Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
    Car
    02 4motion Jetta VRT

I am actually interested in this for my b5 passat.

Car
    15 Sportwagen / TDI caddy

Quote Originally Posted by MNShortBus View Post
    And some super rare black rear lights with the motion sensors in them. No more painted gray ones.

Out of curiously did you buy those interior sensors from a girl in Florida?

Wish you would have said something sooner about the cluster issues. I have a non modified full fis eeprom dump from my cluster before it was changed to work on my car.

Car
    MKIV GTI, B8 Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I am actually interested in this for my b5 passat.
    Ahh OK. Yeah it would probably work. I'm not sure what differences there are between a B5 and B5.5 though. Guessing they are very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by 05gli View Post
    Out of curiously did you buy those interior sensors from a girl in Florida?

Wish you would have said something sooner about the cluster issues. I have a non modified full fis eeprom dump from my cluster before it was changed to work on my car.
    I didn't. I actually bought them from someone in the UK.

To fix my cluster I actually got a copy of an unmodified R32 FIS cluster EEPROM (for the 180MPH speedo). But its good to know someone close-ish is around that has one!

Car
    15 Sportwagen / TDI caddy

I had one...sold all my oem+ stuff and put my car back to stock.

Car
    MKIV GTI, B8 Allroad

Another successful trip to the u pull yard on Saturday. Found more folding mirrors, window motors, a pair of front power/heated seats, and tons of other misc stuff. I'll probably go back to help a buddy pull some more cool stuff.

I worked on removing the rest of the interior and laying out the harness for the rest of the day. The current plan is to integrate the seat and memory harness into the car as close to factory as possible and also transfer the power seat bases over to my Recaros. The harness is complete all the way to the fuse holders that clip into the relay plate under the dash and all the way to the doors and window motors. The Passat heated seat part of the harness is actually two pieces so I'll probably remove the two T6 connectors and make it all one piece while I'm at it. I can't think of a reason for keeping that disconnect in there.

The loot

Laying out the harness

Spare wiring terminals for the rear footwell LEDs I am adding.

Now would be a perfect time to install an R32 dash...

Routing the harness.

Car
    MK4

God dammit, I need to go to the junkyards more.

Seeing that Onstar unit and power folding mirrors make me jelly haha.

Edit: Did you get a lot of those out of a Jetta GLX? I have a rear sunshade for a Jetta and need the C pillars from a GLX to hold it up.
    Last edited by TurboCrayon; 03-15-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Car
    MKIV GTI, B8 Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by TurboCrayon View Post
    God dammit, I need to go to the junkyards more.

Seeing that Onstar unit and power folding mirrors make me jelly haha.

Edit: Did you get a lot of those out of a Jetta GLX? I have a rear sunshade for a Jetta and need the C pillars from a GLX to hold it up.
    Still not sure what I'm going to do with the OnStar buttons.

Most of these are out of Passats. To be honest I didn't really pay attention to the trim levels of the Jettas that were there. There were a few sedans and wagons.

Car
    B7 A4 S-Line Titanium

The amount of wiring that you've done makes my head hurt. I believe I shall go pour some beer on the sores.

-DL
    Herp Derp

Car
    MKIV GTI, B8 Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    The amount of wiring that you've done makes my head hurt. I believe I shall go pour some beer on the sores.

-DL
    haha. I have gone a little overboard in that aspect if I do say so myself.

Car
    MKIV GTI, B8 Allroad

I made quite the mess last weekend.

Finished the switch side of the harness. All wrapped in OEM tape because thats the only way I do wiring in this car. This will be joined with the rest of the seat harness down by the airbag controller. I believe this is the same path that the factory harness follows. From there it will go up to the main harness that follows the metal dash bar and then over to the fuse box behind the cluster.

I'm using this diagram for heated seats in case anyone is interested in the wiring. I'm also wiring in a headlight washer system for sometime in the future. I figured I might as well if I have the fuse block cracked open and because that pump runs on a separate 20amp fuse that is not wired in. This also means adding a washer fluid tank and washer pump hidden somewhere in the lower bumper or fender well. I hated not having the ability use the windshield washers driving through the mountains at SoWo last year as well as the rest of the year driving around town.

Also, I'm considering doing some kind of sound proofing on the floor now that everything is removed from the car. Anyone have any experience with this stuff or opinions to share?
    Last edited by MNShortBus; 03-21-2016 at 10:48 PM.

Car
    MKIV GTI, B8 Allroad

I guess need to go back to the junk yard at least one more time. Apparently the door and body harnesses for the memory mirrors contain different colored wires. I had to de-pin them to run through the door and neglected to get pictures of the 4 pin locations. Other than that wiring is done for the power seats and memory function. I'm almost done with the washer fluid and headlight washer wiring as well. Just need to run it down to the front passenger side.

Routed the harness for everything up to the main body harness and secured it there. The grounding point is just in front of this and to the right of the cluster.

Doors are done and sound deadening has been added. The wiring was a little different on the Passats in terms of the ground which I just soldered to the Brown/Blue wiring on both doors. In the Passats the ground normally goes to a shared ground in the lead that runs to the door switch. I didn't copy the Passat way due to the ground being accessible right at the T29 motor plug. The Passat mirrors use the opposite male/female connectors as well so I swapped the wires running from T12 to T29 on both the donor harness and mine. This allowed for a perfect swap without a bunch of soldering for the T12 mirror plug. It was only 5 wires plus an additional 3 for the memory/folding function. The other thing that has not been previously documented is the joined wires from T12/4 (purple/gray) and T12/2 red/black) to T29. You can see these are joined from the factory. Its important to keep this when swapping over.

Awesome blurry pic of the joined wires.

Repeated the procedure on both sides. It is much more difficult to fish the wires through the door on the drivers side. I had to do the wires individually due to the other things I had already added to the car.

All wrapped up.

I need to remember to bring my DSLR to the shop to get some better pics.

Car
    MKIV GTI, B8 Allroad

Finally finished laying down the sound deadening. I decided to go with Second Skin Damplifier. Its really nice stuff, easy to work with, and extremely sticky.

I also started taking apart the Passat seats to harvest the motors, heating elements, and harnesses. All the pads work on the drivers side but the pad looks like it got a bit warm in one spot and has a slight burn. These pads look a little different in terms of the layout of the heater wires so I am not sure if these are the new or old versions. Either way I am going to need to find another element for the seat bottom as I don't want to risk another burn. Good news is both the driver and passenger side wiring works Bad news is couldn't help but think of how many farts have happened in the seat while I am tearing it apart.

You can see the burn in the lower left.

Car
    B7 A4 S-Line Titanium

Again, this thread satisfies my OCD. Thanks for pictures of the awesome build!

-

DL
    Herp Derp

Car
    MK4

Years and years of farts.

Car
    MK6 JSW, MK4 GTI

Bahahah perfect.

I'm sure those are infused with fecal matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTapper View Post
    I can attest to the size of the nuts.