Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Car
    Changes more than Scotty

Default Exit 4Runner, enter 2010 Sportwagen TDI!!

Yup, we did it. As totally and completely awesome as the 4Runner is and was, we were sick of filling it with the recommended premium fuel at 18-23mpg. The space was great, the ride was good, the bulletproofness was amazing.

However, mine eyes have been on a wagon the last year to replace the fuel gulping Runner. We have had some wagons; 00 Avant, 04 Passat, 07 WRX, but I kept on coming back to the ridiculous mileage of the TDI Sportwagen. Diesel because of the mileage and the torque. Since this would be the main family car, I usually drive like an old man with the girls in the car anyway, diesel would be perfect for puttering around in the sloooow lane...

I thought we NEEDED a manual, but I found a very nice 2010 with 1 owner dealer perfect history, DSG, 44k miles, no options save for the uplevel stereo (need to confirm), all season mats, and the right color. Worked with Luther Honda in STC and they gave us much more than expected for the 4Runner and a good deal on the Sportwagen. We were sold.

Photographers cringe when they see my pics:

Great lighting on this one eh?

If you judge the cleanliness of our car, keep it to yourself. Our girls are creative and intelligent

I do have some questions regarding the diesel:
    - What are your go-to sites and forums?
    - I would like a tune, next spring, to liven up the car a bit; would my mpg suffer? Malone says I would need a DSG tune, but APR does says not. Who is right?
    - We are super new to the diesel world... do I need to think about what to put into the tank during the winter as far as fuel goes? I hear about No.1 and No.2, or since we are in a cold clime, do stations do the mixing/switching?
    - How much would my mileage suffer with bigger wheels and a larger tire contact patch? My fatherinlaw just bought himself a new Camry and it has bigger wheels than the SportWagen... Just curious, we are pleased with the ride of the 16's.

Mods we would like to do are a tune maybe in the next year to jazz up the response a bit, install a hitch for our bike rack (coming), get longer bars for our roof rack, and get a giant cargo box for the roof or another smallish one.

Thanks for the answers and I will periodically update the thread with real world mileage info and other things as they happen.
    Last edited by natehack5; 08-20-2014 at 09:23 AM.
    2009 Honda Fit Sport Manual, 71k
    1999 Toyota Land Cruiser of WOW, 241k
    No Euro.

Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, 74 Scout II

tdiclub.com > all tdi sites

Your mileage will stay the same or increase with a tune. We have a Malone tuner in the cities, JFettig (not on here much any more) and he really knows his stuff. I would suggest also doing the DSG tune, it does make a difference.

If youre buying diesel at a popular station you will have no worries about the fuel now or winter. I look for places that have a lot of fleet trucks buying fuel, that way I know they are going through the fuel regularly and truckers trust it. You will find variations in your fuel mileage depending on station, maybe 1-3mpg difference. I have the best luck with FleetFarm and any SA that runs "arctic diesel" and have the worst mileage with Holiday fuel. I do buy more Holiday than anything else as the one close to me sees a huge amount of diesel traffic.

As for additives its kind of up to you. Diesel911/Power service is what I use in the winter as a precaution and as protection against lower quality fuel blends. You are safe buying just straight diesel in the winter, no station in MN will go wrong with their blend, they cant afford it.

heavy wheels and wide tires will hurt mileage. Probably not as much as a cargo box, however.
    Last edited by sprstu; 07-21-2014 at 02:10 PM. Reason: I learned something today. I thought dogs laid eggs.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car

When you do get a tune ask about the Dpf and egr cycle delete. they are both emissions based and the deletion from the ecu does no harm to the car.

A very good resource for general diesel info is myturbodiesel.com
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    JSW TDI 6MT & 2 Suburbans

I get the opposite experience from Stu. I get good mileage with Holiday diesel and terrible with SA diesel.

If you can't confirm that the fuel filter has been replaced recently, I'd get that done by someone that knows TDI's or DIY. The average shop will just put a dry filter in there and put everything back together. Not a good idea.

TDI Club seems to be the best forum out there.

I use the Power Service white bottle in the winter with every fill up. You can get it at Fleet Farm and a billion other places. Buy a gallon and it'll last a long time.

I would just stick with the 16" wheels if you're after MPG's. If you don't mind losing a few, turn your 16" wheels into a winter wheel setup and buy 17" or 18" wheels over the winter to throw on in the Spring.
    Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Car
    T-IDI - M-TDI - TDI

Quote Originally Posted by sprstu View Post
    heavy wheels and wide tires will hurt mileage. Probably not as much as a cargo box, however. I know Chad (Rhetoric) went down to a 215 width from a 225 and saw no significant difference in mileage.
    Actually, I did see a slight increase when compared to the 225 size. When I was running 225/45/17's I could barely average 44 mpg on trips to Milwaukee if I really, really tried. Now that I'm running 215/50/17 I have regularly been averaging 49 mpg on trips to Milwaukee and back; cruise set at 70 with the A/C on. Even adding 500 lbs of cargo my mileage was unchanged. City mileage is definitely worse with the larger wheels due to more rotating mass, but that's the trade-off.

To answer your questions and echo what has already been said:

-TDIClub or myturbodiesel.com are THE sites to use.
    -Malone. Hands down.
    -Winter: Power Service white bottle --- Summer: Power Service silver bottle ----Keep a bottle of Diesel911 in the car (and a spare fuel filter) in case you ever gel up. Always use #2 diesel. There is no need to blend with #1 as 98% of stations are using fuel that is either full of winter additives or has been pre-blended. Number 1 diesel is essentially Kerosene, or, diesel without any lubrication properties (bad for fuel system).
    -Stick with the 16s. I have read over and over that 16s are a great trade off between size / economy, so stick with those and run some LRR tires to help keep mileage up.

Car
    mk4 TDI, TDI Ranger

Excellent advice so far. Tdiclub for support. Buy your fuel in good locations (no farm fuel barrels or small mom and pop gas stations that rarely sell diesel) and you won't have to worry about additives. Kwik trip or feet farm is the best locations in my experience for fuel.

Car
    Changes more than Scotty

Thanks for the words all for this diesel nooooob...

I think we are okay with the 16's. The car came with some half gone LRR tires on there so the mileage is about as good as can be I guess. Really I am planning on pics, but we are old fashioned and have to download from a camera to the PC and photobucket and blahblahblah. You will have to wait.

I have looked at, because I am a nerd, the DPF delete and the EGR stuff and yadda yadda, but I do not think spending 2k for the pipe, ecu flash, and DSG flash would be prudent at this time. I would guess I would see a little more efficiency with a Stg2 Malone tune coupled with DSG tune even with the DPF still installed? But the tunes would be in the spring anyway (or if there is a hot sale with low low prices); just going to enjoy the 40's and 'that'll do' torque for the time being.

Those that use additives; do you use them at every fill up? My inclination would be a higher traffic fuel stop would see more diesel turnover, eliminating the need for additives every fill up. Then again, I am still new and do not know.

Speaking of not knowing, can I pull up alongside 18 wheelers under the huge awnings with my VW to fill up or do I have to use the car diesel area? Would be more memorable if I could pretend I was an OTR trucker...
    No Euro.

Car
    JSW TDI 6MT & 2 Suburbans

Buy one of these so you can use both the car pump nozzles and the big rig ones. It also makes it easier to put in your additives.

http://www.amazon.com/TDI-Diesel-Fue.../dp/B00696Y74O

I stopped at a station on a roadtrip last year that only had the big rig nozzles and was glad I had bought it.
    Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Car

The issue is the bigrig side has a larger physical nozzle on the handle to allow for a much, much higher flow rate. I know the MK4 could take the larger size but the newer cars have an issue with it. Side note, many of the truck stops on interstates do not allow you to fuel from the trucker side without going in a paying first or dropping off a CC in the store. The machines dont usually have the CC payment ont he front due to most bills be multiple hundred dollars and many systems kick out payments after ~$75. couple that with the station leaving the handles turned off until someone needs to use the pump to help prevent theft.
    When I was an OTR driver the first few times I fueled up I was wildly impressed with how fast they were, like 100gals in 2-3 minutes fast. My MK4 tank was filled in seconds with the high flow pumps at a paltry 16gals.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

I HATE gas stations that make you go inside and pay first. I will run out of gas trying to find one where I can pay at the pump, first.

Car
    BMW X1

Quote Originally Posted by toasted View Post
    I HATE gas stations that make you go inside and pay first. I will run out of gas trying to find one where I can pay at the pump, first.
    x5billlion
    “We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

Car

you must not buy fuel in N.minneapolis much....
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    Changes more than Scotty

Quote Originally Posted by mimalmo View Post
    Buy one of these so you can use both the car pump nozzles and the big rig ones. It also makes it easier to put in your additives.

http://www.amazon.com/TDI-Diesel-Fue.../dp/B00696Y74O

I stopped at a station on a roadtrip last year that only had the big rig nozzles and was glad I had bought it.
    This looks like something that would be nice 'just to have around in case'. Price is not crazy, not that it should be anyway for a piece of plastic funnel. Thanks for the heads up.

The issue is the bigrig side has a larger physical nozzle on the handle to allow for a much, much higher flow rate. I know the MK4 could take the larger size but the newer cars have an issue with it. Side note, many of the truck stops on interstates do not allow you to fuel from the trucker side without going in a paying first or dropping off a CC in the store. The machines dont usually have the CC payment ont he front due to most bills be multiple hundred dollars and many systems kick out payments after ~$75. couple that with the station leaving the handles turned off until someone needs to use the pump to help prevent theft.
    When I was an OTR driver the first few times I fueled up I was wildly impressed with how fast they were, like 100gals in 2-3 minutes fast. My MK4 tank was filled in seconds with the high flow pumps at a paltry 16gals.
    Not really in reply to your response, but can I assume diesel on the auto side would come from the same tank(s) as the truck side?? As you all can tell, not that in tune with fuel station design.

Still no pics as we are pretty busy getting me ready to head west for my yearly pilgrimage. Taking the Focus and letting my girls have all the fun with the new car.
    No Euro.

Car

I dont think a station would go to the trouble of stocking 2 tanks for their system, assuming they have a "truck" and "auto" side.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    mk4 TDI, TDI Ranger

I fueled up I was wildly impressed with how fast they were, like 100gals in 2-3 minutes fast. My MK4 tank was filled in seconds with the high flow pumps at a paltry 16gals.
    I don't really care for the higher flow pumps - makes it hard to fill to the brim since it foams so badly. Shooting for a 900 mile tank and I need every last drop to get there.