Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Car
    71 Fastback

unfortunately i was digging into that one and it's a locating screw so without it the rotor spins freely on the distributor shaft. considering the ease in removing the whole Dizzy (similar to a 16v vw) i may just take the dizzy off and carefully soak the screw with some pb blaster while I replace engine gaskets and such.

Car
    71 Fastback

Not too much to report since we have been getting blasted with snow and now back to sub-zero temperatures. However I did finally get to pick up my rear IRS axle assembly from a local Type 3 guy.

It is a drum rear assembly but he had recently rebuilt part of the assembly for use on his own car before he found himself a disc rear assembly to swap in. Swing arms are currently set to two outer notches lower. I will be cleaning up the axle for fresh paint in the spring before i test fit it. however at the moment I don't have space due to have 3 cars , spare parts and a broken oven sitting in my garage.... gotta love dead of winter.

Car
    71 Fastback

After getting stuck in the Hyundai about 6 times this week I've decided to look into lifting the hyundai and creating some clearance for snow. I'm also looking into putting a small hitch, bull bar and roof rack on the thing to make hauling bikes and such now that we have a furry passenger that will be coming along with us on our road trips.

Car
    71 Fastback

First SCCA Novice training day is April 13/14th putting me about 2 weeks away. I ordered/picked a large pile of parts to try to get as much of the neglected maintenance done as quickly as possible so I can take some test drives before the event. The more and more I've been digging into the car the more i realized I picked a poor starting platform to be building off of. 100% of all bushings are shot, Brakes have been improperly maintained (more on this in a bit), engine gaskets have been Ma & Pa shop glued all over, Steering rack is POURING fluid out of the driver's side boot (which is also torn), windshield frame and quarter panels are rotten and have been given the Russian paint treatment (more on this in a bit) and lastly while replacing the tan door panels with some nice black ones i picked up from UPullRParts I found strong signs that the car had been a drug mule between it's Illinois ownership to Minnesota owner ship in the last year and a half which thankfully turned up nothing in the national stolen vehicle database. aojhfaoincaojnetglaskjdg!

so little by little here's what's going on and what i've opted to do now that i've dumped a few hundred into parts/autocross stuff.

Engine:
    Car has 143K on it and it's Honda so it's likely been revved the shit out of at some point and is fairly greasy from leaking seals. Engine runs well enough but has cold start surging issues which turned out to be super common on integras due to the IAVC being plugged up or needing a tune up. it goes away once the engine is warmed up but still something i'm addressing. I bought a complete engine gasket kit from rockauto to go through the entire engine at some point but started with just replacing the camshaft and valve cover gasket seal. I'll be replacing the pan gasket as well before the first autocross day when I change the oil.

Transmission:
    Automatic transmission, shifts well enough on my last drive in the snow but i'll be curious to drive it on the road during normal drive and on the track with aggressive driving. It'll be temporary until i either swap it to a manual or replace the entire car with a better condition integra with a manual. I will be doing a fluid flush before the first autocross event.

Suspension:
    ALL CRUSTY AND ORIGINAL. Holy shit did the previous owners never do anything for this car. all dry rotted/torn bushings on the car are factory original Honda parts. I bought a front end kit, pads and rotors, brake fluid and swapped on my newer tires and steelies I had on my rabbit. Still need to order a new passenger side axle (torn boot) and rear end bushings as they are all torn in the back... Additionally the brake pads in the back were well worn and uneven while the front brake pads were new but the caliper piston boot is destroyed... I spun the car out twice on the snow and ice the day I bought it, now i know why.

Interior:
    I bought a very nice set of black door cards and a black center console (manual) from UPullRParts to start replacing the Retiree tan interior. When swapping out the drive side door card which had a hole in the arm rest, I found...plastic bags (dirty) and an Ethiopian Culture flyer inside the door. I found additional dirty plastic bags under the center console which was not screwed down... I have my suspicions someone was either dealing or hauling drugs in the car just from experience with another car I looked at buying a few years back in St. Cloud which for lack of a better descriptor smelled like despair, ammonia and the dude selling it was all too eager to get lowballed. Car REAKS of Bro Vape and roaches, 3 rounds of orange scented armorall wipes has not helped yet, new door cards helped a little.

Exterior:
    oxidized paint, Russian Paint repair (BONDO and rattle can paint to cover rust), front end collision at some point.

Car lived in Illinois from 1995 to Fall 2018, Minnesota from Fall 2018 to current. It's got rust in the usual places (windshield frame, quarter panels, any hidden nook and cranny) and it had body damage from a front end collision with something low at a low speed. The damage caused the bumper cover to crack, crash bar to bend downwards without bending/collapsing the frame rails, buckled the fender barely, headlights are both missing tabs making them flap in the wind. This one wasn't too bad, I sourced new (late model) headlights and passenger fender from UPullRParts for $50 instead of the $300 per headlight from ebay or craigslist but discovered they were not compatible with the early model bumper. Found a used bumper a day later that bolted right up just fine. This just leaves me with excessive rust.

The rust is what has me reconsidering using this shell for autocross, it's the quarter panels on both sides and just up to the door jam on the driver side. Enough to consider it terminal. For some reason, absolutely no one sells 2 door quarter panels for these things despite every forum screaming about needing them. JDMOhioDirect.com can get me rust free cuts from Japan but it would take over a month for them to arrive and they would be around $600 shipped. The windshield rust is the other half of the terminal rust issue. like most 90's Japanese cars they rotted out around the windshields for which no one ever has made replacement panels for. I got some cheap left over A-Pillar cuts from JDMOhioDirect.com to try to address the rust but I don't have quite enough to make it worthwhile i think. Oddly enough the floor pans, sunroof opening and lower fenders were all rust free go figure.

Consensus:
    I'm going to keep fixing it with the parts i already have to see if i can narrowly pass inspection for racing this year. If not, i'm going to just drive it to C&C and other car events throughout the summer until i source a new Integra without as much rust OR just go with a different platform and sell it as a winter beater.

Car
    71 Fastback

Novice driving school track day was a LOT of fun even though I didn't get the chance to drive the Integra (Veloster filled in that day). Ended up getting to ride with Tim Davis both in my car and his car through the track and eventually was able to best my worst time of 59.8 down to 47.6 across about 12-20 runs! Unfortunately didn't get any video or pictures of the event outside of a shot of the veloster in the paddock and one of the track between heats. Ended up joining Minnesota autosports club (MAC) afterward to participate in future practice and point events.
    20190414_122005 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
    20190414_145633 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

The integra is still garage ridden due to the non-availability of carriers for this car... auto part stores keep quoting me 2 weeks for "Special Shipment" which sounds like the part still needs to be forged or dug out a Chinese warehouse. Haven't ordered one yet, still hoping to find a oem Nissin one in a junkyard/partout. ended up starting swapping out the Motor mounts which were completely toast (3 of 5 complete) and swapped on the junkyard hinges to stop the door from sagging anymore; someone had clearly been hanging onto the car door every time they climbed out of the car.
    20190408_100109 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
    20190417_114747 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
    20190416_174420(0) by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

I've finally made some progress on the fastback after a long winter of it being buried under house project and Rabbit parts. I hosed it down with some rust converting primer until it ate some of the rust and flaky paint and took a stainless grille brush to remove the loose paint and rust. This week I'll be trimming down the chassis to accept the donor tunnel piece. Once welded in, I will have to spilt the pan from the body to trim the framehead back to accept the new framehead and bolt the pan and body back together before welding it together. Goal is still getting the fastback on it's own wheels before the end of the year.
    20190417_114817 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

RIP TougeBunny
    20190417_114716 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

Car
    71 Fastback

should have some updates this weekend on everything. Last of the rabbit parts are getting picked up by scrappers today, I'm sitting on a nice pile of replacement parts for the integra including rear hatch, center console and shifter bezel, upgraded rear swaybar and the Fastback is almost ready for some welding I finally cut out the last pieces of tube chassis and trimed down the replacement panels to get bolted and tacked together. I'm also planning on doing some stuff with the Hyundai soon to make it more enjoyable while i ride out the horrible interest rate from Wells Fargo and rapid depreciation of the car.

Car
    71 Fastback

I think this'll be my last post unless things pickup here again someday.

TougeBunny is gone, the last chunks of the chassis were picked up by a scrapper a few weeks back leaving a couple of door shells i'm using for metal patch material and some random parts i keep finding tucked into corners.

OutlaVw is coming together quickly, I need to either install a 220v 50amp circuit at my house to borrow a better welder or I need to transport the fastback to my dad's shop to weld together all the front end panels i have. I have a slow trickle of parts coming in as i find deals on things. Most recently some front kick panels, tail light screws and steering column bracket arrived and a dune buggy pedal cluster mounting plate from EMPI that i'm using as rust repair patching pieces. Justin and Pete helped me out by sourcing me some Dune Buggy wheels 13x5.5 4x130 and a set of 5 OEM Type 3 steelies for rollers and "permanent" wheels.

Integra is sitting pretty for the rest of the summer i think. Schedule filled up quickly and i can't make even a quarter of the races this season. I'm still sitting on a seized caliper carrier on both rear brakes and decided i'm just going to buy the remanufactured calipers and carriers to save time and money. The car is now stripped out inside due to hunting down the horrible smell which turned out to be a broken bong and 5-6 vent air fresheners someone cracked open and poured on the bong water stain... smell is gone as is 80% of the plastic, cardboard and carpet that was in the car lol.

Veloster I just completed a 90K refresh of things but haven't been driving it much as i work from home primarily now so it just sits there and consumes car payments and insurance money lol.

Home project are too many to list but we're hammering out a bunch of backlogged projects like our shed floor pavers, filling in the hole in our gravel driveway with new road base, tore up the planter beds and adding mulch, sanding 40 years of paint off our oak cabinets so we can refinish them and finally finishing some electrical gutting from the baseboard heaters, illegally added circuits and unretrofitting everything so we can do it correctly once and re-finish our basement.

I snap pictures of some of this stuff on my instagram @absoluteyeti but that's about it. Millennials killed the Forums/magazines/books/allthethings

Car
    71 Fastback

So a little bit of an update, I won the 68 VW Beetle they were raffling away at the Luther Westside Volkswagen Bug-in this year which is an Awesome car! It ended up stealing the garage space from the integra which then went up for sale for about a week. I still have it, i just couldn't take anymore bro-tard messages asking if it was a rust free/vtec swapped/would i take $200 and a chicken for questions. I'm toying around with turning the integra into a pseudo dune buggy for cruising around the neighborhood to neighbor's campfires on Fridays/Saturdays. we'll see.
    Last edited by euro; 06-19-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Car
    hood scoop

Congrats on the raffle. Forums are dead or dying everywhere. It was good while it lasted.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    bitch, you trippin'