Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Car
    B5A4tqma

Default Where can i buy a nice suit? Tailor referrals?

I want to spend around $800-$1,000 on a nice suit.

Please refer me to the places that can get me as close as possible to looking like James Bond from the neck down.

Car
    B5A4tqma

inb4 Top Shelf, Tom's Tailor

... i want many options

Car
    MKV Jetta : 78 CB550

Next time I need a suit my plan is to hit up Nordstrom Rack and find something that "fits" off the rack but then tack it to a tailor to get it to "fit right".

Are you oddly sized/shaped?

Car
    914 & 9-2x

http://www.heimies.com/

Downtown St. Paul

Car
    B5A4tqma

OK, Heimie's is on the list. Anyone know about Hubert White in Minneapolis? They seem beyond my budget.

I haven't bought a suit in, what, 5-6 years?

1)
    Think I'll get this snazzy for around $1k ??

2)
    Think it's worth buying a suit online, then having it tailored locally?
    I want it to look like this, only black:

Car
    Terrible Mass Market BS

i'd get one of the rack and get it tailored. I bought a suit about a year for well only slightly less than what you budgeted and had it tailored. It fit fantastic at the time.

Car
    Jessica, Michelle , Gert

I bought 3 suits about 5 years ago. I got mine at Jos. A Bank. total was about $1200, included tailor. It was a buy 1 get 2 free sale. They aren't gucci suits, but they do look good...

My black one looks just like that blue one. except black of course.
    Dustin-me, Gert- 77 f250, Michelle- ​URs6 Avant, Jessica-caddy

Quote Originally Posted by McAdam View Post
    There is probably more hot air coming out of your mouth than that engine.

Car
    T-IDI - M-TDI - TDI

Quote Originally Posted by TJ914 View Post

Downtown St. Paul
    x2

I've had nothing but great experiences at Heimies.

Car
    MKV 2.5T

Saks off 5th has some decent suits. Buying online is nearly impossible as every brand fits differently. It's all about finding a brand that makes cuts that fit you. Tailoring is key unless you find one that fits off the shelf, which for me at least, never happens.

To get that james bond look, go one size smaller on the jacket so it doesn't cover your butt up, tailor it, get one with modern lap (notch), make sure the sleeves aren't too long, and slim fit pants.
    09 VW Rabbit 2.5T

Car
    Touareg. XC70. F430.

Yeah, I'd actually recommend starting at Saks off 5th. They carry Hickey Freeman, E. Zenga,etc. Most will be in the $700-900 range. And they have sales fairly regularly. I really like their house brand Saks Black.

I'm all ears for a good tailor. Still haven't found one that I like.

I went through the men's store at the downtown Macy's and they were having some ridiculous sales, I some how picked up a Hugo Boss Black Label for like $300 OTD.

If you're going to Saks, it might be worth looking at the higher end stuff at the Macy's downtown as well.

Car
    B5A4tqma

Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    Yeah, I'd actually recommend starting at Saks off 5th.
    If you're going to Saks, it might be worth looking at the higher end stuff at the Macy's downtown as well.
    ... yes, just read about this place earlier today, never knew about it (I don't require suits at work)
    Thanks, all, keep them coming.

Car
    Touareg. XC70. F430.

As others have said, look for a slim or modern suit. A 42 slim will fit like a Daniel Craig. A 42R will fit like you a box for smuggling pillows. A peak or thin notch lapel also helps slim a suit's look.

Do you have a particular reason for wanting to spend a $1k on a suit?

If you're like me an wear a suit less then 10x a year, I'd rather pay for a quality tailor then for a brand name.

You'd be surprised at some of the great cuts that you can get at one of the higher end Macy's (I mention the downtown store, because I know for a fact that they don't carry a lot of the brands at their "mall" locations):

DKNY
    Michael Kors
    Calvin Klein
    Hugo Boss

And these brands regularly go on sale to price points as low as $250. But stay away from Bar III. You'll really like the cut and the fit, but they are shitty. My pants fell apart after wearing them once.

Pro-tip, almost all the suits are on-sale for 50-60% this week -- but I stress again, don't go to the Ridgedale, you have to head to downtown MPLS.

Perfect example: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/c...BRAND%3DCalvin Klein%26SUIT_STYLE%3DSuit%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D14%26ru leId%3D66%26slotId%3D7

Car
    88 M3 | 11 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by TJ914 View Post

Downtown St. Paul
    It's been said already, but this place really does kick ass. I bought my wedding suit here and spent a good 3 hours looking through fabric swatches to find the right one. 3 fittings, great customer service, out the door for right around what you're hoping to spend.

Car
    F30 Alpine White 335ix

brooks bros is always a good choice and if they have a sale going on they are very reasonably priced. tailoring is free if you get a suit from them

+1 on the saks off 5th ave if you find something you like

I get a lot of my casual clothing from the Foursome as of recently and they have good suits with a very knowledgeable sales staff

edit: i really want to try out this Heimies place now
    current: '13 F30 335i Xdrive - stock for now

(sold): MK6 GTI APR, 35% Suntek Carbon, yellow fogs - '99 Passat

Car
    Bike

Heimes is great, and you can def find what you want. But, i guarantee you find something spendy ;-) But is a fun trip, no doubt.

I would try nordstrom rack- it takes 20 mins, and you can find a great deal, if something is in your size. You may luck out, or may be nothing. But i would run by there first. I found a great one, for about 600 bucks. Right now, at a slow retail time, they have alot of stuff.

But, i would recommend trying on a bunch of stuff- its time consuming, but the more you see kinda thing. A good one will last a long time, and is a sweet thing to have around.