Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
    Car
    BMW X1

Quote Originally Posted by sprstu View Post
    To get the chance payout you must "fix" the car or sell it back. If no fix arrives the only method will be buy back ( is my understanding).

I'm in a tough spot, I owe roughly 10k and my value is 18,200. So selling and paying off my car leaves me with 8k to use towards a new car. No way will I be able to find something as new with fewer miles in that price range. I could buy a lot of cool car for 8k but it will be older and probably less useful than my JSW.

I like my my car a lot. With the tune, H&Rs, and some decent tired this thing is perfect. Plus it has more cargo capacity than my Jeep and gets twice the mileage. It doesn't get better than this car.
    I have a friend in the exact same situation, it's a crappy position to be in all around. I would hold out to see if/when a fix/how easy to remove, and what it all entails before deciding.
    “We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

Car
    '03 S10 ZR2,'14 Jetta 5M

Quote Originally Posted by sprstu View Post
    I'm in a tough spot, I owe roughly 10k and my value is 18,200. So selling and paying off my car leaves me with 8k to use towards a new car. No way will I be able to find something as new with fewer miles in that price range. I could buy a lot of cool car for 8k but it will be older and probably less useful than my JSW.
    This scenario assumes you want to get out of car payments (which I wouldn't blame you one bit). However, if you take the 8,200 bucks you would have left over after paying off your JSW and then found a different car for say $18,200 and you financed $10K of it with a $8,200 down payment then you really wouldn't be any worse off financially.

The hard part is that you like your car. You have done some nice stuff to it to make it better than stock. So I understand the reluctance to want to turn it in. Especially considering that even for $20K there are not many options that provide as much versatility as your car does.

Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, 74 Scout II

Exactly. Its selling and moving to no payments. Or find a swell mk6 GTI with 35k miles for $14k and finance with $125 month payment on the best all around car in the world, the money saved per month would balance the fuel cost
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    MKVII GSW TDI

The most interesting part of this whole thing is you can actually hold out on the buyout and as long as you drive under like 15k miles a year you actually don't lose anything on buyback value. They are back dating mileage based on the NADA average miles driven

Car
    855T

Most speculation I have read is that these buy back cars will be crushed.
    But if VW comes up with a approved fix what are the chances they fix all the buy back cars and end up reselling them?
    Seems the most cost effective measure for VW rather then just taking the hit for all the cars they buy back.
    Some day I'm going to build an airplane/Then I'm going to die in a plane crash
    The motorcycle is a work of art, a testament to the corner gods, and as with all religious endevours, requires a bit of ceremony and respect.

Car
    B5A4tqma

Quote Originally Posted by boardrider247 View Post
    Most speculation I have read is that these buy back cars will be crushed.
    But if VW comes up with a approved fix what are the chances they fix all the buy back cars and end up reselling them?
    Seems the most cost effective measure for VW rather then just taking the hit for all the cars they buy back.
    Wow if that is true, they really didnt hedge their bets ... At all? Seems odd to take such an enormous gamble just to net more sales, doesnt it?

Makes you wonder what other secrets are out there.

Car
    JSW TDI 6MT & 2 Suburbans

Interesting stuff from today:

VW's presentation http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/filelib...esentation.pdf

Calculator (not from VW, just created by someone that reviewed all the docs) https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/
    Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Car

Yikes did I lose a big chunk for my 115k miles! The $18.2 turned into 15.9 real fast.

Still now word on a "fix" as of late.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

Its still looking like a buyback for me. If I keep the car and run it until its out of warranty, I'll lose less than $200. Warranty should be up sometime this spring.

My gripe right now is there is no talk of trade tax credits, so MN gets another 6.5% of whatever my replacement vehicle is.

Car
    JSW TDI 6MT & 2 Suburbans

Quote Originally Posted by TTaM View Post
    My gripe right now is there is no talk of trade tax credits, so MN gets another 6.5% of whatever my replacement vehicle is.

Then the courts need to hear that. The only way this will be considered is if several of us reach out.

Typical of bureaucracy, giving them notice of your displeasure has to be in writing to 3 different individuals.

See page 27, point 57
    https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en...m%20Notice.pdf
    Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Car

It would be insane for VW to crush the "buy back" cars. the environmental impact alone out weighs all the "damage" these cars would do just to stay on the road. This feels a hell of a lot like "Cash For Clunkers" that was a boost to the auto industry masked as an environmental help. SO 500,000 cars need to be replaced and boy have we got a Lease option for you!
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    04 jetta wagon, 12 Golf T

List of hands of people having their TDI bought back.....
    <~~~~~this guy
    you're looking up used handguns at school? welcomed to the flagged student list
    Your cock blocking like half the people on eurowerks with that statement.

Car
    My Saab

Will probably take the cash option. If we sold it back we'd just be looking to buy another one anyways. Perfect car for our needs.

Car
    mk4 TDI, TDI Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Will probably take the cash option. If we sold it back we'd just be looking to buy another one anyways. Perfect car for our needs.

Car
    MK6 JSW, MK4 GTI

Yeah I'm thinking about taking the cash option myself. Only other vehicle I'd want is an ALH Jetta wagon.

Ive heard of a few locals to me in WA getting packets in the mail from VW concerning the buyback option. Anybody received one of those yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by JTapper View Post
    I can attest to the size of the nuts.