Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

Default Car Audio Recommendations?

The stereo in my Evo sucks, there is no way around it. The only option the car had when we bought it was wheel locks. Other than that, a total base model.

I've considered upgrading it myself. Once I dug into it, I found that replacing the speakers in the doors is impossible without drilling into the doors (Mitsubishi doesn't screw the speakers in, they have a bracket built into the speaker that snaps into place), and I've struggled to find a sub that will actually fit in the trunk, and still give me access to everything. (washer fluid access, battery access, ACD fluid access, and spare tire).

I'd like better sound, more clarity, more volume, and a little more bass. I'd also like to have it done by someone that knows what they are doing. I've screwed up car audio too many times in the past doing it myself.

Any shop recommendations? Is Dan still in the car audio game?

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

I still use Crutchfield. If you shop through them they include or sell everything you will need to install your equipment. So for example, if your factory speakers have to be drilled out, Crutchfield would include mounting brackets to go with the speakers you purchase so you can mount them.

As for your truck situation, I had to deal with something similar. I wanted open trunk access as needed. To fix this you can buy pre-built, powered, enclosures. Just run some power and signal wires to your trunk and plug it in. If you go this route, you can just unplug your sub and toss it in the garage if you need the space. Or pull it out in seconds if you need to service your car.

EDIT: I totally missed the part about you wanting to pay a shop to do this. Maybe try Sean at Top Stitch. You could buy the gear and he might be able to install it?

Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

I actually ordered speakers and a small powered sub through Crutchfield. That's how I found out I would need to drill into the doors for the speakers (and Crutchfield advised I would need to provide my own hardware, they only supply a bracket that didn't even fit correctly) and the powered sub would not fit in the truck. The only way the sub would fit was if I mounted the sub and a 45 degree angle, which wouldn't be good for sound quality.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

Weird. Crutchfield has never let me down. They have always provided or sold the parts needed for the job. All of my installs with parts from Crutchfield have been painless. I have been buying from them for 25 years now.

Holy shit, 25 years.

Car
    BMW X1

With integrated speakers, it's almost easier to cut out a MDF ring that you can mount to the door, then secure the speaker to the ring.
    Same goes for the sub, unless it can float around in the back, it's going to be custom.
    “We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

Car
    2006 VW Jetta TDi

I use Crutchfield as a library... Find out what fits and such, and then get prices around the internet, maybe buy pieces from Crutchfield, Amazon, random online stores, etc. I've always done the labor myself, and have heard horror stories about Best Buy car audio installs fwiw.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by Kriesel View Post
    I use Crutchfield as a library... Find out what fits and such, and then get prices around the internet, maybe buy pieces from Crutchfield, Amazon, random online stores, etc. I've always done the labor myself, and have heard horror stories about Best Buy car audio installs fwiw.
    Best Buy used to be a decent place for car audio installation. Especially back in 1998 and 1999 when I was doing it.

Car
    BMW X1

Quote Originally Posted by toasted View Post
    Best Buy used to be a decent place for car audio installation. Especially back in 1998 and 1999 when I was doing it.
    Were you sponsored by Unibit?
    “We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

Car
    MK4

I have used Crutchfield as the knowledge center, much like ECS Tuning and then source the parts cheaper elsewhere. I used Sonic Electronix many times in the past when I was into car audio.

FWIW, I'd swing down the local Best Buy with audio installation and see what they can do. The car audio scene isn't what it used to be and they might be willing to offer you what you need at a decent price plus warranty too.

Car
    Wood Motorboat |'15 Tahoe

You might just want to start with a head unit - sometimes getting away from the stock unit is enough to bring in some decent sound.

Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by Die Frau View Post
    You might just want to start with a head unit - sometimes getting away from the stock unit is enough to bring in some decent sound.
    I was hoping to retain the stock headunit. Have things like the integrated Bluetooth/steering wheel controls. are nice.

Car
    S55, 330i, R53, JKU

I think you can get adapters for that now.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    listen to you old hags fussing over burrito prices. why don't you swing your purses at each other.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

Aftermarket stereos have bluetooth and all that stuff now. And in some cases the aftermarket stereos have better connectivity.

Car
    2006 VW Jetta TDi

Quote Originally Posted by TTaM View Post
    I was hoping to retain the stock headunit. Have things like the integrated Bluetooth/steering wheel controls. are nice.
    Yeah, look into cruchfield's adapters, I think there are bluetooth ones out there now.