Car
    71 Fastback

Default Who has had media blasting done?

Has anyone here had media blasting work done in the Twin Cities area for either small or large parts? I have a lot of media blasting to get done in the spring including an entire air cooled vw chassis but have been on the fence if i want to buy/rent a media blaster and deal with the mess or to source it out to someone that does it for a living.

Car
    2007 328xi

BimmerTim once set up a booth in our garage using tarps and duct tape to sandblast an E30 chassis. I want to say he bought the blaster? Maybe he borrowed/rented it...I can't quite recall. The mess really wasn't too bad.

But for something that large you might be better off doing it yourself if you have the space. Moving an entire chassis across town isn't very easy and I don't imagine it would be super cheap to get it done professionally, either. Plus you can pick away at it at your own pace because sandblasting is easy, it's just time consuming.

Car
    71 Fastback

yeah, i got a few estimates including a mobile media blasting company and it looks like it would be cheaper to buy a media blaster used and do my (and anyone else wanting to do it around that time frame) cars and reselling the blaster. the fastback is already stripped to the shell so blasting it would likely be a weekend activity assuming all went well.

Car
    b6 a4/g-whips/red truck

Quote Originally Posted by The_Stig View Post
    BimmerTim once set up a booth in our garage using tarps and duct tape to sandblast an E30 chassis. I want to say he bought the blaster? Maybe he borrowed/rented it...I can't quite recall. The mess really wasn't too bad.

But for something that large you might be better off doing it yourself if you have the space. Moving an entire chassis across town isn't very easy and I don't imagine it would be super cheap to get it done professionally, either. Plus you can pick away at it at your own pace because sandblasting is easy, it's just time consuming.
    oh there was a mess. I blasted that rear axle and control arms in there. have to take dust settling breaks as you can't see after a while.
    Team B0N4R

Car
    2007 328xi

Quote Originally Posted by the_bomber View Post
    oh there was a mess. I blasted that rear axle and control arms in there. have to take dust settling breaks as you can't see after a while.
    Oh, for sure, I meant more like a not-terrible mess outside the makeshift booth in general.

Car
    E30 M3, B6 USP, Parch

There is a media blasting place just south of Broadway on Central Ave in NE. I've had a few things blasted there, and it was pretty cheap.

I would do this many many times over before I blasted something that large myself again. What a massive pain in the arse.

Car
    2006 VW Jetta TDi

Get a blast cabinet if the parts aren't huge... I do wheels in a cabinet.

Car
    71 Fastback

i need to blast an entire car.

Car
    2006 VW Jetta TDi

Oh, well in that case... haha