Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Car
    Wood Motorboat |'15 Tahoe

Default Plug-In Hybrids // Ford Fusion Energi

We are looking to replace our Mercedes C300 4Matic Sport pretty soon. We have not settled on a final solution, as we could go a couple ways - but one of our leading thoughts is the Fusion Energi (Plug-In Hybrid). Gas will be going back up, no doubt; I don't want three cars with sub 22mpg in my stable.

Inventory is not flush, so we have only actually had a chance to drive one, a 2014. However, it looks like only minor cosmetic changes have occurred since then. Our impressions were very good at the time.

I have also been watching reviews on youtube, for both this trim and all Fusions - which are overwhelmingly positive.

The only major concession is we would be losing All-Wheel-Drive, however we still have our Grand Cherokee for those 12" snow emergencies. The lower performance I will justify with the improved mileage. The only disappointment I had when driving was the CVT Transmission was a bit odd to get used to, but this would be an appliance vehicle, so I am sure it would wear on me. 90% of our daily commute is 25 miles round trip. We would probably average 12-14K miles a year. The thought of MANY of these miles being 'all electric' makes a plug-in mighty appealing.

I would think about waiting a little longer for the BMW 330e, but it is a $15K premium, without much to show for that. If they were going to bring a Touring version of that Stateside, I would not write it off completely, but that does not look likely.

Now that hybrids have been around for some time, and there seems to be enough of them out there... I am less shy about adopting this technology. Does anyone have an opinion about the Energi specifically, or about the current Fusion platform, or Ford's recent quality in general? How about buying and ownership impressions of the current generation of Hybrids/Plug-Ins?

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

Even though I got bored with it and traded back into a VW, I really did like my Ford Focus. The complete Ford product line has really taken a leap forward in quality, especially the Fusion and Escape, vehicles Ford relies on as their bread and butter.

I have driven a Fusion and was seriously impressed.

As for the hybrid and plug in part of your info seeking, I can't help you there. I just thought I would check in and say they personally with the Ford quality the way it is now, I wouldn't pay a $15k premium for an equivalent BMW.

Car
    911, H3T, RS4, MG Midget

I have a coworker with one. He loves it. also on the EV side of things, does anyone know anything about the electric A3?

Car

Chad, I agree that many of the world-wide platform based products are actually quite good. In general, domestic products are pretty close to the way that foreign luxury felt 10 years ago.

In the Flex and F150, I wish they would get over the 'need' to design interiors for people wearing work gloves.

I am also starting to look into the Audi A3 e-tron, there is a fully loaded one a Westside I would like to drive. There does seem to be some concessions on e-range and mpg in exchange for a more sporty and luxury feel... it might be a compromise worth making.

Car

I did drive that e-tron at lunch. That was a fun car! Reminded me a lot of my GTI before I molested the shit out of it. I would say it is a lot more fun than the Fusion.

Discussion with Tracy will continue - we are really trying to stay within a certain budget, so while the e-tron is only a little pricier than the Fusion, there are also two fewer model years out there if we wanted to find a pre-owned.

This just got a little tougher...

Car
    Touareg. XC70. F430.

etrons range is stupid low for the $

This is a damn good price (with range extender) https://www.vroom.com/inventory/bmw-...1Z4C53EV274651

Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, 74 Scout II

If i had more of a city commute I would be in a CMax Energi, had one as a rental on the east coast and it was a very good (appliance) car.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    JSW TDI 6MT & 2 Suburbans

I looked at them before buying my 2015 TDI Wagon but I couldn't deal with the cramped trunk space.
    Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Car

Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    etrons range is stupid low for the $

This is a damn good price (with range extender) https://www.vroom.com/inventory/bmw-...1Z4C53EV274651
    The e-range is not great in the e-tron, 16 miles, but it is over half of my daily commute. Plus, I am sure I could negotiate charging at work.

RE the i3... No way. That is the most hideous thing I have ever seen. Plus I do need a vehicle that I could drive 500 miles at a time, without stopping every 80.

I do agree, the Fusion 'trunk' and pass-through are about as bad as a convertible.

Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

Could you wait it out until there are more Pacificas out there? The plug-in hybrid variants are just hitting the market, and I imagine will have typical Chrysler depreciation. Should work well for family duty.

And this is what EW has become.

Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, 74 Scout II

Just a bunch of old men talking about hauling kids and MPG. RetirementWerks.org
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    S55, 330i, R53, JKU

Quote Originally Posted by sprstu View Post
    Just a bunch of old men talking about hauling kids and MPG. RetirementWerks.org
    Fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    listen to you old hags fussing over burrito prices. why don't you swing your purses at each other.

Car
    S55, 330i, R53, JKU

I'm going to do a burnout and some speeding tomorrow, just to keep things relevant
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    listen to you old hags fussing over burrito prices. why don't you swing your purses at each other.

Car

We are not really looking for 'family duty' per se - It needs to fit kids for the pick-up and drop-off at school, but we have our Jeep for most full family activities. A good sized four-door is really all we need.

I think we will probably lease this time - never done that before. But things are going to change a lot over the next three years and this will probably not be a long-term solution.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

Agreed.

A friend of mine that sells Toyotas and Scions tries to get people to lease the Prius because they have so much more tech than your average car being that they are hybrid and all. Battery, charging, and electric motor tech will improve by leaps and bounds every year, just like gasoline engines did in the 1920's and 1930's.