Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Car
    Touareg. XC70. F430.

Quote Originally Posted by stiers View Post
    Skip the Forester, I have a 2016 and it is a pile of shit. I'm going to be stuck with mine for a while until I get right side up on the loan. Trade in value was $20k on a $29k car 12 months later....great resale value my ass. That is a third of the value gone in a year.
    Sounds like you just had a bad offer.

KBB, et al have 2.5i Limited ($29k msrp) listed at $26k private party and higher than that at dealers. Unless you have a metric shit ton of miles.

The average vehicle loses 20% of it's value in the first year of ownership. So if that's the case, you'd be looking at $24k to sell it private party. Dealers like to make money. So they lowballed your trade in.

And Subaru is consistently named best retained value by multiple organizations.

Regardless, get the Mazda CX5. It's sweet.

Car
    2016 Subaru Forester

Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    Sounds like you just had a bad offer.

KBB, et al have 2.5i Limited ($29k msrp) listed at $26k private party and higher than that at dealers. Unless you have a metric shit ton of miles.

The average vehicle loses 20% of it's value in the first year of ownership. So if that's the case, you'd be looking at $24k to sell it private party. Dealers like to make money. So they lowballed your trade in.

And Subaru is consistently named best retained value by multiple organizations.

Regardless, get the Mazda CX5. It's sweet.
    It has almost 23k miles. I agree, get the CX5, the salesman talked me out of it and into the Forester. Huge mistake, if I had known all the issues and oddities the new Foresters have I never would have bought it.

Car
    Touareg. XC70. F430.

Bummer. I like Subarus. But with you, CX5 is a better vehicle than the Forester.

I do love the Outback, though.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by stiers View Post
    It has almost 23k miles. I agree, get the CX5, the salesman talked me out of it and into the Forester. Huge mistake, if I had known all the issues and oddities the new Foresters have I never would have bought it.
    23k on a 2016 is high miles for the year. I can see why they may have tried to lowball you on that trade in.

I bought a 2014, new, and I am on the average end of mileage with about 24k on my car.

Car
    B5A4tqma

Going out for test drives over the next few weeks.

Any dealership inputs are welcome. Leaning Toyota Highlander / Ford Edge (or MKX)

Car
    04 jetta wagon, 12 Golf T

after working at toyota for 5 years as a tech, you really can't go wrong with a 13-15 Rav 4cyl 4wd. 2gr v6 has block machining issues with HG leaks 12-14.
    Outback - can't go wrong there 13 or newer 2.5 without cvt. Those 3.6R are plenty fun to drive also. I checked out the one at Kadlec honda in rochester, its been there a while, but its legit. Looking at it for the wife.
    Highlander, don't get the newer model 15+ they are out of price range anyway but total garbage re-design. look for a 12-14 v6 awd limited with leather usually around 18-22k with under 60k on them.

edit:
    RX is an expensive Highlander (but you get hid availability and fake wood trim) There is a nice 07 400H hybrid at burnsville nissan lower miles.
    also the Edge is a great one too, plenty of room and the duratec is an ok engine if oil is changed often. They are a dime a dozen, higher optioned ones are more classy and cheaper than the MKX.
    you're looking up used handguns at school? welcomed to the flagged student list
    Your cock blocking like half the people on eurowerks with that statement.

Car
    B5A4tqma

Quote Originally Posted by veedubmechanic View Post
    after working at toyota for 5 years as a tech, you really can't go wrong with a 13-15 Rav 4cyl 4wd. 2gr v6 has block machining issues with HG leaks 12-14.
    Outback - can't go wrong there 13 or newer 2.5 without cvt. Those 3.6R are plenty fun to drive also. I checked out the one at Kadlec honda in rochester, its been there a while, but its legit. Looking at it for the wife.
    Highlander, don't get the newer model 15+ they are out of price range anyway but total garbage re-design. look for a 12-14 v6 awd limited with leather usually around 18-22k with under 60k on them.
    edit:
    RX is an expensive Highlander (but you get hid availability and fake wood trim) There is a nice 07 400H hybrid at burnsville nissan lower miles.
    also the Edge is a great one too, plenty of room and the duratec is an ok engine if oil is changed often. They are a dime a dozen, higher optioned ones are more classy and cheaper than the MKX.
    Super great post! Thank you.

Leaning heavily toward Highlander. My wife really likes the ford Edge but has driven neither. I hope she doesnt end up prefering Rav4's, because for the money i sure dont.
    Any caveats you would offer re:hybrid rx's? I would be owning outside of warranty given my budget.
    Last edited by JPB; 09-01-2016 at 01:49 PM. Reason: EDGE EDGE

Car
    S55, 330i, R53, JKU

I drove a twin turbo flex last weekend. It was sweet, and my wife wants one.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    listen to you old hags fussing over burrito prices. why don't you swing your purses at each other.

Car
    B5A4tqma

Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    I drove a twin turbo flex last weekend. It was sweet, and my wife wants one.
    Oope i meant Edge not Flex.

Car
    B5A4tqma

Went and drove a bunch of cars. We're leaning Lexus RX .. our budget should grab us a nice 2nd Gen (2008, 2009) or possibly a 3rd Gen (2010, 2011)

Does anyone know a good resource on finding out differences? I've found ClubLexus forums, but that's about it.

1st place: Lexus RX
    2nd: Mazda CX5
    3rd: Ford Edge
    4th: Highlander

dnf: subaru

Car
    Ch ch changes...

My brother bought his rx new in 2005 and he still owns it. He absolutely loves it. Rx330 I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    You buy weird cars.