Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Car
    Touareg. XC70. F430.

MT just named the Colorado Truck of the Year. Beating the alum F150. That's quite a feat. The biggest bummer for the F150 is that they really didn't up the efficiency enough to justify it.

I'm very curious to see what comes of the next gen Tacoma -- will be show at the NAIAS.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

Speaking of the F150.....

When I was in the dealership buying my new Focus, there was a bank of cubicles that seemed to be the F150 section. There were 6 sales people constantly seeing people bout buying a new F150. Overhearing these people talk, all they were doing was comparing numbers to equivalent Chevy and Dodge models. There was no discussion of features, options, creature comforts. All they talked about was HP, torque, and mileage.

It's sad really. From what I heard, you could put shit for features in these truck and the general public will buy the one with the most HP.

My information is completely based on about a dozen guys wearing orange in a dealership though.

Car
    BMW X1

Quote Originally Posted by toasted View Post
    There was no discussion of features, options, creature comforts. All they talked about was HP, torque, and mileage.

It's sad really. From what I heard, you could put shit for features in these truck and the general public will buy the one with the most HP..
    Gasp! It's almost as if people are buying a truck... for truck purposes.
    “We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

Car
    Touareg. XC70. F430.

I think that's because that's really all they can go to battle over. All three of the trucks are pretty much the same.

It comes down to numbers, who has the most power? Who has the most efficiency? Who can carry the most?

Then what really settles it, who has the best "TRUCK MONTH" offer. Meaning, will you accept second best since it's $9,000 off or do you want first place at only $6,500 off?

Truck sales are weird.

Car
    My Saab

Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    Truck sales are weird.
    Shoot I get more people criticizing my choice in pick up vs. my choice in Saab. Never thought I'd see that day!

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

You are probably right.

When I was buying I was concerned with features, and tech. I was also kinda concerned with mileage. Then to hear the Ford truck sales staff talk about 10 hp to get a sale, it seemed odd.

Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, 74 Scout II

It is a bit crazy considering where trucks were 10-15 years ago compared to today. Think about how insane the new trucks were once Dodge switched to the "big truck" front end in 96 and how fucking lame the F150 was until the early 2000s. Not only that but IF those trucks get better than 13mpg it was a miracle and still didnt really pull all that much. Now you can buy any truck off the dealer lot and get 20mpg, tow 10K lbs safely and have something more luxurious than a Lexus of 5-7 years ago.

Im still not about to spend $40K on a truck...
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    72 911T, '12 Jetta, Tahoe

I cant get over the cost of a new truck. its bananas.

Car
    BMW 228i, VW Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by sprstu View Post
    It is a bit crazy considering where trucks were 10-15 years ago compared to today. Think about how insane the new trucks were once Dodge switched to the "big truck" front end in 96 and how fucking lame the F150 was until the early 2000s. Not only that but IF those trucks get better than 13mpg it was a miracle and still didnt really pull all that much. Now you can buy any truck off the dealer lot and get 20mpg, tow 10K lbs safely and have something more luxurious than a Lexus of 5-7 years ago.

Im still not about to spend $40K on a truck...
    Are you kidding re: pre-early 2000s F150s being lame? I'd totally rock a 1996 F150 Regular Cab long bed 4x4 with the straight six.

But yes, new trucks are insanely expensive. And if they were cheaper, Ford, Chrysler, and GM would probably be out of business.

Car
    '12 Tiguan, '30 Chevy

6th gen (1973-1979) Best Ford truck ever.

Car
    E39 & E91

Quote Originally Posted by MisdemeanorMatt View Post
    Gasp! It's almost as if people are buying a truck... for truck purposes.
    You certainly don't need '10 more hp' or anything like that for truck purposes. Bragging rights are what you need that extra HP for. Most people won't haul or two anything heavier than a snowmobile or small boat. Stuff you could easily do with a 1996 F150 regular cab long bed 4x4 with a straight six.

People have been doing much more epic truck stuff for years with trucks that have half the HP and features than current trucks.

Car
    BMW X1

But at the end of the day, its not the sally options that sell trucks to the working class. Numbers matter when the rest is just fluff.
    “We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

Car
    Touareg. XC70. F430.

Quote Originally Posted by MisdemeanorMatt View Post
    But at the end of the day, its not the sally options that sell trucks to the working class. Numbers matter when the rest is just fluff.
    I don't know man. I know some working ass/blue collar guys who own King Ranch/Platinum/Longhorn/Z71s.

Car
    BMW X1

Yeah well it happens.

Car
    '03 S10 ZR2,'14 Jetta 5M

Quote Originally Posted by TTaM View Post
    Are you kidding re: pre-early 2000s F150s being lame?
    Yes Matt, those Fords were so lame looking. Back to the diesel talk, while I am happy to see more diesel coming on to the market, I have to say that I am not overly excited due to all of the emissions stuff. I am simple, and I like simple things, having to tune around all those dpf's and piss pumps doesn't excite me. I like my alh i guess, that doesn't even have O2 sensors, lol.