Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Car
    GTI 1.8t

lower it.

Sincerely,

Dad.

Looks like a great car. Have fun with it!

Car
    hood scoop

Quote Originally Posted by shrykFC3S View Post
    lower it.

Sincerely,

Dad.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    bitch, you trippin'

Car
    hood scoop

Email sent out for a price quote on some parts, will likely order things in the morning.

Soon.

Edit.

Parts are on the way and should arrive no later than Wednesday.

Very soon.
    Last edited by derp; 02-24-2012 at 07:16 AM.
    bitch, you trippin'

Car
    hood scoop

Here we go!

Took a trip down to First Gear Garage yesterday...

Ready for install

OUT WITH THE OLD!

and in with the new

Big thanks to Alex for coming down and helping out with the install. Couldn't have done the up pipe without him.

Sounds great! Tune should hopefully happen today.
    bitch, you trippin'

Car
    Bus, Bike & c5

awesome
    Listen twice as much as you talk.

Car
    73 Opel GT, 540i Msport

glad to help buddy, you had one of the biggest shit grins i have ever seen when you turned the car on
    I almost said a curse word!

Car
    Outback

Looks very nice. I want some audio!

Car
    hood scoop

i need someone with a better quality recording device and a youtube account to take care of that.
    bitch, you trippin'

Car
    Outback

How do you like it now??? The wife and I are looking at these. Any advice?

Car
    hood scoop

I still like it. I've only used the capacity of the wagon once, but it was super helpful in getting my friend moved. The wagon gives you a bit of a bass cannon effect, the exhaust resonates inside the car rather loudly at certain RPM ranges. However, with the windows down, it's not nearly as bad. Music sounds great in it however, the factory stereo is definitely not lacking. No plug in for any externals, however there is a 6 disk changer in dash.

I'm averaging about 20 to 22 miles per gallon, but that was on winter gas so we'll see what happens over the summer. the other damning factor in my lack of gas milage is the fact that since I went stage 2, it's impossible to go a whole tank without beating on it a few times.

They're picky with oil, some types aren't good for the car. Shell Rotella T or Castrol seems to be the preferred dinosaur blend for these cars.

Make sure that you get good tires on it. If your tires suck, you will have a nasty tendancy to understeer. (again, when driving aggressively, not sure how often wifey would do that... but you on the other hand... ) if you're looking to do any performance driving, i would recommend a few things.

Do all the bushings under the car. Just do all of them right away, and be done with it. This will tighten up steering response, as initial turn-in is a bit vague. I just don't feel quite as connected as I would like.

Grimmspeed master cylinder brace. These cars have good brakes, they really do. The issue is pedal feel. It's mushy. The grimmspeed brace firms things up, and only costs like a hundred bucks. worth it!

Other things....

Watch for subaru rust. It likes to start forming around the rear wheel well, on the forward side. there are clip on body panels that overlap metal panels, this creates a trap for water. I'm starting to develop a tiny bit of rust in that area. Fortunately I caught it early enough, and it should only cost me around 500 bucks to get it repaired by a shop that I was referred to.

Keep an eye on the factory intercooler. They've been known to blow apart under boost.

There's a banjo fitting for an oil feed from the block to the turbo. this banjo fitting has a filter in it. this filter has been frequently known to get clogged, starving your turbo of oil. if your turbo goes, it has a nasty tendancy on these cars to give your engine a metal shaving enema, which is bad. You can clean the filter, or you can just take it out. and problem solved. Otherwise, there are many places that offer a replacement kit that gets rid of the hard line and replaces it with braided steel line.

Overall, I love it. It's fast, loud, pisses off my ghetto neighbors, nice on the inside, has a great stereo, and most importantly to me ISN'T RICER BAIT. I have yet to have some tool in their uber fast civic yo to try to race me.
    bitch, you trippin'

Car
    Mk4 Jetta Wagon 1.8T / Mk

Do people chip these Subarus?

Car
    87 BMW 325e, 02 9-5 wagon

If you didn't realize, that was me as I got onto 94w and you 35eS yesterday. The new exhaust sounded great, seriously I was impressed. Not too loud and had a nice growl.

Car
    hood scoop

Quote Originally Posted by SlimMJS View Post
    Do people chip these Subarus?
    There are several different options i.e. the cobb accessport, otherwise you can flash the ECU, or open ECU tune.

I went with an open tune, I had the guy ride with me and he plugged his laptop in and some sensors and stuff and fiddled with shit and worked mystical voodoo bullshit and then my car was faster.
    bitch, you trippin'

Car
    '01 Allroad 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by derp View Post
    Overall, I love it. It's fast, loud, pisses off my ghetto neighbors, nice on the inside, has a great stereo, and most importantly to me ISN'T RICER BAIT. I have yet to have some tool in their uber fast civic yo to try to race me.
    Excellent paragraph, I LOLd

For the record, damn you. If I end up selling my KO4'd 6MT Allroad for a pearl white 08/09 Outback XT it will be no ones fault but your own.