Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    Car
    MKVII GSW TDI

Quote Originally Posted by TTaM View Post
    No. He can though on his TDI that was totaled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    What Matt said, although I still want to get the paperwork submitted so the ball is in their court when the time comes.
    Gotcha, i can't find anything i like to replace my car, my wife is probably getting a small suv to replace hers (Tiguan, CX-5, Escape, or similar) , but I'm having a hard time finding a car i want to drive everyday, i keep finding W8's, 535xiT's and Avants, but nothing that can reliable put 25-30k miles a year on without needing a 3rd car for when the primary is inevitably on jack stands

Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

So this completely changes my line of thinking with the buyback:

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on Friday approved a fix for about 70,000 polluting Volkswagen 2.0-liter diesel vehicles.
    The German automaker agreed to buy back up to 475,000 polluting 2009-2015 vehicles in June at a cost of as much as $10.033 billion, or fix them if regulators approved.
    The vehicles covered by the approved fix are the 2015 diesel Volkswagen Beetle, Golf, Golf SportWagen, Jetta, Passat and 2015 diesel Audi A3.
    The fix involves an initial software change available now. A second phase of the fix will start about a year from now when VW will install more software updates and new hardware, including a diesel particulate filter, diesel oxidation catalyst and NOx catalyst.
    In October, a federal judge approved VW's settlement with regulators and U.S. owners of 475,000 polluting diesel vehicles with smaller 2.0-liter engines, including an offer to buy back or fix all of the cars.
    VW is still waiting for approval for fixes for about 400,000 remaining 2.0-liter vehicles.
    "With today's approval, VW can offer vehicle owners the choice to keep and fix their car, or to have it bought back," the EPA said in a statement, adding that test data demonstrated the fix would "not affect vehicle fuel economy, reliability, or durability."
    http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...iesel-vehicles

There was no mention of performance, which I would think remaining roughly the same, save for potentially more DEF consumption, which to this point has been a non-issue. The 10K service interval includes a DEF top-off, and in 35K miles, I've seen the light go on once, but it was right before a service was due.

We've been talking about potentially moving, which would increase both of our commutes. I may need to get back into a company car (I have a monthly mile cap for expensing), and depending on where we find a house, the 19mpg Evo that she daily's might need to be replaced. Sell the Evo and have her daily the TDI, while I get back into a company provided Fusion.

Plus, I believe I read somewhere that I could always go for the fix, and if I wasn't happy, I could still sell the car back.

Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

Plus, I believe I read somewhere that I could always go for the fix, and if I wasn't happy, I could still sell the car back.
    Hmm, I read further, it might only be if I have a failure after the fix, then I could sell it back. I guess I'll wait to see what they send out regarding the fix.

Car
    mk4 TDI, TDI Ranger

I'm willing to bet that used TDIs are going to be highly prized once this is all said and done. Might not be a bad idea to hold onto your car.

Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
    I'm willing to bet that used TDIs are going to be highly prized once this is all said and done. Might not be a bad idea to hold onto your car.
    When the dust settles, maybe. Then again, VW is currently offering me more than I paid for the car new. I doubt I'd be able to get more than that.

Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, 74 Scout II

Why sell at all? The fix will pay you plus you get to keep a car that is perfect for your current and possible future life. At least for a few years until you decide to move on naturally and then you have a valuable car that has great resale because 350,000 other people had their perfect cars crushed.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by sprstu View Post
    Why sell at all? The fix will pay you plus you get to keep a car that is perfect for your current and possible future life. At least for a few years until you decide to move on naturally and then you have a valuable car that has great resale because 350,000 other people had their perfect cars crushed.
    Well, one, I put more miles on the vehicle than the average that VW set for the settlement, so the more I drive it, the less my offer from VW would be.

Also, being in insurance, I've had to deal with a few TDIs that end up being totaled before VW buys them back. If something like this were to happen, the difference seems to be $3-5K less when the dust settles.

And third, we've been thinking of selling our house and looking for another, and getting the loan for the VW off my credit should help with that.

Car

Im still on the fence about selling or keeping. Not sure the money is as important to me as having the perfect car for my lifestyle. But mines a lot older so the buy back was nothing crazy, 16K which is a little more than I paid out the door.

FCA is now in the hit seat for their 3.0V6 Diesel. Estimate 5billion in fines and fees. no word on a buyback of those illegal, dirty machines.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards fixing my car and keeping it. The fix warranty will have most of the car covered until 160K miles, so I figure I can keep it, run the warranty out, and then figure out what I want to do with.

My only fear is VW repairing the 2015s that get bought back, and then the market is flooded with cheap TDIs, lowering the value of mine.

Car
    MKVII GSW TDI

Selling one for sure. Replaced a 2-door golf with a Tiguan

Car
    My Saab

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards fixing my car and keeping it. The fix warranty will have most of the car covered until 160K miles, so I figure I can keep it, run the warranty out, and then figure out what I want to do with.

My only fear is VW repairing the 2015s that get bought back, and then the market is flooded with cheap TDIs, lowering the value of mine.
    Yes - but there will be basically 0 available from 2009-2014 (when did they get ad-blue?), making the 2015's the only option which may drive demand up.

Car
    '98 Jetta, '91 Jetta

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Yes - but there will be basically 0 available from 2009-2014 (when did they get ad-blue?), making the 2015's the only option which may drive demand up.
    Yeah, except the normal consumer doesn't want anything to do with TDIs because they hear about bad emissions and don't research further. The only demand will be from VW enthusiasts, people that know the scandal was stupid and that the diesel emission laws are too strict, or people that like hypermiling.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

The average consumer doesn't care about emissions. Just look at how many F-150's are sold that will never haul anything.

Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

Yea, most people have never heard of dieselgate.

Car

Any guess as to the slap not he wrist Dodge will get? Super sad because since Im a crazy person I was looking forward to the cheap, used, EcoDiesel Rams of the future.
    Go Green with Diesel.