Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Car
    71 Fastback

Had some help from the farfromwerkin crew today getting the fastback on the chassis stand today
    Last edited by euro; 11-10-2018 at 09:00 PM.

Car
    71 Fastback

Decided I had a wild hair up my ass and decided to immediately start hacking away the tube chassis work in the front to start measuring and trimming for the new frame head and firewall.
    Not really thrilled that the front end moved a quarter of an inch when i cut the front lower supports out.
    20181111_103839 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

20181111_103856 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

20181111_112738 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

20181111_112751 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

20181111_112800 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

20181111_114938 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

20181111_112803 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

20181111_114955 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

No biggie. When I Z'ed the frame on my hot rod things moved around almost an inch. I just said FU, welded on something I could use for leverage, and clamped it back together.

Car
    71 Fastback

I switched gears last night and started working on the Rabbit some more as well as started looking for what will eventually take the Rabbit's place by the end of next year. Engine, transmission and ecu are likely spoke for already with a few odds and ends going to be for sales after that. Fastback is coming together nicely with most of the front tube chassis work having been removed at this point. I will be trimming and tack welding in the body side of the tunnel first and then removing the lower chassis part and welding that part in.

Car
    71 Fastback

Tougebunny is fully dismantled at this point and I've come up with a new idea for the remaining shell firewall back that will slowly take place as i have time. Fastback is currently buried behind a wall of rabbit parts and home construction debris so work will probably be delayed for awhile until i can get most of the rabbit parts sold. Otherwise, I just started a new consulting job that will be keeping me busy for awhile so we'll see if I have time to locate, buy and repair an ice racer before January at this point.

Car
    hood scoop

You are almost single-handedly keeping this forum alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    bitch, you trippin'

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by derp View Post
    You are almost single-handedly keeping this forum alive.
    Hopefully my house will stop needing attention soon and I can get back on my hot rod build. Take some of the burden off of our man here.

Car
    hood scoop

I updated the Supra here and there but people apparently stopped paying attention.

Kinda miss when this forum was active. Fucking Facebook killed car forums.
    bitch, you trippin'

Car
    71 Fastback

lol well Facebook is good at killing if you've looked at their stocks lately. I'm kinda hoping it keeps trending downwards. Facebook is a literal nightmare to find anything on that isn't a sales ad and good troll threads don't exist. I'm still habitually check about 6-8 forums a day and try to keep updating my threads from time to time to keep things alive.

Haven't done much with the cars lately due to my new consulting job taking me to St. Paul during the week for a divestiture project. The job is very interesting and I'm really enjoying the work over doing Business Helpdesk work. However after traffic I've been getting home fairly late and haven't had the urge to start doing precision sheet metal work on the fastback. I'm hoping by late January or early February that things will lighten up and i can continue getting that ready for paint. House work has really been coming along though, HVAC is done, basement debris is cleaned up, 500 feet of electrical wires removed for the baseboard electric heat, holes for thermostats patched and painted, chimney fully removed and sealed off and Closet refinished. Next thing on my list is replacing baseboard, door and window frames in 6 rooms.

oh just for fun, I checked the difference in electrical usage since removing the baseboard heat. December 2017 at 55 degrees vs. December 2018 at 70 degrees

Car
    2006 VW Jetta TDi

Quote Originally Posted by euro View Post
    I'm still habitually check about 6-8 forums a day and try to keep updating my threads from time to time to keep things alive.
    Ditto...

I just finished up some HVAC work at home as well, and waiting to see how it effects both my natural gas and electric bills. Got geothermal installed. It's too new to tell yet though.

Car
    07 GTI, its slow

Nice

Car
    hood scoop

Hi Nathan!
    bitch, you trippin'

Car
    71 Fastback

Time for the monthly update. Decided I'm going to use this year to catch up and finish off existing projects before taking on anymore. Rabbit partout is about half way, Office is finally finished (installed shelving to get our various souvenirs and years of Christmas gifts out of their boxes finally..), Furnace allowed me to start ripping out baseboard electric heaters (which apparently were drawing a lot of power even when off), ripped out and reinsulated where the chimney was which helped with the already near free gas bill, basement cleanup is finish and ready to be refurnished, etc. etc. etc.

house projects:

Car Projects:
    for the most part are at a stand still due to poor heating from my propane torpedo heater and pure lack of time from my new career in IT consulting. I will be getting the entirety of the sheet metal i need for the fastback restoration from a guy in Georgia who was chopping up a parts car he had laying around. The catch being that the sheet metal is from an earlier year fastback so there is a lack of provisioning for the hood springs and fender side gas filler in the early sheet metal that my late model would typically have. since this isn't going to be a barrett jackson restoration I decided it really didn't matter. The Rabbit shell is tucked as far back as i could get it so i could still service the Sportwagen and Veloster inside during the winter. If someone made and offer on it it would go away; if someone doesn't make an offer on it, I'll be throwing a T-bucket frame under it and making my own version of that ratrod Rabbit I've seen a handful of pictures of over in eastern Europe.

On a side note, I finally met Mahoney the other day after following his minimal posts over the last 10 years or so

Car
    337, Scirocco, GT, Ranger

Because I remember pointless stuff like this, I'm 99% sure that you met Mahoney at Campwerks in 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    Now is where I politely tell you to go fuck yourself.

Car
    71 Fastback

Lol it's entirely possible, I don't remember much of multiple Campwerks

general car stuff:
    A majority of the Rabbit parts have sold at this point which has freed up the extra spot in the garage to get some work done on the TDI and the Veloster. I have also sealed the deal on the front sheet metal for the fastback from an early T3 parts car and for a complete disc brake front beam. I'm also casually looking for 3 piece wheel face set to build out a set of staggered wheels for the fastback that aren't thousands of dollars now.

general house stuff:
    We're making our way though trim work in the upstairs of the house and hope to be done before spring. We were also starting to plan our bathrooms remodel but might have the city trying to plumb water and waste to our neightborhood so we're postponing until we know if our Spetic/Well need to be modified.

Hoping to have some more pictures when the garage is a bit warmer.