Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, NA Miata

Default Brake upgrade on the MK7 Sportwagen

The Mk6 JSW used the same front brakes as the GTI and GLI, which was awesome because you know, big brakes. But sadly the MK7 GSW was only optioned with the smaller 288mm from the Jetta and Golf. I wanted to fix that.

My brakes were new when I bought the car 11K miles ago so this is purely an exercise in vanity. The original brakes were totally acceptable for a DD, although super noisy when cold they worked as you would expect modern brakes to work. I could have just replaced the pads and gotten something with lower dust and less noise but Im not one to replace just the pads, I always do disks while Im in there. So why replace with OE when you can go OEM+ for a small fee.

The conversion is very easy when going to the standard GTI brakes, both cars use the same caliper and pad size. Only the Disk and the Caliper Carrier are larger. I found someone out east who was upgrading to R brakes and would not be needing their carriers any longer so $100 shipped and I had the hard part out of the way. RockAuto was my source for Pads and Disks, about $120 total shipped.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old, baby 288mm disks
    [IMG][/IMG]

New, 312mm disks and red GTI carriers. I would have liked to paint them black or silver but eh, I couldnt be bothered.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Besides the old disks being fused to the hub the whole process is just 2 extra bolts to do the entire swap. Total time with wheels off is less than 30min assuming youre handy.

I didnt do any sort of 60-0 testing with the stock stuff as I cant imagine any real world change beyond the aesthetic and possibly some long-haul-towing heat dissipation but day to day it should feel exactly the same. I will bed them in tomorrow morning and report back if something magical happens.

-Stuart
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    JSW TDI 6MT & 2 Suburbans

So all I need is some GTI carriers and the larger rotors? Nice!
    Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, NA Miata

Correct. You can use your old brake pads but if youre buying new rotors it makes sense to get pads as well. Everything just bolts right back on once you have the new carriers.

After driving around a bit with them I can say you wont really notice any real improvement in stopping power around town. I was able to lock up the fronts and leave some real rubber on the ground even with the ABS coming on while I was doing some 60-0 hard stops so the bite is pretty good and it may overwhelm them abs a bit. Day to day it feels the same.
    Go Green with Diesel.