Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Additives...

Car
    2006 VW Jetta TDi

Ditto on the power service... Silver bottle in summer, white bottle in winter... blah blah

The only problem is getting it into the car, you'll either need a small funnel, or find another bottle to put the additive in that can transfer easily. Something like this:

http://www.ourplastics.com/twin-neck-bottle/

I got a similar one at Mills...

Car
    72 911T, '12 Jetta, Tahoe

pffff its a diesel, just spill it down the side of the car.

Car
    '03 S10 ZR2,'14 Jetta 5M

Palmer, it is good that you are using additives. Just don't get paranoid if you forget to use it one time or something. I have never used any additives in my car, even in the winter. I fill up at good stations and have not had an issue.

Car
    My Saab

Quote Originally Posted by isonic View Post
    Palmer, it is good that you are using additives. Just don't get paranoid if you forget to use it one time or something. I have never used any additives in my car, even in the winter. I fill up at good stations and have not had an issue.
    Yes I tried to get that point across with my Jetta but you said it better. We have almost 150k on it and the only thing that has been in the filler is the pump nozzle.

Car
    97GTI VR6

Howes Diesel additive.
    Use in my F250 7.3L power stroke. no issues.
    ........ \______
    ......../__|___ \___
    ........\'o)i___l_(o);

Car
    S55, 330i, R53, JKU

Thanks guys. I figure my car can only benefit from an additive at this point, and I'm only into it for $20 so far. Figure it's worth it. The $8 I spent on MAF cleaner was well worth it, that's for sure.

So I found that the Holiday that's on Old Shak and Normandale has diesel, AND the nice lady driving a fed-ex truck I talked to said it was a popular stop for them because it was near a large hub and on shortcut over to 35north when 169 is backed up. I feel pretty alright about volume out of there, so I'll just plan to go there instead of the one near my house. Should be easy.

Good tip on the dispenser, I need to track that down. The shot glass and funnel I used are not going to cut it on a "regular" basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    listen to you old hags fussing over burrito prices. why don't you swing your purses at each other.

Car
    JSW TDI 6MT & 2 Suburbans

Just get one of the fuel nozzle adapters to make it easier to pour in your additives. It's a handy item to have when you find a fuel station that only has the big-rig nozzles.
    Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Car
    MKVII GSW TDI

Quote Originally Posted by mimalmo View Post
    Just get one of the fuel nozzle adapters to make it easier to pour in your additives. It's a handy item to have when you find a fuel station that only has the big-rig nozzles.
    This is one of the more annoying things about 2013+ VW's. They have a fuel neck restrictor that won't take either the small gas nozzle or the high flow big rig nozzle. They only take the passenger car diesel nozzle.

Car
    2006 VW Jetta TDi

Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    Good tip on the dispenser, I need to track that down. The shot glass and funnel I used are not going to cut it on a "regular" basis.
    Just be warned, this does not work (at least not in my VW, a truck is likely easier to put additive in):

This does work:

Or use option one with a screw on adapter:

or a sealable funnel:

Car
    72 911T, '12 Jetta, Tahoe

I was going to bitch that you guys are ridiculous but then I realized that all the diesels I've driven are old school, and just have a huge hole to dump stuff in.

Car
    mk4 TDI, TDI Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    I'll be driving it 3-4 days a week I think, will not be in the garage. No heater either. I'll have to see about getting something going as far as that goes. I swear the PO had one of those coolant based heaters around or something.
    I highly recommend a frostheater given your description of use.

I've been driving my TDI for almost 10years and 200k miles. Never put a drop of additive in it and never had a gelling issue.

Car
    Changes more than Scotty

OK, so I probably am being paranoid, but the temp WILL drop to lows in the 20's next week and I am about to fill up the wagon. Do I have to worry about gelling or will I be good to go with whatever comes out of the pump at our Holiday?

Again, new to diesel and don't want to mess up ours... Wait, what is the worst that can happen? Does a gelling fuel just prevent the engine from starting in cold temps or are more major implications possible?
    2009 Honda Fit Sport Manual, 71k
    1999 Toyota Land Cruiser of WOW, 241k
    No Euro.

Car
    JSW TDI 6MT & 2 Suburbans

Winter blend diesel is already in gas station's tanks. Pick up a white bottle of the Power Service diesel additive if you're worried about it (about $14 for a big bottle at Fleet Farm). Also, it needs to be MUCH colder than this to gel.
    Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Car
    My Saab

Quote Originally Posted by natehack5 View Post
    OK, so I probably am being paranoid, but the temp WILL drop to lows in the 20's next week and I am about to fill up the wagon. Do I have to worry about gelling or will I be good to go with whatever comes out of the pump at our Holiday?

Again, new to diesel and don't want to mess up ours... Wait, what is the worst that can happen? Does a gelling fuel just prevent the engine from starting in cold temps or are more major implications possible?
    Unless you are going to fill it right now then let it sit for 3 months I wouldn't worry.

The gas stations are always ahead of the cold curve - especially if you buy from any larger/name brand station that goes through it's diesel regularly.