Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Car
    855T

We get older, we evolve.
    I built a van......
    Some day I'm going to build an airplane/Then I'm going to die in a plane crash
    The motorcycle is a work of art, a testament to the corner gods, and as with all religious endevours, requires a bit of ceremony and respect.

Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, 74 Scout II

Not sure I fall into boat category but I get that, it's much more fun for a family or group.

Maybe the thing I want to build is a VW Van. Really slow down that road speed and pick up some novelty
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    Wood Motorboat |'15 Tahoe

For sure... boats are not for everyone.

But is your family unit changes from 'Single Male' to Married with Children - you begin to look for activities that everyone can participate in and enjoy... I know Jon does Moto Racing with his family.

Camping, Fishing, 4 Wheeling, Snowmobiles... all are good choices and offer a kid/family friendly end of the spectrum. Carting is one option - but you have to let the kid come to it on their own - forcing family activities is a sure way to increase stress - "We're here to have fun, damnit!" Cars, and more specifically driving, racing or car shows really does not.

Car
    My Saab

Quote Originally Posted by Die Frau View Post
    For sure... boats are not for everyone.

But is your family unit changes from 'Single Male' to Married with Children - you begin to look for activities that everyone can participate in and enjoy... I know Jon does Moto Racing with his family.

Camping, Fishing, 4 Wheeling, Snowmobiles... all are good choices and offer a kid/family friendly end of the spectrum. Carting is one option - but you have to let the kid come to it on their own - forcing family activities is a sure way to increase stress - "We're here to have fun, damnit!" Cars, and more specifically driving, racing or car shows really does not.
    Yep, right now the racing thing works for us because the kids love coming to the track. Racing generally promotes a family friendly atmosphere so there are lots of kids around to play with. They get to ride bikes, run around outside all day, and go on scooter rides. To them it's heaven. It also adds another dimension in that because we use a camper for it, we can go on camping orientated trips to a lake (and rent a boat) or wherever.

In 5 years? They may hate it, who knows. If the kids end up not liking it, we'll probably move away from it because as Pete noted I don't want to be that parent forcing their kids to do my hobbies. Getting a boat will probably rank fairly high on that list as we live right next to Lake Elmo.

Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, 74 Scout II

I would love for my future child/children to enjoy working on cars but honestly I didn't have any family member show me the ropes. I took it upon myself because I feel in love with cars and engines. I will test and retest my kids love for cars and if they don't care thats up to them, I just want them to learn to build something, anything, and get their hands to work with their brains.
    Go Green with Diesel.