Thread: Obsessed Garage

Car
    Wood Motorboat |'15 Tahoe

Default Obsessed Garage

www.obsessedgarage.com

Just curious if anyone here has been following Matt through his YouTube, Podcast, Facebook or Online site?

For those who don't know, long story short (and it is not hard to find him talk about it) Matt was some sort of Money Fund Manager, and had a mental breakdown. Part of his 'therapy' was a recognition of his obsessive nature and reaching out to others. What started as a journal of his processes has turned into a business - now he is a distributor for a few product lines.

Anyway - I find myself a bit fascinated with his content, mostly because he does seem to strive for perfection, even though I am really not into the subject that much anymore. I find myself interested in the products, because he does remove a lot of the mystique and trial & error. I don't have the time (or funds) to try 10 different products - I just want one that works. He does not have any expertise, per se - just experience and opinion.

Lately, I feel conflicted by his turn to make everything about his budding business - it has started to feel a bit like a con. However, i think he does still offer a lot of interesting content. He definitely has a superiority and narcissistic complex which can be a bit tough to get beyond - but it seems like most online personalities do now.

Anyone else follow? Opinions?

Car
    07 GTI, its slow

Never seen it before, guess I have some reading to do

Car
    '03 S10 ZR2,'14 Jetta 5M

Never seen it before either but it is always good to have more places to read about products I probably never knew existed before.

Car
    Wood Motorboat |'15 Tahoe

Like I said, some of the narcissism can be though to overcome - but to be honest I think I have found that comes with the car culture in general. We spend WAY too much time and money on a depreciating asset, which we hope will earn us some sort of status in our societal circles - hoping it is an outward reflection of our success, taste, prowess etc...

His latest podcast was an interview (where he does most of the talking, LOL) with a follower from Australia - part of it talks about the shift from 'therapy' to business and how that is perceived, and if he should care. Ultimately, I don't really care that he makes money off of this - he is providing a service and deserves to make a margin. I just hope he is really true to his mission of finding and reviewing the very best products for the garage. Not just pushing whatever product line supplier pads his pockets the most. Right now it does seem that he picks and chooses which items are best suited, as evidenced by the different brands he is currently endorsing.

I am curious to get others opinion. If nothing else, it is well produced car content.

Car
    2006 VW Jetta TDi

Also never heard of it. Reading...

Car
    '85 Porsche 928S

I've been watching his Youtube for a while now. I found him through Adam LZ. He did his garage for him. Pretty cool stuff. Only gripe is that he does tend to ramble on for waaaaaaaaaaaay too long at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTapper View Post
    It's all good as long as the balls don't touch.

Car
    Stage 3 B5 S4/ MK2 Golf

Ive watched him for a while. I agree, the "packages" he offers seems like a bit of a middle man operation, but again, like the OP suggested, he does take all the guess work out of the products. Some of the videos he goes so in depth about what he is interested in buying is honestly way farther than I would research it. I guess my take on it is that he still has his business, he's a wealth manager by day, so this is just a side gig. Seems irrational to do all of that research and effort into the website would be odd if not for a passion. Plus its also a bonus for me he's an actual adult on youtube. Lots of automotive youtubers use their money like children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiphile View Post
    Im sorry, but your black hub caps do not look like BBS's. They look like black hubcaps