Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tdi egr del

Car
    S55, 330i, R53, JKU

Default Tdi egr del

Yeah, so I'm really not going to deal with cleaning the whole intake thing more than once.

To that end, I plan to delete the EGR. It seems like since it's basically illegal, kits are hard to find. Has anyone pieced together a kit? Is it really just as easy as a plate?

This one has a race pipe:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-TDI-MK4-A...962b84&vxp=mtr

I found some killer vac line diagrams:

Anyone have any tips?
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    listen to you old hags fussing over burrito prices. why don't you swing your purses at each other.

Car
    2008 Passat Lux Wagon

With the changeover to ULSD, intake cleaning has almost become a thing of the past. That being said there is a lot of information online about EGR deletes. The racepipe seems to be the most favored.

Car
    '85 Porsche 928S

I did the race pipe and the block off plate. It took like 15 minutes. Ha! I think I got it from ID parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTapper View Post
    It's all good as long as the balls don't touch.

Car
    mk4 TDI, TDI Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by 10001110101 View Post
    With the changeover to ULSD, intake cleaning has almost become a thing of the past.
    ^This.

If you want to do it anyway, all you need to purchase harware-wise is a couple block off plates (idparts.com) and pick up a hose barb to eliminate the egr cooler. Tune is the biggest expense for the delete but contact Jon for that.

Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, 74 Scout II

Unless you want to physically remove everything its a really easy job. Id leave the egr cooler and all the lines, once you pull the ciculation pipe from the cooler to the manifold off (and block them) there is nothing left to gunk you system. Have a tune done and remove the egr cycle. Finished.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    S55, 330i, R53, JKU

Thanks for the info, I think I read too much on the internet. I like my info from people I "know" vs. some dingus.

The only reason I want to clean the manifold is because it was last done about 3-4 years ago, as far as I know. I figure it could not hurt...It looked kinda gross when I was looking in the EGR valve the other day. Knowing that stuff is just hanging there unhooked might wind up annoying me, we shall see.

Planning on a tune in the spring, but there are a few other things I want to button up first.
    listen to you old hags fussing over burrito prices. why don't you swing your purses at each other.

Car
    '03 S10 ZR2,'14 Jetta 5M

I am sure you read this already but your warm up time in the winter will be longer if you do remove the EGR. If I was building my car now vs back when I did it I would keep it on there, since the ULSD makes it easy to keep things clean.

Car
    T-IDI - M-TDI - TDI

Quote Originally Posted by isonic View Post
    I am sure you read this already but your warm up time in the winter will be longer if you do remove the EGR. If I was building my car now vs back when I did it I would keep it on there, since the ULSD makes it easy to keep things clean.
    ^ This is a big reason why I've kept mine. Anything I can do to help my engine warm up quicker in the winter is a plus for me, since I have a short commute.

One thing to think about: You can add a 'dynamic EGR' feature to your tune, which means that once the engine starts warming up, the EGR no longer comes on. I plan to add this to my next tune. More reading...

Car
    S55, 330i, R53, JKU

I have a 44 mile one way highway drive @ about 80mph, and that's all this car gets used for, so it's not an issue.

I'm not super concerned about the warm-up, but thanks for mentioning it. These cars are weird.

Car
    My Saab

Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    I have a 44 mile one way highway drive @ about 80mph, and that's all this car gets used for, so it's not an issue.

I'm not super concerned about the warm-up, but thanks for mentioning it. These cars are weird.
    When I drive our TDI to work, on the way home (so it starts off cold) it can take up to 15 miles highway to get up to operating temp. Interesting to watch! At least it blows out good heat before then.

On the coldest of days even leaving our heated garage it will not come up to temp for the entire drive...

Car
    S55, 330i, R53, JKU

Yeah, I'll see how it goes. Seems like people block part of the radiator if it's a problem.

Car
    My Saab

Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    Yeah, I'll see how it goes. Seems like people block part of the radiator if it's a problem.
    Agree, never played with that because my care level was too low.

Car
    '03 S10 ZR2,'14 Jetta 5M

When it is 0 degrees and below my car will actually lose heat if the blower is on and I am sitting at a stop light.

Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, 74 Scout II

damn efficient engines!
    You can use Cardboard to block the radiator, take the grill off and slide a couple pieces down there. I used basement pipe insulation on my golf, I cut it to size and because its designed to wrap around pipes it wrapped nicely around the grill slats.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    Bike

Quote Originally Posted by sprstu View Post
    damn efficient engines!
    You can use Cardboard to block the radiator, take the grill off and slide a couple pieces down there. I used basement pipe insulation on my golf, I cut it to size and because its designed to wrap around pipes it wrapped nicely around the grill slats.
    VW actually made a "cold weather" grille bra/cover for mk4's, i have one in a package somewhere...