Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Car
    '88 GTI, '12 Silverado

Default "͏M͏y First Mopar"

Last year my father told me about a car that his coworker was trying to sell, it had all the things I wasn't looking for in a classic so I turned it down.
    Flash forward to last weekend, ͏m͏y father calls again asking, "Do you have any time freed up for another project?" I say sure, I just finished getting the mk2 ready for this race season and my recent purchase (2000 Lincoln Town Car Cartier) is all buttoned up and on the market. I'm bored.
    So this is being delivered to my shop sometime this week. A car I never thought about or wanted to own:

My 1951 Plymouth Cambridge

Right off the bat I'm looking at getting it put back together. All the parts and trim are inside the car.
    Body seems clean and straight up top and underneath. Engine was running strong before it was stashed away 2 years ago.
    I plan to run the flathead 6 for as long as I can stand it, then plans are to do the played out "s10 chassis" underneath and power it with a SBC.

Car
    MK4

Interesting pick up. Don't think I have ever seen one of these before and it 'looks' quite small compared to other cars of that era. In for more progress.

Car
    71 Fastback

That thing is pretty sweet. ^ It's tiny

Car
    '88 GTI, '12 Silverado

I wouldn't say tiny. It's only about 4 inches shorter in length and 3 inches thinner in width compared to a '55 Bel Air 2 door.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

The S10 chassis would be a good swap, but having done that before I can tell you that you will notice that you have a V8 up front. A V8 is a little too much weight for the S10 suspension.

Consider a late 70's - early 80's passenger car for your donor chassis. Many of them will already have a V8 worth using, and they will ride better.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

It only looks small because it is bubbly and surrounded by greenery. It is not a yacht like cars from the 60's and 70's were, but it is still a good sized vehicle.

Have fun with it. I might be able to help you with questions.

Car
    '88 GTI, '12 Silverado

Yeah after doing a bit more research last night it seems a lot of people opt to just keep the factory frame in these mopars, as there's more than a few options for converting to disc brakes, adding rack and pinion, etc. since the chassis are very similar from 43-56 or so.
    I likely wont tackle anything that heavy duty until I know what my plans are. As of now I'm just going to get it together, figure out what it needs to be road worthy, and go from there. I have no problem putting around in the flat 6 for a bit. I like the tractor sound and feel LOL.

Thanks Chad, I will definitely contact you if I have any questions or concerns as we go along

I guess she won't be delivered until after the 50's... Pictures of rust, dirt, and grease coming soon!

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

Trust me. You will want to swap frames and put a V8 in it.

I thought the exact same thing as you when I bought a 1955 Dodge pickup. Then I spent a small fortune making the brakes work (seriously that old Mopar stuff is spendy), rebuilding the carb, replacing the fuel system, buying tires, and getting it officially road worthy.

I did all this only to find out vehicles this old were never built for the speed of modern highways. That flathead 6 cylinder will get you to 55MPH....... eventually. And you know those signs that suggest crazy low speed limits for curves..... those become accurate.

When it was original, my Dodge was a chore to drive, and I literally couldn't use it on highways. So then I looked into what it would take to make the original chassis handle better, steer better, and basically be more enjoyable to drive. The cost and effort made a chassis swap a no brainer.

Do what you want. I am just telling you from first hand experience that cars that old are a chore to drive on todays roads and with todays level of traffic. You will learn to hate it.

Car
    '88 GTI, '12 Silverado

Hey I'll take all the first hand experience I can get from you! Hahaha
    That all makes perfect sense. I do plan to drive it as much as I can...
    I will make a list of to-dos when I get the car here and in the air, and then compile a pros-cons list for the most cost effective way to get the car on the road by the fall. I'm sure a chassis change is the way to go though, you are right.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

In case you want to see it. Here is my Dodge build.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctruss...57632166516688

Car
    '88 GTI, '12 Silverado

Car
    2006 VW Jetta TDi

I have a big block chevy on an s10 frame, and I would not consider it to be overweight... fwiw

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by Kriesel View Post
    I have a big block chevy on an s10 frame, and I would not consider it to be overweight... fwiw
    An LS motor? Because those are lighter.

Car
    2006 VW Jetta TDi

Negative, 1970-ish 402

Car
    hood scoop

Couldn't you just change the suspension (shocks and spring rates) on the S10 front? A friend did the same thing when he put an inline 6 iron block where a 12a rotary used to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    bitch, you trippin'