Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, 74 Scout II

Default Yamaha XS360, Ambitious but Rubish.

Over the last few years I have really scaled back my automotive project collection. Used to be I would throw a bunch of time and money at something small and silly just for the sake of it. I loved the hunt for a project and the knowledge I gained from exploring new cars and ideas as well as the searching online and IRL for parts and information. There is never a dull moment in your life as long as you have access to Craigslist and the Vortex, now throw the untapped resource and laziness of Facebook Classifieds....

It was all great until I started to slow down my use of all those fun projects. I'm just maintaining a fleet of projects that are all idle every single day. Like buying cross country ski's because you really want to have the time for the winter-outdoors and those ski's do nothing more than sit in the basement waiting for their day. And the season ends, again and again without one day on the snow.

I want to build something that I can use. I want to have a toy that doesn't need my full attention but is something I can reliably take apart and "fix" without causing too much downtime. I wanted a project that is almost not a project. Restoration or modification piece by piece that doesn't require a month of part inventory and down time.

To satiate my need for greasy fingernails while still maintaining a positive relationship with my Fiancé I choose to incorporate some vintage motorcycles into my life. Sure, another car would be super cool and amazing but we have 4 already and my neighbors are already suspicious. What I wanted was a mid-70's Japanese bike that was rough but running. Something that was usable but dirty. Something that needs the basics and not an off frame restoration. But I also needed it to be a bargain.

About a hundred years ago I found a 81 Honda 200 that had been sitting forever. Super low miles and all very clean. My Fiance and I worked on it together off and on through the spring until we got it road ready for her to use around town. It needed tires and brakes, some minor cleaning of the intake and carb and off it went. Perfect amount of project to teach someone and enjoy some garage time. I wanted to replicate that now for myself only with a couple more steps.

Fast forward to a super lean and limited Facebook classified ad for a 77 Yamaha 360. Just 1 picture and a very short description. I message the seller and he responds almost immediately. The bike had been in storage (in a barn) for the last 20 years but it was cleaned up a bit and it was running. All original parts and complete minus the torn seat upholstry.

Bingo. Running but rough. Something I can work on and use at the same time. Bonus points for it being something I can share with my lady and she can have a riding partner.

So up to Milacs I went, grabbing a small trailer for my wagon to tow and my best friend for help and to be the "big guy" in the room in case this ad was actually set to kidnap unsuspecting vintage motorcycle buyers from the big city.

Plans are to keep it simple. Only take care of the stuff that make it safer and more reliable. The seat will be done at some point this summer but first orders are Tires and Brakes, Fork seals and dust boots. All things I can do in an afternoon with zero downtime and no big looming question marks. Larger plans are new handlebars and grips, to update the hand controls a bit and to lower it down about 2 inches. Beyond that its just going to be a runner. Not a globe trotting cruiser but that isnt on my radar anyway, that's why I have a dieselgate TDI.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    71 Fastback

That thing is awesome! Take lots of pictures

Car
    MK4

Nice find! As your were saying, this should be perfect.

This thread is going to want me to get my dads motorcycle in my garage.

Car
    '03 S10 ZR2,'14 Jetta 5M

Nice find Stu. Looking forward to seeing this cleaned up :-)

Car
    Porsche 914, Jeep XJ

Rockin. Looks like fun.

Car
    B5A4tqma

Neat bike!

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

What a great buy.

I felt the same way when I bought my Bel Air. I wanted a classic car that I could enjoy. I wanted a car that wasn't broke down or needing a bunch of work. So I found that car in very good original shape. Did a few minor things to it and it is good to roll.

Car

Thanks guys! Ive been out on it a couple of times to sort the small bits and see where it needs attention. Brakes are actually really good so no hurry to fix that. Tires are the originals so those are being replaced asap, going with some Shinko 244 "all terrain" tires because Im a boss who lives for the off-road. That and they are $35 each, hard to beat.

The fuel tank has purged its contents into my garage twice (once after I thought I drained it all!) so I will be taking the petcock apart to replace all the gaskets. Yamaha uses a Vacuum actuated petcock with shuts off fuel automatically when the engine is off, but this means when the gaskets get old they will weep fuel non-stop. a replacement unit is up to $100 and a rebuild is $30, I could go with a totally new manual style, read:standard, petcock but I like the idea of keeping it how Yamaha intended.

Oil seals were ordered and will be installed this weekend!
    Go Green with Diesel.

Nice find, that looks in great shape even after sitting all these years.

Car
    BMW X1

FYI, you might want to replace those rear brake pads.
    Older Yamaha drum brake pads have a history of de-laminating from the backing plate and no one wants a locked up rear wheel.

Thats a 6v system right?
    “We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

Car

I just had the wheels off to do tires, brakes looked like new, perhaps they had been replaced in the past because of a known issue? Shoes are super cheap so it would be a good idea to replace just in case.

And we begin this tiny project by taking the bike down to almost bare frame. Ha.

[IMG]
    [/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by sprstu; 03-16-2017 at 05:46 PM.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car

12v electrics, thankfully. My 81 Honda is 6v and we will be updating that to 12v someday.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car

Seeing a pair of aggressive tread pattern tires waiting for me on the doorstep really brought a new level of lightness to my heart. Im not sure why I love new tires so much but man do they make me happy. After their arrival I knew I was getting some work in and the bike back together. All my parts were in and my fiance was out of town. Perfect.

Fork seals were really weird to pull out but once I got the trick they popped right out like nothing. It was just a matter of leverage on the inner edge and not trying to grab the way outer edge and hitting the wall of the fork itself. I do need one new dust boot but it will be easy to replace once I source the part.

After getting the petcock all sealed and reinstalled I went to grab my battery to give it a test run. After 5 min of searching for my charger and getting an extension cord I noticed some fuel had dripped onto the outer casing. I wiped it clean and got to installing and charging the batter. Walked back to my bench and saw another wet spot on the casing. Fuck. I scrambled to get a screwdriver and tightened up the accessible screws. Still weeping. I looked around and found it was weeping from the tank to petcock mounting point. That was the ONLY rubber seal that didnt come with the kit. it wasnt leaking before but after breaking the factory seal it gave up the ghost. Turns out not all kits come with it and the one I didnt buy (because it was $5 more expensive and didnt have free shipping) had it. Now I get to buy a $10 single piece and wait another week for it.

Glad its still early in the season and it isnt sunny and 60 this week. Looking at getting the seat re-covered or finding a replacement sleeve on ebay or something.

Last edited by sprstu; 03-29-2017 at 10:01 PM.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car

Ordered the new and last gasket for the petcock, I hate paying for something twice and even more when I know its worth $.02 and it sells for $10. Oh well, captive audience and all that. Now I can wait patiently for the cold weather to roll through and before I get antsy and try to reinstall everything and ride with a dripping tank.

Speaking of paying twice, I went to the garage last night to look at my toys and noticed the rear tire was flat. I pulled out ye'olde compressor and shot a bit of frozen air into the tube only to hear that faint whisper or air leaking. I must have pinched the tube when I was struggling, in my living room, to install my fancy new tires. At least Ill get some practice in tube replacement!

Turns out the tubes are pretty cheap and easy to source locally, I will swing by the evil one known as Tousley Motorsports on my way home and grab a new one to the tune of 3 Starbucks Coffees.

While I had the down time I also drained the oil, the smell of gas was overwhelming. Turns out when your full tank drips slowly but continuously and your vacuum actuated system is shot there is no stopping the fuel from seeping into the lower half of the engine. I can't imagine in the 14miles Ive driven I could have done any damage to the bottom end with the coarse fuel eating away at the bottom end and trans. Because the bike sat for so many years there is a chance this is the first time fuel has found its way into the lower end. Could have been happening forever, we will see.

For now its new oil and filter, get the tube replaced and wait for some sunshine.
    Last edited by sprstu; 03-22-2017 at 07:33 AM.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    855T

Quote Originally Posted by sprstu View Post
    Turns out the tubes are pretty cheap and easy to source locally, I will swing by the evil one known as Tousley Motorsports on my way home and grab a new one to the tune of 3 Starbucks Coffees.
    Tubes,Tires any other such aftermarket nonsense. Just go to Bob's. Far less douche baggery then Tousley or any of the dealers.
    Some day I'm going to build an airplane/Then I'm going to die in a plane crash
    The motorcycle is a work of art, a testament to the corner gods, and as with all religious endevours, requires a bit of ceremony and respect.