Car
    71 Fastback

Default Motorsports discussion

Everyone (here) probably has their niche motorsport they follow for one reason or another. Sometimes for the sport of it, sometimes for the performance factor, or even just because they like watching other people do dangerous things. So what are you guys' favorite motorsports? Why are they your favorite? Pro's and con's? Anything you would like to see more of/less of? Keep things friendly and keep things going so i have something worthwhile to read after work

My personal favorite type of racing will always be Hillclimb and downhill. Specifically I really liked watching Pikes peak when it was still gravel (oh well) and downhill cat and mouse style races. Not necessarily overpowered cars, generally not using unobtainium space age parts and driven on a constantly dangerous track. General level of cars are that of what a local shop could fund and build, dialable in with conventional equipment, etc. etc. Things you could really appreciate on a real level. My biggest complaint about a majority of the race scene (not to be confused with disliking them or anything) is the fact that a majority of the most popular race divisions use tech most people couldn't even wrap their heads around (ie F1 braking system) and cost more than most people's houses. Alternatively, engineered within an inch of it's life so it's not even the car it represents anymore (Nascar, DTM, WRC).

/sleeplessrant

Car
    My Saab

Because I race motorcycles I follow basically all of the motorcycle racing, Moto GP this year has been one of the best seasons in probably a decade+. We typically attend the MotoAmerica / AMA round at Road America to spectate and help out friends that may be riding.

I used to follow WRC but then we lost the cable channel that ran it so I was unable to follow.

Car
    2008 VW GTI

I like DTM although I would hardly say I follow it... try to stay on top but there is always some other life crisis that needs attention more.
    . I want a horn here, here, and here. You can never find the horn when you're mad.

'08 GTI 4 dr, United Grey

Car
    MKVII GSW TDI

I watch and follow F1 religiously. The racing is not necessarily that good. The winner is usually someone named Hamilton or Vettel for about 6 years, but the tech is simply unbelievable. Somehow they're able to make a 1.5L v6 make close to 900hp and last more than one race. The "formula" is basically a set of parameters that the cars have to meet and everything else is fair game.

Car
    My Saab

Quote Originally Posted by JSalzl View Post
    I watch and follow F1 religiously. The racing is not necessarily that good. The winner is usually someone named Hamilton or Vettel for about 6 years, but the tech is simply unbelievable. Somehow they're able to make a 1.5L v6 make close to 900hp and last more than one race. The "formula" is basically a set of parameters that the cars have to meet and everything else is fair game.
    I watched the COTA race this past weekend, and they interviewed one of the engineers about the front wings - and he said it takes roughly 1400 man hours to MAKE one of the wings - and they have just a pile of them sitting there.

The amount of time, money, and resources that go into that sport is just totally mind boggling.

Car
    '85 Porsche 928S

I watched that race too. I thought there was good racing this weekend. That wing fact blows my mind, especially after watching a few crashes. Those are spendy crashes!! I followed Takumi religiously when he was owning all of Gunma in the downhill circuits. THAT, was good racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTapper View Post
    It's all good as long as the balls don't touch.

Car
    B8 A4 Avant

i usually stick to F1 and MotoGP.... but the 24 hour ,Motocross, DTM, and whatever else is on tv when im flipping thru.... nascar if im super bored.

that or i go down to prokart for league to watch some old race buddies beat on each other
    Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster