Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Car
    01 Golf TDI

Default Good TDI Shops Locally? Aftermarket TDI Shops Locally?

I am looking at buying an 01 Golf TDI, it has an unknown issue though. Under light throttle pressure it has a miss/stutter. On the highway under 70mph it likes to kind of buck and chug unless you apply throttle and not coast. The previous owner bought it from a VW tech who said it just needed injectors...so he put good bigger injectors in and it still has the same issue. It's kind of weird because it's only under light throttle and trying to maintain a set speed...if you apply over 1/4 throttle it drives just fine and has good power.

Anyway, does anyone know of any good local VW shops?

Also, it is an Auto. I would like to convert it to a manual (preferably a 6 speed). I also want to do some mods to it...such as intake, exhaust, tune, and possibly bigger turbo. I do not remember what size injectors they are but he said they are pretty decent sized and a good brand (he has all the invoices...think they were Kerma or something). I would also like to find a shop that could do this work. I have a line on bigger mods such as aftermarket head, cam, rods, ect so I might be interested in them building a complete motor as well...not sure yet but the first step is finding a shop to do the work.

I know that Further Performance does a lot of VW aftermarket work. Do they deal much with TDI/diesels? Also I heard of a shop called "The VW Man" in Minneapolis. He said he deals with a fair number of TDI's but I don't know how much aftermarket work he does. Anyone know anything about this shop?

Who do you all recommend?

Thanks for the help,
    Eric
    651-707-6584

Car
    337, Scirocco, GT, Ranger

I'm pretty sure SCI Performance still does free PPIs for VW/Audi cars. I would trust Further and SCI with any of my cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    Now is where I politely tell you to go fuck yourself.

Car
    '03 S10 ZR2,'14 Jetta 5M

Quote Originally Posted by Git Er Dun View Post
    Anyway, does anyone know of any good local VW shops?

Also, it is an Auto. I would like to convert it to a manual (preferably a 6 speed). I also want to do some mods to it...such as intake, exhaust, tune, and possibly bigger turbo. I would also like to find a shop that could do this work. I have a line on bigger mods such as aftermarket head, cam, rods, ect so I might be interested in them building a complete motor as well...not sure yet but the first step is finding a shop to do the work.
    To directly answer your shop question: Either SCI or Further could probably handle the work you are looking to have done. I would lean towards SCI only because the owner drives a TDI himself and I know other TDI people who have brought their cars there and SCI has worked on them. Not saying Further can't do it, I just don't have any experience with them.

If you are open to farming out the work to a "non shop" but rather to a trusted garage mechanic (the route I would go honestly) there are two people who can do the work you are looking for. JFettig and Greengeeker are local and very capable of performing the work.

Side note, TDI power is expensive. The work you are talking about will far exceed the value of the car when you are all done. Just be aware that paying some one to do a manual swap, build a motor, and install performance parts (including computer tuning) will be expensive. Most of us (the TDI community as a whole really) do it our selves because it is our vice of choice/labor of love. We do it because we plan to keep the cars forever, so dumping thousands into it, isn't out of line as we are not looking to get a monetary return.

Read a ton, get to know a few people and enjoy which ever TDI you end up with!

Car
    '85 Porsche 928S

Nick did some work on my Dad's stage 3 TDI. I would also recommend chatting with Jfettig as he can also get you set up with a Malone tune. Most of the work on the 1.9 is actually quite easy for what you want to do. I have basically turned almost every bolt on my Dad's jetta, and it is all quite simple. Lots of power and tons of torque to be made. Oh yeah, and you still get over 50mpgs with your foot out of it!
    Quote Originally Posted by JTapper View Post
    It's all good as long as the balls don't touch.

Car
    72 911T, '12 Jetta, Tahoe

It's nice going to a shop that can 100% stand by their work, and deal with warranty parts etc etc etc.... -vs- garage guy.

Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, 74 Scout II

Did you get any history with the car? Timing belt done recently by someone who knows whats up? Even basic work can be screwed by by a "VW Tech", most TDI people avoid the dealership like the plague or have horror stories if they didnt. Wrong oil, poorly timed engines, extra service that was totally unnecessary and general lack of knowledge from staff and techs.
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    My Saab

Quote Originally Posted by sprstu View Post
    Did you get any history with the car? Timing belt done recently by someone who knows whats up? Even basic work can be screwed by by a "VW Tech", most TDI people avoid the dealership like the plague or have horror stories if they didnt. Wrong oil, poorly timed engines, extra service that was totally unnecessary and general lack of knowledge from staff and techs.
    We've had good experience with our 2010 Tdi, it's been taken to Burnsville VW since birth and is around 115,000 miles. We have the timing belt and DSG service coming up at 120,000 though which is going to be a kick in the nuts. Are you recommending not to go there? SCI a better option?

Car
    04 jetta wagon, 12 Golf T

I can do you DSG service cheap. I am doing my wifes here soon. No $600 job at my place lol
    you're looking up used handguns at school? welcomed to the flagged student list
    Your cock blocking like half the people on eurowerks with that statement.

Car
    My Saab

Quote Originally Posted by veedubmechanic View Post
    I can do you DSG service cheap. I am doing my wifes here soon. No $600 job at my place lol
    What do you charge? VW Burnsville was just over $300 last time we had it done.

Car
    mk4 TDI, TDI Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    We have the timing belt and DSG service coming up at 120,000 though which is going to be a kick in the nuts.
    Let me know if you need help with either one of these items.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=342197

Car
    Jessica, Michelle , Gert

Quote Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post

he did the timing belt on wife's mk4. awesome dude.
    Dustin-me, Gert- 77 f250, Michelle- ​URs6 Avant, Jessica-caddy

Quote Originally Posted by McAdam View Post
    There is probably more hot air coming out of your mouth than that engine.

Car
    T-IDI - M-TDI - TDI

Quote Originally Posted by igotacaddy View Post
    he did the timing belt on wife's mk4. awesome dude.
    x2. Nick is top notch.

Car
    mk4 TDI, TDI Ranger

Thanks guys.

Car
    B5 Passat aka "Old Blue"

Greengeeker where abouts are you located?

Car
    My Saab

Quote Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post

Sorry we missed you - we had this done at the dealer I think back in November or December.