Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Car
    mk4 TDI, TDI Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
    ^+1
    +2

Hopefully a misinformed A7 TDI owner decides they must offload their car.

Car
    2011 Golf Variant SE 2.5

I believe states can (and do) flag registration until certain environmental recalls are performed and the owner has proof of it. Not sure anything like that will be done here but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by JSalzl View Post
    I have two cars that fall into this category, both outside manufacturer warranty. There isn't a whole lot in minnesota that they could do to obligate me to have them "repaired" is there?

Car
    2011 Golf Variant SE 2.5

I initially thought it was all B.S. EPA politics but now VW has admitted it.

This issue goes back over a year and was discovered by accident.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...lean-air-group

VW already tried to "fix" the issue with a software update but apparently that didn't bring the car into spec. Doesn't appear there will be any quick fix for this. I wouldn't doubt if VW is forced to offer a cash payout for owners to turn their cars in.

I've already seen reports on TDIclub of people trying to trade their TDIs into other (non VW) dealers and being told no.

Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

Yea, it sounds like the cars without AdBlue are going to have problems.

I'm surprised VW came out today and pretty much said "our bad." They really could learn from the NE Patriots/Tom Brady playbook

Car
    2011 Golf Variant SE 2.5

After the failed recall last December, they probably already have a DEF retrofit designed for the 2009-2014 cars. No doubt, consumers won't like that (I wouldn't) but, this way, they can blame the EPA for "forcing" them to implement it to bring the cars into spec.

Forcing a DEF system on consumers vehicles, who bought that car without one, will have the lawyers salivating.

Car
    71 Fastback

alright, TDI here i come

Car
    MKVII GSW TDI

well if it means i can get my wife's DPF replaced for little or no cost, that would save me oh you know $1500 bucks..

Car
    JSW TDI 6MT & 2 Suburbans

Quote Originally Posted by shawn o View Post
    After the failed recall last December, they probably already have a DEF retrofit designed for the 2009-2014 cars. No doubt, consumers won't like that (I wouldn't) but, this way, they can blame the EPA for "forcing" them to implement it to bring the cars into spec.

Forcing a DEF system on consumers vehicles, who bought that car without one, will have the lawyers salivating.

I hope you're wrong. No thanks to DEF. DPF is bad enough.

How much environmental impact is avoided by having a DPF when you consider how far it drops off mpgs?
    Same goes for DEF, especially when you consider the manufacturing, shipping, mpg loss, etc...
    Over the life of the vehicle, I'm betting that I'm paying thousands more for additional emissions gear, consumed fuel, added weight, etc while the environmental benefits are next to nothing when the mileage penalties and other impacts are considered.
    Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Car
    72 911T, '12 Jetta, Tahoe

Quote Originally Posted by JK9K View Post
    Maybe this will lead to TDI prices decreasing and then I can snatch one up for pennies!

this is what I was thinking... though if VW is forced to buy them back because they cant fix them... would they be crushed or resold, or parted out or some such thing?

Car
    2011 Golf Variant SE 2.5

Car

Quote Originally Posted by shawn o View Post
    yup. lost 25% on their share price. bad news. I wonder how economically protectionist the Obama Administration really is.... we'll see I guess. If he chooses he could really fuck VW.

Car

Can anyone quantify for me the how the extra emissions VW has emitted has affected global warming? If this crap is science, we should be able to have a statistical before and after based on average driving by consumers. Lets have it. Anyone?

Car
    2011 Golf Variant SE 2.5

How about a statistical comparison of cars emissions from the 1960s, 70s, or 80s to today's vehicles? I'd wager, even the dirtiest of modern diesels is probably 100x cleaner than anything from those periods.

Car
    E46 M3 & E30 'verts

The emissions that out of spec are not the global warming ones, but rather the air burns your mucous membranes and kills off asthmatics ones. We really don't have anything to worry about here in Minnesota since a breeze off the prairie will clean that shit right out. It is a bigger problem in places like L.A., the Colorado Front Range, and other places where the air gets trapped down by where people live. I have lived there and when the wind holds the pollution against the side of the mountain it can get pretty crappy.

Car
    S55, 330i, R53, JKU

I don't have hard data, but I do have a personal experience...I spent 7 days in the front range three weeks ago (boulder, golden, denver) and the air was terrible. Air quality was in the daily news, and it was a factor that affected attendance at outdoor events that our company had scheduled. I could probably make the case that it made the whole demo trip less effective, and will affect our bottom line. Moot at this point I guess, since it's not affecting you directly, right?

On a personal level, I had a week of BS of snot and upper respiratory lung biscuits 7 days after I came back to the swamp known as the Midwest and I was a a day away from scheduling a doctors appointment until I woke up at 2am and hacked up something that looked like a snail into my toilet. It was not pleasant.

Overall, the air situation was pretty bleak. You could see this brown smudge in the air from a distance (looking down, on the top 10k foot peak sadly) and this was the first time in the US I could see something in the air that was directly affecting my health. This is the part of the conversation where after facts are laid bare and a company admits to its customers that "they screwed up" the deeply principled and ethical american consumers that always make logical decisions (LOL) should have HUGE RIPPING BONERS at the opportunity to "vote with their wallets" because they have been lied to, taken advantage of, and misled by a company that only exists to take your money in exchange for a product.

VW has deeply fucked people that have spent shitloads of money one of their products, and at this point, the purchases were based on a series of lies and deception. I cannot believe that people are more pissed at some government agency than the people that are straight up lying to you and stealing your money based on the performance of a product that was a lie from the get-go.

It's just amazing. You fucking consumer "me me me" idiots are so excited to be victims of "oppression" when you actually have not lived a day of it in your lives compared to the massive amount of shit that happens to rest of this planet on a daily basis.

Big picture, check it out sometime. Fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    listen to you old hags fussing over burrito prices. why don't you swing your purses at each other.