Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Car
    mk4 TDI, TDI Ranger

Would you have any recourse with VW on this if it is due to the intercooler icing/condensation? Long shot but thought I'd ask.

Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, 74 Scout II

I dont think VW has done anything for Icing in the past, they have installed a weird new uppipe for some people but if there is a failure your SOL. Ill check around on TDI club further and see what people say.

In the event I have a bent rod (or 4!!!) would it make more sense to source a new longblock or used engine complete?
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    Rabbits, many.

Mn what a bummer... Hopefully its not something major.

Car

Super fun time.

After pulling the GP and cranking it over I did have water puff out of 3 cylinders. Nothing like a stream or anything but a noticeable amount shot out, stopped after 5-6 revolutions. I put the plugs back in and tried to fire it, still no start.

Back in the engine bay to check all connections and the fuel rail for leaks, everything seems ok. I then pulled the intake swivel valve to its fully open position, there was then the sound of locks opening inside the manifold.

Full glow plug cycle and cranked it for 5 seconds, it then stumbled to a start and ran rough for 3-5 seconds and once everything pressurized is started to idle as normal.

I drove it for about 45min around town and everything seems normal. I can not say for sure what was the exact cause but going through all of that fixed the issue. Im sure I depressurized the fuel system when I opened the filter and it would have fired over after cranking when I put the GPs back in so the swivel valve may have done nothing, still didnt hurt to try.

Short form:

No start out of the blue
    Pulled the fuel filter and meter valve to check for metal, all clean as you would expect
    Pulled the lower Inter Cooler hose and poured out a few ounces of water
    Pulled the glow plugs and turned the engine over, water puffed out of 3 cylinders
    Cranked but would not fire after reinstall of glow plugs
    Pulled the Swivel Valve to full open
    Stumbled and started runs with a clean idle
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    2006 VW Jetta TDi

2Micron (on TDIClub), has a valve he's been making to drain the intercooler. Not sure how easy it is to get one, but look it up, or make one:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...postcount=2915

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...postcount=3214

Car
    mk4 TDI, TDI Ranger

Well that's a relief! There are a lot of stories of water ingestion on the common rails but they typically happen while running and the effect is a serious stumble and rough running for a few seconds.

Based on your post above it does sound like your intake throttle might have been preventing air from getting into the engine...so your description of 'no compression' was actually very accurate if there was no air in the engine to compress.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted out. You can thank your low pressure EGR circuit for all the condensation in the charge air system. I think you know the foolproof fix to that issue.

Car
    BMW X1

Bullet dodged, glad it all worked out.
    “We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

Car

Malone stage 2 and some off-road pieces (sitting in my garage now) are in the works.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    '03 S10 ZR2,'14 Jetta 5M

Wow, really glad that all worked out Stu. That could have been bad!