Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Car
    82 Cabriolet, 71 Fastback

Did a quick mockup over the weekend of the engine to the trans before getting some bolts/studs to mount the two together. Still looking for a lock engine mounting bar so i can bolt it up into the car.
    Mockup by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
    Mockup by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

also worked on finishing the quick crappy paint on the fender wells in the cabriolet to get everything back together and running. I plan to drive it to a shop to fix the soft top on it since i still can't get my topper to fit correctly on the damn thing after I tear it down to the chassis one last time and media blast the whole shell to re-spray at the same time as the fastback.

on a side note, FFFFF downpipe flange is upside down probably just going to hack the exhaust side off and weld it back on upside down so i don't have to buy a complete new exhaust yet.
    20180713_191457 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

Car
    MK4

Forgot to mention sooner, we got a corgi puppy over a month ago. He's 3.5 months now. We'll have to have a corgi meet.

Car
    337, Scirocco, GT, Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by TurboCrayon View Post
    Forgot to mention sooner, we got a corgi puppy over a month ago. He's 3.5 months now. We'll have to have a corgi meet.
    Squeeee!!! I do not have a corgi, but I'd like to attend said meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    Now is where I politely tell you to go fuck yourself.

Car

It is decided, Corgiwerks meet at my house, with campfire and beer.

Car
    MK4

Someone make sure to invite Chrissy. I have a feeling she'd totally be down for that.

Car

forgot to post my recent work on the TougeBunny.

After throwing everything together half-assed when we moved into our house last fall, I started finding a lot of things i cut corners on that were either unsafe or had me shaking my head at.
    -clutch not fully disengaging
    - exhaust manifold studs and gasket needed to be cut off/removed
    - old suspension bushing were disintegrating
    - brake lines were disintegrating to the point of expanding under pressure (yikes)
    - steering rack boots torn
    - all ball joints were destroyed
    - 30 lbs of undercoating
    - etc. etc.

so pulled everything apart, scraped the fenders free of about 8 lbs of the undercoating and recoated with primer and paint temporarily until i can get an air needle scalar. Ordered Poly bushing kit for the entire car, new tie rods, ends and boots and ball joints. Repainted the steering rack and a few odds and ends suspension pieces. Engine and Trans will go back in after suspension is sorted out and I am shooting to get things running safely by the Rask's wedding in August (gotta have some kind of goal)

OutlaVw fastback got a test coat of primer on the hood to see how refined i'm going to have to sand things to get a semi-show finish. I'm definitively thinking I'll invest in a paint gun setup when the time is right for those long paint runs. rattle can struggled to give me an even flow of paint

photobomb
    Transmission issue by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

Transmission issue by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

Proving grounds prep by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

Proving grounds prep by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

20180713_182706 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

20180713_183428 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

20180710_164714 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

20180710_155521 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

20180716_194453 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

20180716_174625 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

20180719_205203 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

20180719_205210 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

Car
    855T

Some day I'm going to build an airplane/Then I'm going to die in a plane crash
    The motorcycle is a work of art, a testament to the corner gods, and as with all religious endevours, requires a bit of ceremony and respect.

Car

This week I finally received my pile-O-parts i ordered through Amazon for rebuilding my steering rack and replacing all of the 36 year old bushings front to back.
    2 Beck/Arnley 103-3070 manual rack and pinion boots
    2 Febi-Bilstein tierod inner/outer rods
    2 Delphi lower ball joints
    1 Prothane 22-2008 polyurethane bushing kit for a manual rabbit (red)

The rebuild had issues...mostly with the parts i ordered not fitting. The tie rods fit perfectly and matched the VW/Audi OEM ones i pulled off the rack and the Delphi lower ball joints came with better hardware than came from the factory (12.8 grade coated hardware) But I was disappointed that Beck/Arnley and Prothane didn't really Q/A their parts for fitment and cataloging.

Beck/Arnley boots:
    -listed as either automatic or Manual rack, left or right (didn't think to cross check the part number before ordering, no boot size listed)
    - fits the driver side to the tie rod shaft directly (rather than the rubber grommet that comes on OEM style tie rods) and to the rack just fine.
    - does NOT fit the passenger side rack side.
    - manual rack and pinion for Mk1 (at least what is in the cabriolets) is 2" diameter on the driver side and 1.5" on the passenger side. boots are all 2"(this is listed across several brands and vendors)

Prothane (specifically the rack and pinion bushings):
    - fit to the rack and bracket perfectly (the shaped driver side mount is literally molded from an OEM bushing)
    - however the bushings were not checked flat to chassis mount and have almost a 1/4" of extra material
    - cutting and/or shaving the bushing is an option on the passenger (round) side but the driver side one is literally copied from a rubber OEM mount and would leave almost no material between the rack and chassis if i shave it down.
    - putting spacers (too late anyways as i tried to hand cut the bushing), This presents a couple of potential issues with steering geometry, shifter linkage geometry and exhaust manifold interference.
    - putting OEM style bushings in (more $$$$ and can't return two bushings from a kit)
    Last edited by euro; 11-30-2018 at 01:56 PM.

Car

ended up saying eff it and used an impact to slowly bolt down the steering brackets. Nothing immediately blew up so I'll be torture testing it someone closed off to makes sure nothing (like the bolt replacing the rack stud) break off. hoping to have the rest of the mounts and bushings replaced by the end of the week so the engine and trans can go back in.

Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, NA Miata

I had a similar issue with the control arm prothane bushings all being a little big compared to stock. I dont remember if my steering rack bushings were big, I can imagine they were. everything works fine but even on stock suspension I get a much harsher ride than I figured. Oh well. million year old car and all.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car

=======================================
    TougeBunny
    rebuilt steering rack with poly bushing: Done (except one passenger boot)
    lower control arms with poly bushings and new ball joints: Done
    Brakelines: going in on Sunday and bleeding the entire system for fresh fluid
    Rear mk1 harness: starting on Sunday to splice to the Mk3 pigtails to finish up the difficult part of the wiring.
    engine/trans: waiting on engine and trans mounts (Justin said he might have some for me)

It's going to be slow this month with various acquisitions going on at work and weddings literally every weekend this month. Still hoping to get a few things wrapped up on the Rabbit so i can drive it again.

OutlaVw
    mostly on hold to finish the rabbit but I've been keeping an ear out for a parts car or possibly and entire running car that mine can become the parts car for. I'm kinda just shooting for driveable on this for now as well so i can take a break from car projects to take care of some house stuff and go on some long road trips.

Yeti's Den
    Now that Katie and I have a wagon in the household again we can resume some of the projects we started this spring.
    Baseboard: for living room, hallway, guest bedroom, master bedroom
    Window/door frames: for the same rooms
    Exterior door: for the garage so we're not just dumping heat out into the tundra during winter.
    HVAC: This is our major project for keeping heating costs down and keep the house a consistent temperature. cooling costs haven't been bad honestly so far we averaged $400-450 a month during the cold months in winter and about $100 during the summer. negating the actual cost of installing HVAC from scratch in our home we're looking at closer to $150-200 combined during the winter months and about $100-150 during the summer. I think we'll be converting our waterheater to gas as well around the same time to save another $40 or so a month on our 9 year old waterheater

oh yah, finally got some recaros

Oh herro! by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

Car
    Beater '01 S8

$400 on heating PER MONTH!?! That is absurd.
    I have no responsibilities so instead of saving my money for the future I throw it at a poop chute Audi

Car

Baseboard electric heating paired with an electric water heater. It was cold last winter.

Car

There's been a lot going on so i'm just going to bullet point everything
    ================================================== ===============
    Yeti's Den *aka house*
    - destroyed the basement (demo for HVAC)
    - HVAC getting installed on the 30th of this month
    - built a yard shed to get the yard work crap out of my garage lol

OutlaVw
    - found parts type 3 motor (fuel injected) that was converted to carburetor (could go either way during the rebuild)
    - found parts type 3 frame head so i can mount the stock front beam on the car again
    - still working out getting parts car with full suspension so i can finish sheet metal and suspension work over the winter

TougeBunny
    - For Sale $2200 as an almost complete (work wise) project
    - aircraft cleaner and sanded down driver's rear quarter panel to get rid of the massive bondo slab someone built on it to take care of a very small dent...
    - end of winter goal is to finish body work for respray
    - end of spring goal is sold or softtop redone in black by someone that knows what they are doing lol

Lesser Known Projects:
    - Katie and I are working on getting a permanent and regular gaming stream going called "Yeti's Den" on youtube and "absolute_yeti" on Twitch

pictures for TL;DR to come

Car

OutlaVw new frame head, getting a section from a guy out of state just before the pedal cluster mounting