Car
    b6 a4/g-whips/red truck

Default Anyone know a radon mitigation guy

So, pretty sure I have at least some amount of radon in the basement and may need to go with a mitigation system of some sort. Does anyone know a guy or have used one they would recommend that would come take a look/test/whatever they need to do?
    Team B0N4R

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

That home inspection company I recommended in the other forum can do radon testing. They have the electronic tester that takes readings every hour for 48 hours for a very accurate test.

Do not trust any inspectors that use disposable testers.

And the electronic test will cost you about $150.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

Scheunemann Home Inspections
    651-646-0009

Car
    S55, 330i, R53, JKU

Ya, what he said on a second opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    listen to you old hags fussing over burrito prices. why don't you swing your purses at each other.

Car
    My Saab

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Siren-S.../dp/B011ACOMK0

We just had to have a mitigation system installed (last week) into our house as sealing the sump and water main holes only brought the level down to 4.6 (acceptable limit is 4.0).

We had a business called Healthy Homes install it, they do $1500 no matter what. Took 4 guys 2 hours and they were out of there, now radon is at .5 so that's good I guess.

The whole thing just seems kinda fishy but if you are buying or selling a home it's the new hot key word.

Car
    S55, 330i, R53, JKU

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    The whole thing just seems kinda fishy but if you are buying or selling a home it's the new hot key word.
    I'm with you on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    listen to you old hags fussing over burrito prices. why don't you swing your purses at each other.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

Yeah mitigation is spendy for what it is. You are basically venting your basement out to fresh air instead of up through your house.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

FYI. The reason I say not to trust the disposable radon testers is because I just sold my house, and the buyer had a radon test done. Not only did the buyers inspector use disposable testers, but he placed them improperly. My house failed, marginally, with a 4.05.

I disputed the test after I found out it would cost $1500 for mitigation. Had the home inspector recommended above come in with their electronic reader, A larger, more commercial, tester than the one Champ linked to. Their test resulted in a 1.8.

So a real test, done right, saved me a ton of cash.

Car
    b6 a4/g-whips/red truck

ya, I won't be doing any real testing until I seal up what would have probably been an old well room. still dirt floor under my stairs in the basement. until that is fixed there is no way of doing an accurate test
    Team B0N4R

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

Well, just because you have open dirt in the basement, doesn't mean you automatically have a radon problem. Yes, radon comes out of the ground, but the contamination varies. So you may not even have a problem when you are all done.

Car
    b6 a4/g-whips/red truck

the initial throw away test was double what the "safe" level is, but that was with it pretty close to where the dirt floor room is, thus my initial concerns. I will be filling that room in once its warmer out and then have someone with a quality tester come out. just trying to plan ahead.
    Team B0N4R

Car
    Ferd Fercus

Why not DIY? I have a drill you can borrow if you rent the bit.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Ernest Hemingway

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by the_bomber View Post
    the initial throw away test was double what the "safe" level is, but that was with it pretty close to where the dirt floor room is, thus my initial concerns. I will be filling that room in once its warmer out and then have someone with a quality tester come out. just trying to plan ahead.

The problem with that is you are supposed to use 3 disposable tests placed in different areas to get an average. There are also other rules about making sure they are not anywhere near things that move air, like your furnace, fans, or HVAC vents.

Putting a floor in that room will help. Radon can penetrate concrete, but as a gas, it will still tend to take the path of least resistance and vent around your house.

Good luck.

Car
    b6 a4/g-whips/red truck

Quote Originally Posted by JTapper View Post
    Why not DIY? I have a drill you can borrow if you rent the bit.
    If after I get everything sealed up and its still an issue, I will be doing it myself most likely. I'm cheap.
    Team B0N4R