Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Car
    B5A4tqma

Default Wifemobile 2 : Return of Wifemobile

Budget is $15-20k. Must be AWD.

1)

After ruling out many cars, the new car will be one of these listed below.
    I'm looking for your feedback/warnings/knowledge/suggestions (for and against) on the following autos.

Toyota Rav4 / 2013+
    Lexus RX330, RX350
    Toyota Highlander
    Subaru Outback
    Subaru Forester
    Mazda CX-5
    Ford Edge
    Lincoln MKX

2)
    I've never bought a car this new, or expensive. Is private party better or worse than going to the dealer with this budget? Why?

3)
    Financing. Would like some of that 2% good stuff but will i need to be a CU member for that? Will pay $5-10k cash and finance the rest

4)
    What is a good resource for comparison purposes? Consumer Reports? I am not sure where to begin.
    Last edited by JPB; 08-10-2016 at 12:29 PM. Reason: ruling out Hyundais

Car
    BMW X1

BMW X1....just sayin. But srs find a Lincoln MKX, (Ford Edge) 20 mpg and lots of room.
    “We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

Car
    Wood Motorboat |'15 Tahoe

That Highlander is likely to have the highest resale value.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

I like recent Ford products. Is the Escape big enough for you? Edge is good, or look at the Lincoln MKX like Matt said.

The Forester is awesome as well, but resale is so high on those that you have to spend more to get into one.

And to answer your other question. I prefer buying from dealerships, but thats just me. Yeah, I'll pay more, but it's one stop and everything is taken care of. I don't have time for the BS, so I will pay for the convenience.

Car
    S55, 330i, R53, JKU

All this foreplay!
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    listen to you old hags fussing over burrito prices. why don't you swing your purses at each other.

Car
    BMW X1

Quote Originally Posted by toasted View Post
    I like recent Ford products. Is the Escape big enough for you? Edge is good
    I beg to differ, they are colossal pieces of crap.
    Google ford escape rust problems.
    “We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

Car
    B5A4tqma

Quote Originally Posted by toasted View Post
    The Forester is awesome as well, but resale is so high on those that you have to spend more to get into one.
    Yeah, i get the Subaru/Toyota depreciation curve. The question for me is really, for the next 5 years, will a $18k (forester/highlander) be a better car to own than a $18k (mkx/edge/cx5) , etc.

And to answer your other question. I prefer buying from dealerships, but thats just me. Yeah, I'll pay more, but it's one stop and everything is taken care of. I don't have time for the BS, so I will pay for the convenience.
    Again, I am a noob when it comes to anything that costs more than $5k.
    Are $18k used cars just a commodity? I figured buying from PP would save a couple thousand and i get maintenance history from the horse's mouth.
    My impression of dealerships is that you are pulling the lever on a slot machine since they likely have no service history, no non-dealership records, and no compunction to provide paper trail history.
    Please correct this if i am misguided.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    All this foreplay!
    I am about the most deliberative person you will meet today. I do my homework. This purchase is going down in Sept/Oct so i am trying to narrow the field, and then snipe the right car.

Car
    MKVII GSW TDI

Yeah, i get the Subaru/Toyota depreciation curve. The question for me is really, for the next 5 years, will a $18k (forester/highlander) be a better car to own than a $18k (mkx/edge/cx5) , etc.

Are $18k used cars just a commodity? I figured buying from PP would save a couple thousand and i get maintenance history from the horse's mouth.
    My impression of dealerships is that you are pulling the lever on a slot machine since they likely have no service history, no non-dealership records, and no compunction to provide paper trail history.

I am about the most deliberative person you will meet today. I do my homework. This purchase is going down in Sept/Oct so i am trying to narrow the field, and then snipe the right car.
    Depends, for that kinda of money you could end up with a CPO warranty on at least a few of the cars. Having some kind of warranty might be worth dealership...

Car
    B5A4tqma

Quote Originally Posted by Die Frau View Post
    That Highlander is likely to have the highest resale value.
    When i buy it, or when i sell?
    Resale in 5-6 years not a big consideration for me. If i get a better car for that long (low maint, easier DIY stuff, no bullshit) then i am ok giving up $1500 in resale or whatever.

Car
    Wood Motorboat |'15 Tahoe

When i buy it, or when i sell?
    Yes.

Of the cars you listed, I think it is the least likely to give you significant issues over the next 5-6 years. At which time you may get 50-60% back out of it. Not likely with some of the others.

But that is all based on hearsay and no direct knowledge or ownership of any of the brands you listed.

Car
    337, Scirocco, GT, Ranger

My sister really likes her Highlander.
    Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    Now is where I politely tell you to go fuck yourself.

Car
    Changes more than Scotty

Mazda CX-5 will drive the best and get good mileage. Not the biggest on yer list though. Looks the best IMO of the listed vehicles. Don't see them on every corner either.

The listed Subarus have CVT piles-o-crap for transmissions, not nice interiors, and terrible sounding boxers. I don't get peoples infatuation with Subaru.

The Toyotas will last and last and last etc... And there are a ton to choose from, but the price will prob be higher. Might fall asleep driving them.

Hyundai? On purpose? They have good warranties?

Those Fords are Fords. Ponderous, ugly, common, boring.

Private party could save you thousands. With the saved thousands a pre-purchase inspection could be done for piece of mind. Or just be a smart, informed, meticulous, non-settling buyer.

Happy shopping; all opinion here but that is what you were asking for!!
    2009 Honda Fit Sport Manual, 71k
    1999 Toyota Land Cruiser of WOW, 241k
    No Euro.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by MisdemeanorMatt View Post
    I beg to differ, they are colossal pieces of crap.
    Google ford escape rust problems.
    I am referring to the latest generation of Escape. Everything I found for rust issues was 2012 or older.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

When you are looking at used cars that are 2-3 years old, you are looking at cars that have been under warranty their whole life, and have a greater chance of being up to date on maintenance.

Also, when you are haggling, you can pretty easily get an additional warranty added on for free that covers other major repairs with a small deductible. The one I got on my last VW covered an alternator repair I needed. I paid a $100 and it was fixed.

Sure, you might be able to save a couple grand at the most if you buy PP, but when you are dealing with cars this new, PP cars are not really any better than dealership cars.

Car
    2016 Subaru Forester

Skip the Forester, I have a 2016 and it is a pile of shit. I'm going to be stuck with mine for a while until I get right side up on the loan. Trade in value was $20k on a $29k car 12 months later....great resale value my ass. That is a third of the value gone in a year.