Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Car
    323iT

It looks like Bosch knew about it in the source code and warned them previously.

"Bild reported that Bosch, which supplied the software for test purposes in 2007, warned about its planned illegal use at the time."

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...fected-lawyers

Car
    B5A4tqma

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    If VW does just "fix" the software and now all the TDI's get less MPG - I would imagine their used price is going to plummet.

I believe there are several countries in Europe that have halted all new and used sales on these - i.e. if you wanted one, you couldn't purchase one (they won't let you move the registration). I would imagine if there is a fix, they are going to keep track of the cars that got it like Kris mentions.
    Hmmm... Cheap tdi's for ppl who know what reflashing is ? There has to be a loophole opportunity here somewhere. As the MT tdi sportwagen capital of the universe, must find it before it gets jalopnik'd.

Car
    2011 Golf Variant SE 2.5

It appears that, in fact, they do have a DEF (AdBlue) retrofit system ready to go and knew that was what would be needed to meet emissions standards....

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/09...iesel-retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by shawn o View Post
    After the failed recall last December, they probably already have a DEF retrofit designed for the 2009-2014 cars. No doubt, consumers won't like that (I wouldn't) but, this way, they can blame the EPA for "forcing" them to implement it to bring the cars into spec.

Forcing a DEF system on consumers vehicles, who bought that car without one, will have the lawyers salivating.

Car
    Touareg. XC70. F430.

Co-worker traded his 14 TDI SW in for a 15 TSI SW yesterday.

He had it appraised at Westside three weeks ago. His trade-in appraisal was $3k less yesterday than it was three weeks ago. Westside honored the 30 day appraised value. And he drove away in a TSI.

I'm curious to see how this all pans out.

Car
    My Saab

Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    Me also.

Our car already has 185,000 miles on it so I never had high hopes of decent resale value, in fact we were probably just going to keep it until it dies.

I am guessing whoever makes the tuners for these cars is salivating right now - if VW forces a software update I am sure there are going to be people going in droves for the "off-road tune."

Car
    Touareg. XC70. F430.

It sounds like they are going to add DEF, I just read an article this am... and of course now I can't find it.

Car
    BMW X1

“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

Car
    My Saab

It sounds like they are going to add DEF, I just read an article this am... and of course now I can't find it.
    Derp.

Guessing there is going to be a mega class action following basically any solution...that will make the lawyers rich.

Car
    JSW TDI 6MT & 2 Suburbans

If their solution is to retro Ad Blue to every car, are they paying for Ad Blue for as long as I own my car? Because that cost wasn't factored in part of the original purchase. Are they also going to warranty the Ad Blue components for life? Because my car didn't have them when I bought the car.
    Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

There are so many articles out there about this now, so pardon me if this question is already answered......

What is being done to remedy the fact that people bought these cars with stickers that claimed, "XX MPG, YYY HP, ZZZ Torque, 0-60 in A.BC" and so on? These cars are all going to perform different than advertised when they were purchased, correct?

Car
    BMW X1

NO ONE FUCKING KNOWS YET
    “We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

Car
    B5A4tqma

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Derp.

Guessing there is going to be a mega class action following basically any solution...that will make the lawyers rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by mimalmo View Post
    If their solution is to retro Ad Blue to every car, are they paying for Ad Blue for as long as I own my car? Because that cost wasn't factored in part of the original purchase. Are they also going to warranty the Ad Blue components for life? Because my car didn't have them when I bought the car.
    I can't believe that VW would make the decision to stick their necks out to meet consumer demands this way without many cost/benefit analyses, contingencies, risk assessments, etc. You dont manufacture on this scale without plenty of insiders knowing what the deal is... Engineers, management, etc.

Has onyone here on EW purchased (not leased) a diesel vw outright? Are purchase agreements for new cars written in legalese?
    Perhaps there could be loose-enough verbiage that you agree to accept diminished performance "to meet environmental regulation mandated by regulators" or some other such nonsense? This is speculation on my part so set me straight if you like.

Never owned a new car, never had diesel. But i wouldnt be surprised to see trickery in the result... There wont be much face left to save... In the end, a year of bad publicity and lower projected sales may have been cheaper than enabling a lawsuit with pushover contracts.

Car
    B5A4tqma

Quote Originally Posted by MisdemeanorMatt View Post
    NO ONE FUCKING KNOWS YET
    But it is funnnnnnn. And the new starwars trailer is taking forevvvvvvveeerrrr

Car
    BMW X1

Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    And the new starwars trailer is taking forevvvvvvveeerrrr
    So that's why i've been seeing so much crap in the stores. IDGAF

Car
    72 911T, '12 Jetta, Tahoe

Co-worker traded his 14 TDI SW in for a 15 TSI SW yesterday.

He had it appraised at Westside three weeks ago. His trade-in appraisal was $3k less yesterday than it was three weeks ago. Westside honored the 30 day appraised value. And he drove away in a TSI.

Can't imagine he didnt lose money.... seems silly.