Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Car
    Porsche 914, Jeep XJ

Realistically, don't all companies exist to take your money in exchange for a product?

First, if VW did knowingly program these cars for the purpose of skirting around environmental testing that they claimed to meet, there are some serious ethical issues and they are going to be paying for that for a long time.

Second, from what I've read VW hasn't actually admitted to doing that, but rather issued a sweeping apology. Knowing how complex of a system it is I believe it could be possible that the programming in question may be for some other purpose.

Personally, I'd want all the facts before I pass judgement. So far we have a very serious allegation, but no full acceptance or explanation.
    Last edited by OptimusGlen; 09-22-2015 at 07:05 AM.

Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    Can anyone quantify for me the how the extra emissions VW has emitted has affected global warming? If this crap is science, we should be able to have a statistical before and after based on average driving by consumers. Lets have it. Anyone?
    Each TDI on the road is emitting NOx equivalents of 8-15 Escalades when not in "test mode." As has been stated, NOx isn't a big deal here, but if you're in a large city close to a mountain, it causes problems.

That being said, each TDI is emitting considerably less CO2, which is better for the environment. Essentiall, diesel is better for the environment, worse for people.

Car
    Touareg. XC70. F430.

Well that escalated quickly. CEO is out. And they've admitted to it in 11 million vehicles. Eek.

Car
    Porsche 914, Jeep XJ

Holy carp, 11 million?!

I imagine there are a lot of higher ups at VW that are considering retirement about now.

Also, anyone thinking about buying some VW stock once it bottoms out?
    Last edited by OptimusGlen; 09-22-2015 at 09:15 AM.

Car
    B6 Avant

The total number of cars it has reached is insane. I'm shocked there are 11 million cars in America with these motors.

Car
    BMW X1

Quote Originally Posted by paulzeee View Post
    I'm shocked there are 11 million cars in America with these motors.
    Wordwide, not in 'Merica.
    “We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

Also, there is a good chance that a lot of these cars are compliant in their registered countries. The US has some of the most restrictive emissions standards for diesel automobiles

Car
    72 911T, '12 Jetta, Tahoe

should have HUGE RIPPING BONERS at the opportunity to "vote with their wallets" because they have been lied to, taken advantage of, and misled by a company that only exists to take your money in exchange for a product.
    Im with you there man. Going to be a double whammy. Government AND the consumers are going to make them pay for it. Sucks on your snail toilet experience. I guess sometimes its tough to see that perspective when we are from here and dont really ever have air quality warnings...

Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    It's just amazing. You fucking consumer "me me me" idiots are so excited to be victims of "oppression" when you actually have not lived a day of it in your lives compared to the massive amount of shit that happens to rest of this planet on a daily basis.
    again. yes. I agree. This is why theres a huge fuck all argument about changing lake calhoun. Theres no perspective. We have to engineer things to be upset about now I suppose.
    Last edited by Digital K; 09-22-2015 at 05:38 PM.

Car
    S55, 330i, R53, JKU

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    again. yes. I agree. This is why theres a huge fuck all argument about changing lake calhoun. Theres no perspective. We have to engineer things to be upset about now I suppose.
    Ugh, that nonsense. Bunch of garbage. I think that re-naming things and fluffy solutions like this actually makes things worse because it makes people think less about the more real, larger issue at hand. Because you know, thinking takes work and stuff. Oh, and since when is trying to erase the past a good idea? How are people supposed to learn?

Ok, back to how bad VW is going to get hosed by all this for the next decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    listen to you old hags fussing over burrito prices. why don't you swing your purses at each other.

Car
    hood scoop

gonna be a good time to buy a turbo sportwagon.
    bitch, you trippin'

Car
    B6 Avant & Rusty ToyPick

Quote Originally Posted by derp View Post
    gonna be a good time to buy a turbo sportwagon.

Why is that? My first thought was the opposite, if VW stops selling them new until this is all fixed, the used market is going to be the only place to get one. Demand would be going up. I'm honestly asking.

Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

The gas ones are turbo too, I don't quite know what that post meant.

I plan on keeping mine. I'm miffed by this whole emissions thing, but as it sits right now, I'm still very happy with the car. The ride is nice, it handles well, the interior is comfortable, and I got 48mpg running around for work appointments yesterday.

Car
    hood scoop

Yeah, I meant the gas ones. I have a feeling there will be some deep incentives to get people in the showrooms
    bitch, you trippin'

Car
    S55, 330i, R53, JKU

America's hat, first up with a Class Action.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/news/wi...n-class-action
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    listen to you old hags fussing over burrito prices. why don't you swing your purses at each other.

Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

There was a US one filed almost immediately after the EPA released their findings.

I don't plan on participating in the class action suit. I imagine it will end up a lot like the Toyota one where the owners got a check for $50 each, and the lawyers walked away with $220million