Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    9,365
    Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

    Default New TDIs for sale

    Friday VW authorized the sale of the leftover new TDIs in stock.

    They are offering $5K off MSRP for purchase or $8500 off for a 2 year lease, as well as 0% for 72.

    I've found the best option is to call the dealers. Mankato Motors had a Golf I was interested in, but it sold Sat. The salesman there said they had 20-25 Fri, they have 5 left.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western WI
    Posts
    9,143
    Car
    JSW TDI 6MT & 2 Suburbans

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TTaM View Post
    Friday VW authorized the sale of the leftover new TDIs in stock.

    They are offering $5K off MSRP for purchase or $8500 off for a 2 year lease, as well as 0% for 72.

    I've found the best option is to call the dealers. Mankato Motors had a Golf I was interested in, but it sold Sat. The salesman there said they had 20-25 Fri, they have 5 left.
    Are these cars being sold as new or used (due to the fix being applied)?
    Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    9,365
    Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

    Default

    New, with full warranty starting at date of purchase. They have phase 1 of the fix done, and will need phase 2 next year.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    9,365
    Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

    Default

    Alright, I've called almost all of the dealers in the metro, as well as the dealer in Mankato. There are still TDIs left Passats, Jettas, a few Golfs, and a few Golf wagons. All seem to be DSG. Most seem to be S or SE trims. It did not sound like any had lighting or driver's assist packages. I think there may be a few SELs lurking out there.

    Since I was really only interested in manual cars, I put my name on a few lists in case a deposit backs out.

    Good luck hunting!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western WI
    Posts
    9,143
    Car
    JSW TDI 6MT & 2 Suburbans

    Default

    Yeah, I'd want another manual too.
    Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    9,365
    Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

    Default

    It sounds like all the manuals were sold, or had a deposit on them by Sat morning.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, MN
    Posts
    329
    Car
    mk4 TDI, TDI Ranger

    Default

    I was at Westside on Friday (not inquiring about a new TDI but instead picking up a dead mk4 ) and one of the service writers told me that there were 3-4 Westside employees who had deposits down on the manual TDIs available. I'm guessing they'll be flipping the cars if/when things start getting crazy?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    1,576
    Car
    15 Sportwagen / TDI caddy

    Default

    I bought a golf sportwagen last night. Is there something I'm missing about the DSG's having issues or is it just a preference thing?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Savage
    Posts
    7,224
    Car
    BMW X1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 05gli View Post
    Is there something I'm missing about the DSG's having issues or is it just a preference thing?
    Depends who you ask. Some have terrible luck with DSG, from hard shifts, reverse going out, mechatronics shitting the bed, weird behavior in the winter. Nothing about the transmission is cheap to repair or replace. If/when something goes wrong hope it's covered under warranty or throw cash at it.
    “We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    9,365
    Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 05gli View Post
    I bought a golf sportwagen last night. Is there something I'm missing about the DSG's having issues or is it just a preference thing?
    Congrats! Welcome to the GSW club.

    The DSG limits your ability to tow, and requires expensive maintenance every 40K miles, which for some TDI people can be annually. For most people, it should be fine
    Last edited by TTaM; 04-19-2017 at 09:16 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    9,365
    Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

    Default

    whoops.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    1,576
    Car
    15 Sportwagen / TDI caddy

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TTaM View Post
    Congrats! Welcome to the GSW club.

    The DSG limits your ability to tow, and requires expensive maintenance every 40K miles, which for some TDI people can be annually. For most people, it should be fine
    Thanks! For what we want this car for it should fit the bill well. I had read the same thing about the DSG service but is what it is. I don't plan or intend to tow anything with this car. It'll have a hitch on it for a bike rack and that is it. I have an actual truck for towing and hauling heavy things around.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, MN
    Posts
    329
    Car
    mk4 TDI, TDI Ranger

    Default

    For the most part the only difference between the two (manual vs DSG) is 40k oil change interval (can be cheap if you have vcds and can do it yourself) and historically the DMF needs to be replaced every ~150k but that can vary quite a bit depending on highway vs city miles. I should note that the manual also has a DMF which has the same fate so not really that big of a difference between the two. Ultimately it comes down to preference. I think people still associate Volkswagen "automatics" with the dreaded 01m used in the mk4s.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    1,576
    Car
    15 Sportwagen / TDI caddy

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
    For the most part the only difference between the two (manual vs DSG) is 40k oil change interval (can be cheap if you have vcds and can do it yourself) and historically the DMF needs to be replaced every ~150k but that can vary quite a bit depending on highway vs city miles. I should note that the manual also has a DMF which has the same fate so not really that big of a difference between the two. Ultimately it comes down to preference. I think people still associate Volkswagen "automatics" with the dreaded 01m used in the mk4s.
    I do have VCDS. I was looking into what exactly is involved in that oil change process. Doesn't look to bad, outside of needing one special tool which I'm perfectly fine with buying. Looks like idparts has a "starter kit" for 120$ that has everything needed for first service.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, MN
    Posts
    329
    Car
    mk4 TDI, TDI Ranger

    Default

    I made my own version of their fill tool for $40 in parts.

Similar Threads

  1. FS: M3 for sale bro
    By TTaM in forum Cars Classifieds
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-27-2011, 12:31 PM
  2. Apr sale :)
    By bailey611 in forum Technical
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 08:44 PM
  3. Anyone have a 034 HFC for sale?
    By italianA4 in forum VW-Audi Parts Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2010, 11:05 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-26-2009, 11:07 PM
  5. This M3 is for sale
    By CaRJoE0220 in forum Euro Automotive Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-20-2008, 06:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •