Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Car
    911, H3T, RS4, MG Midget

Quote Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
    Hey Jake!

If you're looking at Touareg's take a look here, clubtouareg.com, for what to look for. I have one and LOVE it (albeit a V6 gas)!
    Hey! How've you been? Yeah, I was just browsing over on clubtouareg. What year do you have?

Car
    911, H3T, RS4, MG Midget

Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    Yeah, I have a friend with one. It's sweet. But he's certainly put quite a bit of sweat equity and money into operating it. Drive shafts. Waste gates. Etc. Etc.
    Yeah, they definitely sound scary. How many miles did he have on his before major components needed to be replaced? Are waste gates an engine-out ordeal?

Car
    B5.5 Passat Wagon 1.8t

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Because cost isn't the only concern? Most people couldn't even PARK a F250/350 in their garage. They are a pain in the dick to daily drive.

Since he is concerned about mileage - buying a small SUV (which he is looking for) with a gas engine, would be cheaper per mile to drive than a 3/4-ton truck with a diesel. Nevermind the maintenance costs are quite high on a HD truck vs. small SUV.
    I never minded daily driving a full size truck. The only place I can see it being a hassle is if you are driving/parking in Minneapolis/St. Paul a lot.
    I cant comment much on the maintenance costs, we are able to do most of the work to our trucks ourselves. Our diesel has been pretty bulletproof and gets worked hard. And OP said he wanted more than 20 mpg which can be easily attained with those trucks.

If I were OP i would go with the full sized truck. But thats just my Opinion.

But (I've said this before) there needs to be a Diesel F150, it would trump everything else.

Car
    My Saab

Quote Originally Posted by baywindowmagic View Post
    I never minded daily driving a full size truck. The only place I can see it being a hassle is if you are driving/parking in Minneapolis/St. Paul a lot.
    I cant comment much on the maintenance costs, we are able to do most of the work to our trucks ourselves. Our diesel has been pretty bulletproof and gets worked hard. And OP said he wanted more than 20 mpg which can be easily attained with those trucks.

If I were OP i would go with the full sized truck. But thats just my Opinion.

But (I've said this before) there needs to be a Diesel F150, it would trump everything else.
    I'm on day 4 of having to drive a 1-ton (waiting on parts to fix my car) and I want to kill myself. Compared to a small car it sucks, not even counting the MPG. (This is obviously personal opinion). Rough ride, annoying to turn, annoying to move around in traffic on the highway, doesn't speed up or slow down well, etc

Some fun maintenance facts:
    5,000 mile, 15qt oil changes. $35 filter at the dealer (~$20 online)
    10,000 mile fuel filters, $80+ at the dealer ($45 online)
    30,000 mile, 17qt transmission flushes with (you guessed it) pricey filters
    Load range E tires - the cheapest I could find for mine on tirerack was $200 per tire, and only went up from there
    2 batteries - if one goes, you get to buy 2! Don't forget they are larger than average batteries to start with, so are $150+ ea

20mpg HIGHWAY can be [somewhat] easily attained with these trucks, but if you are driving it in the city you have a snowballs chance in hell at breaking 17.
    Last edited by Champ; 03-13-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Car
    2013 Touareg

Quote Originally Posted by R32Jake View Post
    Hey! How've you been? Yeah, I was just browsing over on clubtouareg. What year do you have?
    I have a 2013
    2013 Touareg

Car
    JSW TDI 6MT & 2 Suburbans

Quote Originally Posted by Kriesel View Post
    I think the 4BT would be a tough swap in the XJ... I'm having problems with a smaller 4AT cummins engine (2.3L 4AT vs. 3.9L 4BT). But yeah, a 4-cylinder (or 5 cylinder benz) diesel in an XJ is sweet!

After my second Jeep diesel is finished this spring, the next swap is my duramax suburban swap...

I'll just leave this link here:
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63

Here's a website to drool over.
    http://www.bruiserconversions.com/je...el-conversion/

Let me know if you want to tackle 2 Duramax Suburban swaps. LOL. Still on my wish list.
    Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Car
    Touareg. XC70. F430.

Yeah, they definitely sound scary. How many miles did he have on his before major components needed to be replaced? Are waste gates an engine-out ordeal?
    Drive shafts/yoke happened at 65k miles. Typically a replacement item by 80k mi. Wastegates can be replaced/repaired in vehicle.

Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, 74 Scout II

Buying the V10 is just like buying any other $80K-100K car for $15K, youre buying on the cheap NOW and will pay for it later. The V10 is a fucking monster, i mean really and truly one of the most amazing engines ever to be sold in a passenger car in the world. One of my friends uses a V10 to pull horses and take on trips, they average 24mpg empty and about 16mpg while pulling.

In all honesty you would be better off paying $25K for a 5 year newer V6 TDI Touareg with half the miles. Still all the pulling power you could ever want and net mid to high 20's for mpg.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    My Saab

Quote Originally Posted by sprstu View Post
    No doubts that V10 sounds sweet in your video, but without a hitch isn't it totally missing the point? Why wouldn't you just buy a Jeep SRT8 or something if you wanted to hot rod a SUV?

Car
    2006 VW Jetta TDi

Quote Originally Posted by mimalmo View Post
    Here's a website to drool over.
    http://www.bruiserconversions.com/je...el-conversion/

Let me know if you want to tackle 2 Duramax Suburban swaps. LOL. Still on my wish list.
    Yeah, I talked to them out in Utah a couple years ago during easter jeep safari.

Eventually I'll do an HPA swap with a tdi into a two-door JK....

Car
    911, H3T, RS4, MG Midget

Hey Kriesel, what kind of mileage are you getting with that 4AT in the XJ? How would that compare to the more common 4BT? Wanna sell it? In all seriousness though, do any of these swaps ever come up for sale?

Car
    911, H3T, RS4, MG Midget

In other news, just saw the new diesel Grand Cherokee at the auto show. Definitely nice, but pretty crazy at nearly 50k with what I'd be looking for...

Car
    E39 & E91

Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    Wastegates can be replaced/repaired in vehicle.
    Mike's issue was just the wastegate actuator arm falling off the actuator. VW couldn't even diagnose the problem, we had to do it for them, and then they didn't trust us because we got the information from los internets! Even once they figure it out they said it was a huge pain in the ass to actually reach up and install a new clip or piece of wire, or bubble gum or whatever because there was only enough room for one arm.

I bet the V6 TDI in the Touareg would be a better choice from a maintenance standpoint, but all of the other electronic and luxury goodies are still susceptible to issues. They are still nice, comfortable cars, and the V10 TDI sure makes a hell of a sweet noise, and happens to tow surprisingly well. I'd like to *have* one, but I certainly wouldn't want to *own* one!

Car
    2006 VW Jetta TDi

Hey Kriesel, what kind of mileage are you getting with that 4AT in the XJ? How would that compare to the more common 4BT? Wanna sell it? In all seriousness though, do any of these swaps ever come up for sale?
    I had the 4AT in a wrangler before this swap in the XJ, and was getting about 25mpg average. I expect this to be between 20-25mpg average, with the added weight, but potentially better aero than the YJ...

With a 4AT, I would think it would be less than or around 20mpg average, but I don't know for sure.

Swaps like this come up for sale now and then. I do plan on selling mine, maybe not immediately after it's finished, but within a year of that (so maybe next winter or next summer 2015). I want to finish the swap, drive it around for a while and be sure it's all good, have my fun in it, maybe bring it to Moab to wheel it once, then sell it probably. Have other projects following this one that I'm more stoked about haha

Car
    911, H3T, RS4, MG Midget

Quote Originally Posted by Kriesel View Post
    I had the 4AT in a wrangler before this swap in the XJ, and was getting about 25mpg average. I expect this to be between 20-25mpg average, with the added weight, but potentially better aero than the YJ...

With a 4AT, I would think it would be less than or around 20mpg average, but I don't know for sure.

Swaps like this come up for sale now and then. I do plan on selling mine, maybe not immediately after it's finished, but within a year of that (so maybe next winter or next summer 2015). I want to finish the swap, drive it around for a while and be sure it's all good, have my fun in it, maybe bring it to Moab to wheel it once, then sell it probably. Have other projects following this one that I'm more stoked about haha
    Keep me in mind when you do look to sell. I'm now planning on hanging onto the R32 at least through the summer.