Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Car
    82 Cabriolet, 71 Fastback

I grew up with the understanding that Tig was the better way to go for autobody work but recently I've been digging up a bunch suggesting that the gap between the two is negligible now days. Would a 120v Mig be good enough to do most of the non-structural work in this case (ie. not Cages, braces, etc.)?

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

Yes. 120V MIG would be just fine. Even for some structural stuff.

Car

Well I haphazardly listed the cabriolet project for sale in a few places to see if anyone was interested in this sort of thing. not super motivated to sell it but not really motivated to keep it either. During taking pictures of it I did end up finally rebuilding both door handles to work properly and the key mechanism on the driver's side now works flawlessly. Reinstalled the euro bumpers, finished installing the Trabant Foglights and decided not to install the air dam (looks funky with the round headlights). If the cabby sells i'll focus on the fastback body work for the rest of the year and maybe casually look for an AE86 or Rx-7 FC TII again.

Otherwise, we've also listed Katie's dodge up for sale to get her a much newer car, this will probably replace the cabrio mk3 as well as the rust and topper are falling apart at an unbelievable rate. might cage and ice race it if she is down for that.

Car

It's craigslist week from hell already trying to sell the Dodge and Cabby, I honestly can't believe the number of people who don't read is as high as it is.

================================================== ========
    TougeBunny
    This week i'm going to try to fix the topper again with Katie to see if i can get the roof closed and rear window cut in. I was working on cleaning out the Cabby to get it ready to sell and ended up removing the door window sill covers that were cracked and polishing up the paint under them. look pretty nice actually. I also started cleaning up the hole i cut into the rain tray so the ecu harness could be permanently mounted. less wiring i might actually complete everything on the car.

OutlaVw
    Bought a pack of 50 80-grit sanding discs for the orbital sander to go to town on the fastback. metal up near the rear passenger seals is solid but clearly rusty, otherwise the car is fairly nice all things considering. Still trying to arrange pickup of the fastback parts car in Alexandria so i can start welding repair panels onto the car.

Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, NA Miata

even the ones who do write well, or read at all, getting them to follow through on any sort of deal is pulling teeth.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car

==================
    Craigslist story time:
    ==================
    So the Cabby has been up on Craigslist for a week or two now with a pretty basic description, OBO price and some pictures of the car from different angles. I immediately got the usual spambots that to get you to directly email their insane at g mail .co m address that no one ever would create, whatever. Had one guy ask if it ran (tl;dr), one that offered to trade me an AR-15 with accessories only if i delivered the car to his house in North Dakota and one guy that asked if my "911 coupe" was for sale...

Okay, yeah it sort of looks like an aircooled 911 without any panels and from 40 feet away. Politely told the guy that it was not a 911, that it was a 71 vw fastback (type 3) and deleted his email. I was actually a little surprise when the guy emailed me back and told me "No that's a 911 coupe, Porsche never made a volkswagen coupe." and suggested that I make sure i wasn't scammed with the title... So I sent him one more picture of the 3/4 from the front with all the panels on the car and politely told him again that it's a 71 Type 3 made by Volkswagen and invited him to google it. At this point I did get another email from the guy just as my ad was flagged and taken down telling me he was going to call the police on me for insurance fraud. I simply reposted my ad and ignored him after that but it was f-ed up enough to share.

so from this point on I guess I'll refer to my fastback as a rare one off porsche made by volkswagen but not really.

Car

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ce-car-project

I think this guys Resto-build of an old track mk1 might have rekindled my interest in working on the TougeBunny (still not the wiring ) All the fabrication, rust repair and eventual paint portion that I enjoy in pictures each step of the way reminded me that the next stage of TougeBunny after it is running is the part i've been waiting for years to do. Going to try to finish up wiring after we're done with housework and such for our housewarming party in June and drive it a little before fall!

Car

We are hosting our open house on June 2nd from noon to midnight. We will be grilling out, playing yard games, campfire, drinking and the garage will be open to check out the projects. If anyone is interested, PM me and i will shoot you my address.

BYOB
    we'll have snacks, burgers, etc. available for anyone.

Car

================================
    TougeBunny
    Last night I decided I was in a power tool using mood so I broke out the grinder to work on finally cutting off the last exhaust header bold that is wedged under the manifold down draft. Unfortunately, I found out that with the axles, wiring, etc still in the car I could not get the grinder up in a position to cut just the header bolt. I decided to take the opportunity to take care of misc things i cut corners on when i bolted everything up to move the car from my last apartment into our house. Plan is to drop the engine for new header studs and gasket and to clean and paint the engine block, Fix the clutch adjustment issue, new engine trans mounts, new ball joints, new rotors, pads, etc. then shave the engine bay

Things escalated very quickly

OutlaVw
    After the house warming party is over, I'll be building a sanding "chamber" around the shell so i can either media blast the rest of the shell or keep poking away at orbital sanding it. I did attempt to drop the pan from the chassis but found that the hacked up tube chassis work is welded to the pan and the chassis in a few places. I will need to restore the front and rear sheet metal prior to cutting that bracing out unfortunately. Assuming that the person that had the parts car i need to finish all bodywork on the car hasn't already scrapped it, I still need to arrange pickup of the car from Alexandria. Plan is still to get the chassis metal restored and coated before winter this year.

Car

Last night I finally got around to dropping the engine and trans again to look at a few things i cut corners on when i last moved the vehicle from my apartment to my new home last year. Started with finally cutting off the last exhaust manifold stud that was tucked under the outlet of the manifold and will replace the studs after painting the engine and cylinder head. Also started on removing the factory raintray to start working on a special Kamei hoodscoop fed air duct system since the HVAC was long ago removed. I will be rewelding the decapitation hood and the vin number plate to the remaining rain tray when i'm done to keep things looking semi factory.
    No turning back by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
    No turning back by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

I will be finishing up ripping apart the front end in a few weeks to finish shaving unused brackets, lightening up some panels and reinforcing the chassis before repainting things and rebuilding the suspension/brake system.

Car

I'm playing around with different engine/trans combos for the fastback that will allow me to maintain the original shape of the body as best as possible. So far the options I've came up with for a longitudal configuration was to use the DC (type 3 manual), 091(porsche/VW aircooled manual), corvette or porsche 924 transaxle (need to do more research) or i could throw a 4 cylinder engine with a transverse transmission in and use basically any transmission ever made for a fwd car.

20171217_113311 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

1968-volkswagen-Type-3-Fastback-backseat by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

Car

We ended up finally selling the 98 cabrio yesterday which as of the last year or so didn't get driven much and was starting to get past the point of no return. In turn we bought a riding lawnmower with thatcher, bagger, and snowblower attachment. #oldmanexcited

Fastback is pushed to the side for now to make room until we build our shed. and make room in the front garage. pictures and more a little later.

Car

Moved the deadline up for the TougeBunny to get it running and roadworthy by the Rask's wedding in August and trackworthy by September for Proving Grounds. Ended up deciding not to run the GTI airdam or the Kamei Hood scoop on the car after all and will be putting them up for sale soon. I kept looking at the car with them mocked up and i just wasn't feeling it anymore, the Airdam doesn't line quite right against the Cabby round headlight end and the hood scoop took away from the OEM bodylines just a little too much for my liking.

Fastback likely won't get any more progress this year while i work on getting a shed build, getting central air installed, getting a gas water heater and new piping installed and fixing a bunch of electric bs from multiple previous owners of our house. BUT I will have 220v electric and gas heating in the garage by the end of the year to run an air compressor and welder.

no other car events or exciting happenings going on for the rest of the year after that.

Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, NA Miata

What about an NA Subaru 2.5l in the fastback?
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car

no thanks, besides the fact they almost always need re-surfacing of the heads on pulled engines due to the cruddy headgasket issue. I picking up an as-41 air cooled engine for cheap today that will mate up to the factory everything that is there already. project fastback is becoming project slowback lol

I'm taking a break from cars for awhile after the rabbit and fastback are done. too many years of working on them and too few driving them.
    Last edited by euro; 07-12-2018 at 07:39 AM.