Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
    Car
    '18 Camry, '30 Chevy

The place I found is PMC Motorsports. They are in the Czech Republic.

The place that made the bellhousing I bought is in the UK.

I best companies like this are all over Europe.

Car
    337, Scirocco, GT, Ranger

Why can't you use a World Class? I thought the only difference between the 4cyl and v8 Ford T5s was the pilot bearing size and the spline count. So you may need to get the center of the clutch disc swapped again, but it sounds easier than buying everything different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    Now is where I politely tell you to go fuck yourself.

Car
    '18 Camry, '30 Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTION337 View Post
    Why can't you use a World Class? I thought the only difference between the 4cyl and v8 Ford T5s was the pilot bearing size and the spline count. So you may need to get the center of the clutch disc swapped again, but it sounds easier than buying everything different.
    All the dimensions of the input shaft on the WC transmission are different. The spline count might be the same, but the length is different and the shaft size at the pilot bearing is different as well.

So with the longer input shaft, the bellhousing I bought is not the right depth anymore. And since the pilot bearing is not an off the shelf item, even if the WC input shaft was the same length, I would have to find someone that can make the right size bearing.

So changing to a T5 that is more stout will probably end up costing near as much as this ZF route.

Car
    '18 Camry, '30 Chevy

I had a friend come over and work with me on welding, with my welder.

I have been playing with heat and speed. I have been adjusting the gas. But no matter what I do, I can't get a smooth weld. It spatters and pops more than it should.

My friend showed me how the settings change things, in real time. Adjusting wire speed as we welded. tried different gas settings to make sure there was a proper shield. But no matter what we did, there was still too much spatter and there were holes in the weld.

Then he asked me how old the wire was, because the wire can rust and cause the problems we are dealing with. The wire is 3 years old, and has been sitting in a garage with some water leaks, so it's not the driest place. He said that was my problem. I need new wire.

When I got the welder 3 years ago, I just got a big spool, I didn't even consider the fact that it would rust. So from here I'll buy smaller spools and see if this fixes my problems.

Car
    71 Fastback

That probably shouldn't have blown my mind as much as it did. Might swap reels on mine now since the wire spool came with the welder i recently bought. Thanks for the insight!

Car
    '18 Camry, '30 Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by euro View Post
    That probably shouldn't have blown my mind as much as it did. Might swap reels on mine now since the wire spool came with the welder i recently bought. Thanks for the insight!
    I had no idea this was a thing. Crazy. Never thought of it.

More news and progress:

I bought a new spool. When I was changing the spool, I realized that the welder polarity was backwards!!!!

The welder came with a very small spool of flux core wire, that I never used. I just put on a bigger spool of solid core wire right out of the gate. I didn't realize that when I did that I was supposed to change the welder polarity. So this whole time I was struggling with clean welds, assuming I was part of the problem. Come to find out that my welder was set up wrong to begin with and it was impossible to weld right.

With the new wire, the polarity correct, my welds are coming out much, much, better.

I spent Friday night and a few hours Saturday finishing up the frame notch. I'm so excited to be making progress again.

Pics
    Fish plate clamped down
    20200424_200208_HDR by Chad Truss, on Flickr

Tacked
    20200424_200523_HDR by Chad Truss, on Flickr

Welded
    20200424_201114 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

Almost done
    20200424_201732_HDR by Chad Truss, on Flickr

Boxed in
    20200424_204541_HDR by Chad Truss, on Flickr

After that welding work I went back to the bench to assemble some suspension parts. I am missing two heim joints, to I placed an order for them. And I welded in the front suspension crossmember incorrectly, so I need to cut it out and relocate it or replace it. I ordered another one just in case I need to replace it. They are $60 and Speedway has a good return policy if I don't need it.

Then I checked the fit of the hairpin brackets that need to get welded to the rear axle. They don't fit. The radius is more than an 1/8" too small. Instead of grinding them large enough to fit over the axle tubes, and likely ruining how round they are. I am drawing up new brackets for my buddy to cut out on his laser.

Yaaaaaa, I'm making progress again!!!!!!

Car
    2006 VW Jetta TDi

I've never had issues with the wire going bad on the welder. But I've also always used flux core wire instead of solid core. Glad your welder is now doing well though

Car
    (Sold)Volvo 242Ti

Quote Originally Posted by isonic View Post
    Excited to see this get built, but man you are not starting with much!
    yup. I think that sunk in when he uploaded the photo.

looking forward to seeing the car getting built.
    Last edited by NP242; 05-05-2020 at 09:50 AM.

Car
    (Sold)Volvo 242Ti

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTION337 View Post
    the T5 had two versions iirc. I don't think there is any real difference in strength.

if you roll with the Tremec, you probably have more flexibility down the road when you need a replacement or parts. (assuming 450hp+)
    Last edited by NP242; 05-05-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Car
    '18 Camry, '30 Chevy

SQUIRREL!!!

20200505_123128 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

20200505_123300_HDR by Chad Truss, on Flickr

1994 Pontiac Firebird Formula. Bought it just to have something fun to play with while I build the hot rod. It's in pretty damn good, original shape. Just has a shitty aftermarket stereo in it, and a clunk in the rear suspension I'll get fixed. Then I'll just enjoy it.

Car
    Soon to not be euro

I can't say these cars aged well but I must say it has been quite a while since I have seen a clean example.

Car
    '18 Camry, '30 Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by TurboCrayon View Post
    I can't say these cars aged well but I must say it has been quite a while since I have seen a clean example.
    I have a soft spot for cars in the late 80s to early 90s like this one. Especially Pontiac.

This car was new, right around the time I graduated from high school. And my family always had Pontiacs, or other GM vehicles. My grandpa worked in the assembly line for Chevy for a bit and then as a technician at the proving grounds in Milford, for Pontiac.

Sure, the styling hasn't aged well. The plastic interior creaks and groans like you wouldn't believe. But something about these cars speak to me.

Car
    C7 A6, 90 CQ, 17 Ex Sport

Quote Originally Posted by toasted View Post
    But something about these cars speak to me.
    I have been wanting a gen 2 (mid-late 70's) trans am for a long time. Someday I'll buy one. Something about them, with the 400' long hoods, really does something for me.

Wedge that between the late 60's impala wagon, an early 70's C-10 shortbox, and a bunch of other crap I want...someday I'll have maybe a spare tire from one of them, haha.

Car
    337, Scirocco, GT, Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by TurboCrayon View Post
    They've aged much, much better than the Camaros.
    Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    Now is where I politely tell you to go fuck yourself.

Car
    '18 Camry, '30 Chevy

Side project:

Picked up a cast iron table top from Ben at SCI. Need to make a welding table out of it. So I started welding some legs together.
    20200526_184729 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

Then I welded some casters onto the legs.
    20200528_202604 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

And now I need to get that heavy ass table top hoisted up onto the legs.

As for the hot rod, the next thing I need to do is setup the rear axle. But I really need one of those lava hot shooty laser things, because using a cutting wheel and grinder to remove these brackets is a bitch.
    20200528_214624 by Chad Truss, on Flickr