Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Car
    E36 M3s, Isettas, Vixen

Lol, I wish. I would call the E30 and E36 dead even in capability. The E36 has slightly more HP, but the E30 is lighter, making them pretty much dead even.

In the last race at BIR we ran my E36 against TBR's E30. Our overall driver lineup was about equal to theirs, and we ended on the same lap, just behind them (in actual laps, not taking penalty laps into consideration).

BTW, I also built TBR's E30. (initial build, without testing & tuning)

My E36 had been run at RA previously so we had a chance to fine tune it. This was the first race for TBR's E30 and they said they needed more work to get it performing the way they wanted.

Nope. E36 NOT faster.
    Last edited by clovold; 09-09-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    I am now a perfectly safe penguin, and my colleague here is rapidly running out of limbs!

Car
    1988 BMW M6

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    4 laps at a 24 hour is nothing though, the e36 will easily make that up over a similar e30. Or do they give more laps for the 24 hour events?
    I think that the rule change is going to put the e30 and e36 a lot closer now actually. Other than the couple teams that are just damn amazing drivers (BAR, Butterman, Chump faces) the E36's that were not cheating their asses off, the e36 were not passing us often. There was that rocketship of an e36 at BIR, but at least one of their drivers could not take a turn to save his life. It seems as though the more novice teams (like us) have a hard time keeping the tail end of the e36 planted when driving hard. I had to do some evasive driving more than once at Road America while following an e36.

Car
    My Saab

TBR racing their e30 I assume (I have not looked) is slower than their e36?

Car
    1988 BMW M6

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    TBR racing their e30 I assume (I have not looked) is slower than their e36?
    I dont think so anyway. At BIR we took 3rd and was 1 lap down from 2nd, but 4 laps down from TBR in their e30!

Car
    E36 M3s, Isettas, Vixen

Guys, Since I built an E36 and an E30 that just ran head-to-head I know both cars. Same level of prep in both cars, both with good pit strategy and good drivers. A non-cheaty E36 is not faster than a non-cheaty E30. With the automatic penalty laps now put on the E36 the E30s will have a clear advantage. Why do you think TBR went to an E30 when they know E36s so well?

An E36 is a bit more forgiving, so a novice will have any easier time with it. The E30 pulls away from the E36 in a straight line.
    Last edited by clovold; 09-09-2013 at 11:25 AM.
    I am now a perfectly safe penguin, and my colleague here is rapidly running out of limbs!

Car
    1988 BMW M6

Quote Originally Posted by clovold View Post
    Guys, Since I built an E36 and an E30 that just ran head-to-head I know both cars. Same level of prep in both cars, both with good pit strategy and good drivers. A non-cheaty E36 is not faster than a non-cheaty E30. With the automatic penalty laps now put on the E36 the E30s will have a clear advantage. Why do you think TBR went to an E30 when they know E36s so well?

An E36 is a bit more forgiving, so a novice will have any easier time with it. The E30 pulls away from the E36 in a straight line.
    I was under the impression that thier old car, as good as it looked, was having chassis problems. Not sure if it was rusty or bent or something. Their new car looks REALLY nice. It is a $500 car with about $10,000 (specualting) in racing electronics gear inside of the cockpit. We are still running gauges from harbor freight!

I had always heard the opposite, in that the e30 was a lot easier to drive at the limit than the e36. I could be totally wrong being that I have never built or raced an e36.

Either way next season is going to be interesting. Our AIV was at $400, even though we ACTUALLY bought the car for $300. But even the $75 difference means the couple things we had, which was springs and motor mounts have to get taken off. Kind of sucks
    Means we are going to need to get our backyard engineering on to make the car handle like we want.
    But honestly it will be nice to see some other cars on the podium than all BMW. Always made me feel kind of guilty for running one.

Car
    My Saab

The E30 pulls away from the E36 in a straight line.
    I'm not doubting you - just note that in all the races I participated in, the e36 was turning faster lap times than the e30's.

TBR's e36 was darn fast in a straight line, which is coming from a guy on a team who had probably one of the faster stock straight line cars eligible for these races.

Maybe it's changed now that people are starting to get the e30's better sorted?

Car
    E36 M3s, Isettas, Vixen

So much of it comes down to the drivers. If the better drivers tend to run E36s, then you will see faster lap times in the E36s.

There are also a few E36 teams who seemed to be going beyond what is permitted. I won't name names, but I'm sure you know who I mean. There is one team who admitted on the forum to porting/polishing the head and doing 'everything possible' to the engine. There is also another team that seems to be running an M52 (328i) motor in their car, based on the intake manifold, etc.

Car
    1988 BMW M6

So much of it comes down to the drivers. If the better drivers tend to run E36s, then you will see faster lap times in the E36s.

There are also a few E36 teams who seemed to be going beyond what is permitted. I won't name names, but I'm sure you know who I mean. There is one team who admitted on the forum to porting/polishing the head and doing 'everything possible' to the engine. There is also another team that seems to be running an M52 (328i) motor in their car, based on the intake manifold, etc.
    That car was really fast (for a chumpcar).

Fast car + Novice driver =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyHMa...layer_embedded

Car
    95 VW GTI VR6

Even if the E30 is faster than the E36 and if they had the same AIV, I'd rather have the E36 because parts aren't as scarce and it doesn't have witchcraft fuel injection. Even if the E36 is faster (which I believe it to be), they won't be able to make the 4 penalty laps. The new rules have priced our GTI out of competition.....most likely we won't be running it next year. Our springs and swap penalty puts us over $500.

Car
    My Saab

Why not just put stock springs back on? Or is it the motor swap that gets you?

Car
    E36 M3s, Isettas, Vixen

yeah, it's the motor swap.