Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, 74 Scout II

What TDI did you buy?
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    71 Fastback

It's a 2011 sportwagen that was bought back but didn't require the bluedef retrofit. Wife loves it, i loved it until i got a speeding ticket in it lol

Car
    71 Fastback

I finally picked up the sheet metal cuts from a early Type 3 i'll be using to repair the tube chassis work done in the front. The sheet metal is a little different from the earlier type 3s to the late type 3s due to relocating the gas filler nozzle and the hood profile changing but seems to be close enough to make it work.
    current state:
    20190202_103224 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
    20190202_103217 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
    Firewall (2 sections top and bottom)
    20190202_091044 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
    Passenger side patch
    20190202_091049 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
    Driver side patch
    20190202_091051 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

working on building a support for the front end when i cut out the tube chassis frame holding the front-end straight and up. Going to tack weld things together with my dinky 110v unsheilded welder so we can load it back onto a trailer to take to my Dad's shop to finish things up with his new spool gun welder. I'm still looking for front and rear suspension so hopefully we can temporary reassemble the rolling chassis for the return trip. Shooting for Summer of 2020 to have it drivable and unknown when i get things painted and finished.

Car
    71 Fastback

Hopefully will have a new car update today or tomorrow. I've been looking at cars on Facebook marketplace and craigslist for a few weeks and might have found what i'm looking for assuming that it is still available. tbd

Car
    Bus, Bike & c5

while i love 3 piece wheels, i personally rarely think an air cooled vw can pull them off. Have you considered 914 fuchs or repros? I have no idea how to embed anymore, but this is a killer looking fastback imo, https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...c.php?t=243333

Even just some 15" silver steels https://www.jbugs.com/product/500-77...html?rrec=true will look great dumped with a smaller tire.
    Listen twice as much as you talk.

Car
    71 Fastback

Quote Originally Posted by Toftii88 View Post
    while i love 3 piece wheels, i personally rarely think an air cooled vw can pull them off. Have you considered 914 fuchs or repros? I have no idea how to embed anymore, but this is a killer looking fastback imo, https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...c.php?t=243333

Even just some 15" silver steels https://www.jbugs.com/product/500-77...html?rrec=true will look great dumped with a smaller tire.
    I thought about it, I have seen a few instances of RS or Gotti 3 pieces that looked alright on a type 3. Honestly i don't like Fuchs on anything but porsches, not a purist thing just body lines and styling wise.

==============
    new project:
    ==============
    Over the last few weeks i've been shopping around for a running project to toy around with but have had terrible luck getting ANYONE to answer their phones or emails on their ads for some reason. few things on the block were:
    - BMW 3 series (E30/E36) two door for a drift missile
    - classic car for drag (amc, novas, impalas, etc.)
    - 89 Olds Custom wagon (idk looked awesome lol)
    - jeep Cherokee/Comanches for off roading
    - Trucks for towing other projects
    - misc japanese sporty cars (integras, rx7, miata, supra, etc.)
    - porsche 911 (HA can't afford this bandwagon)

after about 30 different cars i tried to get ahold of the sellers, i only heard back from 3 of them. One told me to go f myself for some reason, one said it was already sold and one I'm picking up tomorrow

Car
    71 Fastback

Today I Committed to buying my next project car based on Mighty Car Mod dream car wishlist I wrote when I was in Middle school and High School. I started with some basic Mighty Car Mod's style guidelines: Max Cost, manual or manual swapable, race series to build performance and safety to and plan to use low cost but proper maintenance and repair methods to get it back onto the road and to meet tech inspection.

I’d like to introduce #14 on my Budget dream car list.
    20190209_161814 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

20190209_161904 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
    20190209_164715 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
    20190209_164740 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
    20190209_170425 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

It’s a 1995 Acura Integra LS automatic that is surprisingly 100% stock and mostly free from cannibalistic rust. I found it locally on Facebook Marketplace from someone that had just been using it as a daily driver. It was actually a runner up to #10 on my list which was a E36 2 door coupe that despite there being about 6 of them for sale locally on Facebook and Craigslist, Not a single person responded to my emails or phone calls… Ultimately I’m still happy that I get the chance to own and enjoy once of my top 5 cars of the Touge.

Plans for it this year (while I’m still working on the Type 3 Fastback) is to go through all the maintenance that has probably been neglected over the years and to start identifying and fixing the rust on the car to make it something worth holding onto for a long time. Long term I am planning to build it into a Type R Mugen replica (minus expensive trim, stickers and other decorative BS) and racing it in Time attack and SCCA Auto-X while remaining street legal.

Haven’t decided if I am going to try to record going through the video like they would in a MCM episode or not (I had note about it in the dream car list that I would regardless of the car)

bonus:
    here are a few odd/fun things i found in the car already
    stereotypical git rich book
    20190209_161911 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
    tool set missing the usuals (socket handle, 10mm sockets)
    20190209_165039 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
    "extra tires" aka used firestone tires
    20190209_164955 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
    Rolling through a red (right turn) warning LOL
    20190209_170203 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
    original window sticker for the car from Illinois, car was $19K new originally.
    20190209_170425 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
    Last edited by euro; 02-12-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Car
    71 Fastback

Wasn't really looking to hop on working on this thing right away except for basic maintenance but...... I put in my overnight parts from Japan(rockauto) and should have everything delivered in time for next weekend. Went liberal on ordering parts and got a head gasket, shop manual, wrinkle engine paint, brakes, brake pads, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, etc. tires were on the block too but i think the newish tires on the vw steelies should work since their 4x100 and about the right offset.

Hoping to rip around in it a bit this winter before diving into rust repair.

Car
    hood scoop

Nice find.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    bitch, you trippin'

Car
    2006 VW Jetta TDi

Nice acura. Looking forward to the fastback progress. Keep it up!

Car
    71 Fastback

It looks like i'll have a busy weekend working on 3 of the 4 cars since i'm already snowed into my house. We rushed getting the shed together at the end of the year last year and didn't shave down the doors so the moisture expanded the mdf stops and froze the door shut and I can't get the mower out goal (with pictures) is to do the following

======
    Veloster
    ======
    - Trans fluid
    - brake inspection
    - rotate tires
    - vacuum out the interior

======
    Integra
    ======
    assuming all the parts arrive from rockauto
    -get factory Keys cut (found a pair of nos factory key blanks on ebay)
    -wipers
    - cap/rotor/wires/plugs
    - valve cover gasket
    - pads and rotors
    - clean as much of the "BRUH" smell out of the car as possible
    - round 1 degreasing the engine bay and figuring out if there is gas in the a/c system

======
    fastback
    ======
    - continue trimming sheet metal panels to mock up where things will weld to
    - need to pick up some extended bolts the right pitch for the body side tunnel to bolt to the pan so i can spot weld and check for straightness before i go full ham into welding in panels.
    -notching out the bag plate welds to the rear suspension beam so i can pull it off the car for inspection/paint stripping.

Ultimately I think the plan for paneling the front end is
    1. body side tunnel (bolted to original pan side tunnel)
    2. cut off crusty pan side tunnel and bolt on new framehead
    3. wiper shroud (top firewall cut)
    4. steering column shroud (after i get beam with steering box to true up against) (lower firewall cut)
    5. side wheel wells/gas tank tray

Car
    71 Fastback

Started sorting through neglected maintenance on the Integra this morning (cap, rotor, wires, plugs) but ran into a few issues. one was the set screw on the rotor was off just a bit so i couldn't get it out without stripping the screw. Having worked on Mini, Kia, Hyundai, VW, Audi and Jeeps it's the first time I've ever seen a set screw on a dizzy rotor before. Left it for now until i have a chance to look up the trick for aligning that with the sweep for the screw driver. I also ran into an issue with the spark plug on cylinder 4 being pretty well seized. I soaked it with PB blaster over a few days and ran the car to warm up the cylinder head with no luck. I was hoping not to snap it off in the head, however during the warm up run I noticed it was smoking a little from around the head gasket...

Ordered a gasket kit, belts, pcv valve and a few other items. I'm thinking about possibly just having the head refurbished at a shop at this point since this thing is really only going to see tracks and Cars and Coffee events.

I'll be doing all brakes after lunch.

Car
    71 Fastback

spent most of today pulling the front bumper off the integra and inspecting prior damage to various systems on the car. car was definitively in a light front end collision that partially collapsed the plastic portion of the bumper behind the bumper cover and cracked a few of the very elaborate airbox pieces. I decided this was a good time to figure out what the Class requirements were for Solo SCCA racing this year and what class i was planning to build to. Unfortunately the scca rules book is about 390 pages long and written in your standard Legalese/regulation speak but I think i narrowed it down to two classes.

HS (H Street Class) - aka stock
    STS (Street Touring Class) - standard modified car with some restrictions

Based on everything that is currently broken/disrepair/rust, I think STS would be far easier and closer to what i actually wanted to do. It allows for bolt on modifications, racing seat and steering wheel and avoiding tracking down expensive OEM pieces that I have no interest in anyways (airbox components, exterior trim, unobtainium replacement parts.) I'm still trying to find the rule for if A/C delete is Kosher or not.

Car
    71 Fastback

==============
    Integra
    ==============
    Still reading through the SCCA rules for 2019 to finalize what spec i'm building the Integra to. It looks like my best option is actually the F Street Prepared (FSP) for a variety of reasons.
    -A/C delete was allow (failed)
    -stereo system can be removed (blown speakers)
    -cutting of fenders is allowed (might need to see what Rust is considered )
    - allows for complicated airbox snorkle to be removed (mine is damaged)

It also allows for an aftermarket steering wheel to be used that has no weight restrictions (ie. doesn't require weight to be the same as stock with airbag) and rear seat removal.

I can start tearing down the engine for cleanup and new gaskets once i lock that in as removing the A/C system will be easier with the engine partially disassembled. also sourced a company that can get me two complete Type R quarter panels without rust for about $500 which should effectively take care of all the major rust on the car less the A-Pillar stuff.

==============
    House stuff
    ==============
    Oven died on us yesterday after i cleaned the inside with some fumeless oven cleaner. It kept throwing an error even when off about the temperature probe, prove was $80 for a 12+ year old oven. Reluctantly bought a new oven...

==============
    Fastback
    ==============
    Found a local guy that has a complete rear IRS suspension for a reasonable amount. It was a drum setup but beggars can't be choosers.

Car
    2006 VW Jetta TDi

Quote Originally Posted by euro View Post
    one was the set screw on the rotor was off just a bit so i couldn't get it out without stripping the screw. Having worked on Mini, Kia, Hyundai, VW, Audi and Jeeps it's the first time I've ever seen a set screw on a dizzy rotor before.
    Drill out the screw. Forget about it... As far as I know, it only holds the rotor in place until the wheel is clamped on. That's what I do anyway... I've had a bunch of those screws strip out.