Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Car
    911, H3T, RS4, MG Midget

Default Why doesn't this exist?! 4WD, Manual, Diesel SUV/small truck

So I've been starting to look around for what my next vehicle purchase will be once I sell the R32. Between having bought a house in the last year, and my wife getting the next "fun car", I decided something a bit more practical/utility-minded should be in the cards. This would be my daily driver, so I want something comfy, with decent gas milage (the R32 only gets 20mpg, so anything above that would be nice), and has the ability to hold or tow cargo. So here's my wish list: 4WD, Manual Trans, Diesel, for under 20 grand. However, the ONLY thing I've found that meets that description are big full size trucks. I don't need/want a huge F350. So what are my options?

Car
    2006 VW Jetta TDi

chicken tax has a little to do with it i would imagine.

Car
    911, H3T, RS4, MG Midget

That might explain why none of these vehicles are imported, but why haven't the big three produce anything?

Car
    911, H3T, RS4, MG Midget

Basically I want an older (cheaper) version of this with a 4BT

Car
    My Saab

Quote Originally Posted by R32Jake View Post
    That might explain why none of these vehicles are imported, but why haven't the big three produce anything?
    Because nobody bought them?

Not saying this is the best example, but... http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take-road-test

You can get a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Touareg in diesel. Of course they are not cheap. Mercedes makes a REALLY great small SUV (GLK250) in diesel that looks like the bees knees but it's pricey (almost $40k BASE - 33mpg though, 369ft*lbs of torque).

Big problem was in 2007/2008 the emissions standards changed, so engines had to be redone. Expensive to launch a vehicle if you didn't already have an engine platform to base it on. Looks like we are starting to see them now in 2015 and beyond.

Car
    06 MSRT8, 06 JGC

I would loved a JGC with a CRD in it. There are a few that pop up on CL and jeep forums, but their used price is asinine.
    "...Camouflage is indeed my favorite color..." - Travis

Car
    911, H3T, RS4, MG Midget

Just realized you guys are basically having the same conversation over here:
    http://eurowerks.org/showthread.php?t=44213

Car
    B5A4tqma

OP, look for a Jeep Compass... i think they made diesel ones for a couple years.

EDIT: may have been a Liberty or a Patriot or something

EDIT 2: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/se...esel%20liberty

4WD, check
    Manual, not sure
    Diesel SUV/small truck , yep

and also, yeah, get a Tuoerirag v10 turbro sootmobile! neat car.

EDIT 3:
    "Jeep discontinued the Liberty CRD for the American market because it couldn't meet tougher 2007 emissions standards for diesel engines."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Liberty
    "In 2005, DaimlerChrysler began offering a diesel engine to the North American market to gauge the marketability of diesel engines in North America. The last North American market Jeep product that was offered with a diesel engine was the 1987 Jeep Cherokee and Comanche. Only available for 2005 and 2006 in Sport and Limited trims, the 2.8L VM Motori R 428 I4 common rail turbodiesel or CRD exceeded expectations by selling 10,000 examples in its first calendar year of production. The diesel utilized a variable geometry turbocharger and generated 160 horsepower (120 kW) and 295 lbft (400 Nm) of torque. Offering 60 more foot lbs of torque than the comparable V6 gasoline engine and offered higher fuel efficiency;[5] but it added nearly 200 pounds (91 kg) to the curb weight, a price increase, and offered less peak horsepower. The CRD was prohibited from being sold in Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, New York, and California due to their higher emission standards and was discontinued for 2007 due to stricter federal emission standards in the United States. The next year Jeep offered the Jeep Grand Cherokee with a diesel engine option; which was 50-state emission legal."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Liberty_(28KJ)
    Last edited by JPB; 03-12-2014 at 05:55 PM.

Car
    B5A4tqma

So I read a little more, and there IS a contemporary Jeep Compass with a VW 2.0 PD turbo diesel. They manufacture them in the Belevedere plant in Illinois.

All of them are shipped to other countries for sale.

According to the Jeep site, the Jeep Cherokee is available with an "ecodiesel" engine. Probably no MT available though.

Car
    BMW X1

Mmmmmm Mr. Belevedere
    We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. Charles Kingsley

Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, 74 Scout II

Preaching to the Choir.

What about a Jetta Sportwagon TDI? seems to meet your list minus the 4wd part and unless you live in a rural area 4wd is really just a luxury.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    B5.5 Passat Wagon 1.8t

I feel like finding a MT will be tough.

Also why not get an older F250 with the 7.3 powerstroke? Or even a 2500 duramax.
    I love our F350 with the 7.3. My Girlfriends dad daily drives a Silverado with the duramax and get over 20 mpg. You can get 20+ easily, have more than enough room and actually be able haul/tow something.

Car
    71 Fastback

Quote Originally Posted by R32Jake View Post
    So I've been starting to look around for what my next vehicle purchase will be once I sell the R32. Between having bought a house in the last year, and my wife getting the next "fun car", I decided something a bit more practical/utility-minded should be in the cards. This would be my daily driver, so I want something comfy, with decent gas milage (the R32 only gets 20mpg, so anything above that would be nice), and has the ability to hold or tow cargo. So here's my wish list: 4WD, Manual Trans, Diesel, for under 20 grand. However, the ONLY thing I've found that meets that description are big full size trucks. I don't need/want a huge F350. So what are my options?
    they do...in Europe

Car
    JSW TDI 6MT & 2 Suburbans

Take an XJ Cherokee and a Cummins 4BT from a bread truck and you can have your dream vehicle for cheap if you do all the labor.
    Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Car
    S55, 330i, R53, JKU

The new Jeep Renegade is close to what you are after. More than 20K though. Not sure about manual either.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    listen to you old hags fussing over burrito prices. why don't you swing your purses at each other.