Car
    82 Cabriolet, 71 Fastback

Default MAP Proving Grounds - BIR - June 8-10 and Sept. 14-16

Anyone planning on going to either/both Proving grounds this year? Going to miss the one this weekend but plan to camp over the weekend for the September event.

http://www.brainerdraceway.com/map-proving-grounds/

Car
    MK4

Never been. Maybe one day.

Car
    '98 Jetta, '91 Jetta

I was planning on taking the Rabbit I've been working on to the September one, I've always been meaning to try autocross. Might try to convince my girlfriend to take a shot at it too. I'll probably just trailer it up and then haul it up to my family's cabin in Emily each night. You'd be welcome to pitch a tent there if you don't want to deal with the drunk people and schenanigans at BIR.

Car

Cool, I may take you up on that. I'm planning on getting the rabbit up there for either the road course, auto-x or both. I still need to pull a tech inspection and group requirements to figure out what catagory i'll be in though.

Car

Anyone know if the spectators coming along need to also buy a ticket? I'm only seeing ATV, Racer and VIP(Camping) Racer tickets.

Car
    '98 Jetta, '91 Jetta

Under "how much will it cost me?" On the website it's saying spectator and racer tickets are the same price, and kinda seems like they're the same thing.

Car
    '88 GTI, '12 Silverado

Sorry I missed this thread. I try to stay away from EW because, well I'd rather not get into it. ANYWAY. Gone and passed but for future reference the ticket price for entry includes camping (depending on how many days you plan to stay) $85 Thursday-Sunday is what I paid. Each racing event has its own entry fee. From $20 (example: drag test and tune, Friday only) to hundreds if dollars (example: HPDE Saturday and Sunday)

Each person needs to pay entry. Each wheeler/bike needs it's own pit pass (another $25 but is good for both PG events).

IMO, I wouldn't waste your time with PG. The only reason I go is to see my old coworkers from MAP (at least, the ones I liked...)
    I've been doing PG for like 7 years and each year it gets worse with underage drinking, accidents, theft, and just general ass-hattery.
    Go to Powercruise. Entry fee includes all events as well as some super fun open lapping of the "big" road course that everyone from DDs to full on race cars run at the same time. Lots of rolling burnouts, and great opportunity to race stuff you wouldn't see in your class.
    And the over $200 entry fee for powercruise keeps the losers out.

Quote Originally Posted by euro View Post
    Cool, I may take you up on that. I'm planning on getting the rabbit up there for either the road course, auto-x or both. I still need to pull a tech inspection and group requirements to figure out what catagory i'll be in though.
    Tech happens each morning, again depending on when you show up, usually opens at 10am.
    If you want to run either autox or the road course you need to pre-register, as they both fill up quickly.
    Last edited by sillywabbit; 06-12-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Car
    06 A3

^+1 to powercruise

Car

I'll have to check that out too if I can swing that this year. I guess I have heard about the theft issues at Proving grounds from other Eurowerks members but I guess i didn't realize that it was that prevalent.

Car
    '88 GTI, '12 Silverado

I'll put the stupidity in to perspective: Friday night me and my small group of friends who do PG are having some beers, plying some music, and talking cars. I am wearing a POLICE hoodie and ball cap (my step daughter is going to be an officer), in walks a drunk minor, you can tell because minors get a different color wristband for the weekend, he proceeded to ask my buddy for some booze as I walked up behind him and asked to see his wristband. Nonetheless I kicked his ass out of our campsite and told him to smarten up. He says "i'm coming back with my friends". The next morning all 3 of our coolers were wide open, ice melted, and all the beer and a couple bottles of booze walked away. I could care less that it was taken, as we've had more expensive things take a walk at PG, but the fact that they did it (likely hammered drunk) pissed us off so much that we ended up moving camp sites Saturday afternoon.
    I have no problem with drunk shenanigans, as I always have a TON OF FUN at nationals (the party atmosphere is ten fold there, only difference is that its all ADULTS) but PG kids, like most kids, piss me off.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

I go to BIR for the NHRA Nationals. So much fun, and zero theft and underage bullshit. Probably because the demographic of the Nationals is a little older.

My friends and I go for the whole week leading up to the main event. The camping area is called "The Zoo" for a reason. Canadians we know come down and set up a fully functional bar. as in bartender and everything. They accept "donations" to avoid being caught selling alcohol. lol

And one of my favorite parts is watching all the crazy pit vehicles created to cruise the campground. One guy I know put a pontoon boat on a suburban chassis. So he cruises around on a pontoon boat. When he stops somewhere to chat, he throws out an anchor. lol

Stupid shit still happens, but it is stupid drunk shit. People respect property and you don't hear about theft.

I went a little too far into this when really my point is I don't hear good things about PG. The Nationals is where its at.

Car
    '88 GTI, '12 Silverado

Powercruise is this weekend. It too is better than PG. Can buy tickets that cover all event entries, including open lapping of the road course. (at least you could when pre-sale was up. No idea about day-of at the gate tickets.)

https://www.powercruiseusa.com/

Car
    '88 GTI, '12 Silverado

PG2 next weekend. I'll be there winning a trophy for the fastest slow car.