Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Car
    71 Fastback

Over the last week or so I've been working on the Fastback and making a list of final things for the rabbit to get the ball rolling for the summer.
    1998 Cabrio (wife's car) needs a coolant flush and soft top repair
    1982 rabbit needs coolant routing, wiring and a brake tune up before i start driving it around to re-break the engine in.
    1970/71 Fastback was stripped down of fenders, doors and hood; Vaccuumed out of crud and the last of the interior bits carefully removed and stored in some boxes for now. I also went through all the boxes o' parts that came from Jesse and Brett to see what i have for head lights, tail lights, indicators, etc. turns out i have a metric ton of tail light lens and bezels thankfully.

A little mock up of what it would look like on speedlines.

and this is what i'm working with in the front end

it was hard to pick only two pictures of the hundreds i've taken so far but these two pretty well capture what the front end looks like from the PO. There's currently some mounting brackets for independent suspension in the front that i can't really make sense of the top section (not that it really matters). Currently I have the lower bulk head sheet metal that bridges the gap between fender wells and bolts to the floor pan but am missing the upper firewall, lower fender wells, trunk liner/gas tank mounting and the front framehead pictured below.

They don't currently make a reproduction piece for any of the type 3s but they do make them for Ghia's and Beetles but are technically different in design and size. I'm looking to get a hold of a 68-76 beetle framehead and beam axle soon to do some measuring to see if it can be substituted. Otherwise the next project is to get a car canopy setup next to the garage to put the wife's Cabrio in during the summer and building my chassis work stand to start sanding and repairing the chassis.

Car
    71 Fastback

I think in the coming months I should be a little more regular on progress on various projects now that I've had the chance to back down from many day to day things that had been eating up my energy and time over the last 6 months. As of Tomorrow, I've decided to stop using a great number of social media sites, news feeds and other sources of constant blasting of BS that everyone seems so fond of spreading now days. This in turn has already opened up time for me to enjoy reading books again, catch up on some personal goals I've been putting off for years and generally be less stressed overall. I will still be updating and participating on the forums but have completely dropped facebook, twitter, removed news rss feeds and generally unplugged from shit. Moving on to the things you actually cared about.

================================================== ============================================
    TougeBunny
    ================================================== ============================================
    I am still procrastinating finishing the engine bay wiring and fixing the throttle cable mount so the intake manifold can go back on the car. Technically I think everything should be ready to button up so i can finish wiring the rear taillight harness and various column lever functions. I'll be test driving all summer to see if I need to get anything tuned. Otherwise, I used the dents in the hood as a practice spot to learn how to handle a dolly and hammer. I'm currently using the cheap Harbor Freight set which seems alright but the handles on the hammers feel like they're made of balsa wood. The two potatoe camera pictures roughly show the inward dent and the outward sharp dent (from the trottle cable bracket)
    Before:

After:

At this point I don't think it will get painted this year but I would at least like to get the panels straighten as best as i can and coated.
    OutlaVw
    I have also started working on stripping down the 3 sets of doors i have for the fastback to see what i have to work with. all 3 sets of door panels were basically rotten but I did get a few sets of window cranks, door pulls and arm rests that can be used on the new door panels I'm probably going to make myself.

I've also started working on the front fenders to see if i can De-Shave them to revert to the factory front bumper, blinkers, etc.

Tougester
    I curse the little handed engineer at Hyundai that requires the fusebox to be removed to get at the driver's side headlight bulb housing.

finally figured out that i could carefully unbolt the fusebox and move it over just enough not to electrocute myself with an adjustable pliers for leverage.
    Yeti's Den
    Once the weather clears up a bit snow and rain wise I will be tackling the baseboard, door and window trim in the living room, hallway, guest and master bedroom. I had been putting it off so I didn't have to stick up the house or move either of the convertibles outside in the middle of this years very snowy winter. pictures will follow whenever I end up getting that done lol

Car
    BMW X1

What are your plans about handling next winter for heat?
    “We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

Car
    71 Fastback

We're working on installing central air this summer with the help of a family friend who's a retired hvac guy. Since our basement is kinda torn up anyways we just said f it and are demoing the drywall ceiling to install all of the duct work, install cat 5e and redo some of the electrical. Should be a lot less expensive winter next year once the furnace is up and running. I'm also adding insulation to all 3 roof sections of the house to get it up to modern recommendations. I'll grab some pictures the next time i'm working on it, the garage insulation was a mess. The previous owners or the owners before them just tossed the bails of insulation into the attic without laying them down which explained the horrible draft I was getting even after re-sealing the garage door. If we start getting caught up on things I may also plumb gas to the garage for a natural gas heater before next winter so it's available.
    Last edited by euro; 03-30-2018 at 08:17 AM.

Car
    BMW X1

Perfect, felt bad it as such a shitty winter. We didn't break 140 with our gas bill and I'm STILL going to add more blown in insulation this summer.
    “We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

Car
    71 Fastback

grabbed some before shots of the insulation in the garage attic

Towards the outside wall

Towards the outside wall and a mysterious electrical box, haven't look to see if there is anything in the box yet.

Towards the front and towards the house

Towards the house and the access hole to the mud room attic

thug life

Car
    71 Fastback

======================
    Tougebunny - Roadblock/Ragequit
    ======================
    so I was working on finishing up the wiring harness for the engine bay so i can finally get things buttoned up when the snow clears. Painstakingly traced every ecu pin out to it's destination to verify wire quality and necessity (found and removed some A/C left overs) I got a little nervous when the ECU pin 33 for the ground for the Sensors Ground (Knock, Coolant, Throttle, Exhaust Gas Temp, Intake Air Temp, RPM, Manifold Pressure, Acceleration Sensors) was brown/blue instead of brown (my first indication that this was maybe not a obd-1 harness) I systematically went through the differences at A2resource's chart for Motronic and realized the wires that were OBD-2 I had never looked at because they didn't need to be removed/modified. I'm honestly pissed at myself for having not looked earlier on at the ECU build date or verifying the OBD1 vs OBD2 port wiring (which would have been a separate, un-needed dash harness)

#ragequit

maybe I'll revisit the project in a few weeks/months

Car
    71 Fastback

======================
    Specifics of the wiring/ecu issue:
    ======================
    ECU: 037 906 259 X
    identified as MK3 2.0 8V '96 OBD 2
    from: http://techtonicstuning.com/main/ind...roducts_id=466
    After extensively looking for what the X revision ECU belonged to i found this to be the only English version i found so far.

My best guess is the engine/harness/ecu came from either a late 90's jetta or a MK3 Cabrio

I'm going to source a new harness based on whatever model I get the ECU tracked down to and start over.

================================================
    Spent this morning doing some research on both the OBD1 and OBD2 ABA to figure out if there was anything mechanical i replaced i need to go back and check.
    ============
    Cylinder Head:
    ============
    I did come across this in a data thread on VWVortex which I found interesting,
    "-It is important to note that during the 1995.5 and 1996.5 model years, there was sometimes a mix and match of parts. Some cars came with OBDII heads with OBDI valvetrain parts, ect. There is a ghost head out there. It's the OBDII "German" head. It has large OBDI ports (no shrouds), single valve springs, no spring seats, and smaller JH sized spring seat bores. In order to upgrade the valvetrain, you must machine the spring seats open to accommodate the dual springs seats."
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4966752-TECH-Differences-between-OBDI-amp-OBDII-heads-and-blocks&highlight=tech
    https://www.diyauto.com/manufacturers/volkswagen/generations/golf-2/diys/obdi-vs-obdii-aba-engines-by-tdogg74

So what i'm gathering based on my build stamps and info online is that i might have a Frankensteined OEM head.. as most of the build stamps are either 1995 or 1996

============
    Rotating Assembly:
    ============
    Since the block is most likely OBD2, I would have the cast crank
    oil squirters: unknown
    pistons: unknown but i seem to remember seeing the "castle" style when i had the cylinder head off the car

============
    Wiring and sensors
    ============
    OBD1:
    -has the external ISV attached to the exterior of the upper manifold
    OBD2:
    -has the TPS (throttle position switch) integrated eliminating the dashpot and ISV.
    -has secondary air injector from manifold to airbox (mine was missing the wiring and bracket for the secondary air pump suggesting it didn't have one.

-OBD2 vw OBD 1 O2 sensors pigtails

Last edited by euro; 04-08-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Car
    71 Fastback

Made a spontaneous run to East Bethel UPullRParts yesterday to browse and get a fresh look at the issues with the Mk1 swap. It was actually refreshing to be able to wander around without much of an objective. I ended up finding a few things I need to work through the OBD1 vs OBD2 hangup. I found an intact OBD2 dash harness as well as the little block that one of the VSS sensor connectors connects to and I found a late model MK1 cabby that I pulled a driver side door handle so i can finally open my door from the outside as I apparently had 5-6 passenger handles and no useable driver side handles

I'm just going to roll with it for now, working tonight on wrapping the harness and dropping it back into the car in the mean time so i can drive it. I still need to finish installing the new header studs and downpipe to complete the exhaust and come up with a final path for coolant routing. I'm currently looking at replacing the radiator and fan (with separate fan relay circuit from factory harness) prior to ordering coolant hoses but I've also been toying with the idea of a 16V AEG ITB swap running standalone so tuning becomes a little easier. Ultimately, the plan is still a corner balanced Autocross/hillclimb layout so I'm getting it running for the summer before i start tucking things away for the final product. I'm always open to suggestions from anyone.
    Last edited by euro; 04-09-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Car
    337, Scirocco, GT, Ranger

The stock aba upper radiator hose and cabby lower hose work fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    Now is where I politely tell you to go fuck yourself.

Car
    71 Fastback

I finally caved and decided to pick up some under mount aerolatch hood pins for the TougeBunny after shopping around for hours to find a reasonably priced OEM hood latch to replace the striker that broke on the hood spring. I'm planning on eventually painting them to match and anodizing the hardware to match the rest of the trim (post paint). Weather suggests that we are finally done with the snow for the winter so i can finally resume some of my house projects as well to get things read for our house warming party and for getting the TougeBunny ready to drive for the summer season.

More exciting news is Katie (Frau) and I are getting rid of her dodge finally to get her into a new vehicle. Generally she is looking for an automatic subaru or other import wagon. We have also tossed around the idea of getting rid of the mk3 cabrio as well but haven't fully decided. It's getting to the point of no as rust, a hit and run last year that creased some metal near the tail lights and the soft top is tearing along the seams. At this point it's probably worth it's weight in parts and scrap metal but does run and drive. idk.

I've been trying to decide if i'm going to just start making bi monthly posts in this thread or not at all at this point. Katie hasn't been able to login due to missing website components, It seems like Chad, Justin, Danny and I seem to be the only regulars now and thread views seem to consist of a 15:1 ratio of Bots to Users. #facebookkilledtheforumstar
    Last edited by euro; 04-17-2018 at 08:35 AM.

Car
    71 Fastback

[Place holder for pictures from tonight.]
    Tonight I'll be running down the safety specs for SCCA and Dragon hill Climb club's against the TougeBunny. Realistically, It won't be ready by the end of the year but I'd like to start doing some autocross and eventually make a trip to the dragon in it.
    http://dragonhillclimb.com/

Car
    71 Fastback

Someone over on Vortex gave me a few links to a similar project that had a TON of technical data in it. starting to dig through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Wombat View Post
    Ah OK. I see the shaved and filled parts under the front fenders now. I never liked the later big taillights, turn signals, and bumpers. I had a '67 for a short while, did an IRS swap of the whole rear end and played around with it in the desert, but never got it road legal.

Check out Nate's square on STF if you haven't already. He's done some great things with his car, 911 front suspension, injected, autocrosses with it regularly, etc.

https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/hma_8_13_15

http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=138443

That is amazing, thanks for sending me that!
    We finally had a few days in a row of 60-70 degree weather which dried up all the snow between the side of the garage and the garage so I moved fastback inside to start on body work and make room for the parts car I found to restore all the factory sheet metal.

next hangup is getting an electrician out to my house to rewire our sub-panel to allow for a 220 outlet in the garage so i can start welding in patch panels. I think in the mean time though I will work on straightening what is there and getting it down to the baremetal

Car
    '98 Jetta, '91 Jetta

Lincoln makes a good small welder for sheet metal on cars, I think it's the 120 or something. It plugs into a 110 outlet and is about $500 brand new. It's what I used in class, even laid out some good welds on 1/8" thick metal with it but had the thing maxed out.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

Agreed, there are some solid 120V welders out there. You do not need to wire your garage for 220V.

I have a buddy that builds hot rods, and restores cars for a living. He has 220V in his shop, but he still only uses a 120V welder. The Hobart 140 is the current version of the welder he uses. They claim it maxes out at 1/8" thick material, but if you pace yourself, make shorter welds, and give the welder a little time between welds, you can do 3/16" material.