Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
    Car
    73 Opel GT, 540i Msport

Default Project Lady Vette

I have been waiting for post number 3000 to start this so here we go!

As most of you know the monday after Dubs in the Valley i picked up a car i never thought i would ever be able to own, a 1973 Opel GT.

i had gotten really tired of the corrado and it needed a new home, so when i decided to sell it i randomly went on CL trying to find another car. I put in a max price and this thing popped up on the first page. Frankly i didn't really believe it since i have wanted one of these since i was about 3.

the car has spent the better part of the last 30 years being a modified toy for the two previous owners (it has been owned by more people but it was the last two that built up the car). These cars were never known for being all that sporty from the factory but this is far from factory. Here is a brief rundown of the car.

Engine:
    -2.4L race block w/ fully forged rotating assembly.
    -original 1.9L head that has been ported, polished, adapted to run a custom roller cam w/ purple billet rockers
    - ported intake manifold
    - ported exhaust manifold
    - custom exhaust
    - remote mount oil filter w/ a giant filter that adds 2 quarts capacity

Drivetrain:
    - Opel Motorsports race clutch
    - 5 speed getreg swap
    - LSD in the rear

Suspension:
    - custom front leaf spring (car has a transverse leaf up front) to lower the front
    - custom springs in the rear
    - KYB shocks
    - Poly bushings just about everywhere

Interior:
    - Corbeau forza (i think) driver seat w/ 4 point simpson harness
    - momo steering wheel and shift knob (thanks space!)

the paint on the car is original and since i am driving the car on a much more regular basis then the previous owners did so i think i am going to respray the car this winter to seal the body up. these things were known to rust and it has effected the survivability of these things greatly so to head off any problems i think it is a good idea but i am most likely going to keep it the same color so i don't have to strip the car down to do a full color change.

other then that i don't really have any plans for the car other then driving it, i have manifolds to run sidedraft carbs and i know that they will fit on the 2.4L head i got but i need to mock them up on the 1.9L before i commit to buying the carbs and linkage. i don't want the car to become another corrado...

the car is an absolute blast to drive and puts a huge smile on my face every time i get behind the wheel even if it is hot cramped and hurts my back hehe. it turns sharper and faster than anything else i have ever owned or driven. it may not be the fastest car in the world but she's a hoot

i guess all that is left is to get some better pictures of the car at some point but the ones tyler shot at the RK meet i went to a while ago will suffice for now.

if anyone got any shots of it @ C&C this weekend please post them up, it was a lot of fun talked to people about the car. you would be surprised at how many people come up to me saying they used to own one.

enjoy!
    I almost said a curse word!

Car
    72 911T, '12 Jetta, Tahoe

needs more sidedrafts!

this fits you alex, and its good to see you excited about the car and its prospects!

Car
    92 325i, LLY duramax

It looked good on Saturday alex! Pretty cool to see in person.

Car
    MK6 JSW, MK4 GTI

Loved seeing this at further a few weeks back. I cant wait to see what you do with it!
    Quote Originally Posted by JTapper View Post
    I can attest to the size of the nuts.

Car
    73 Opel GT, 540i Msport

thanks guys!

i have been talking to the guys at Opel GT Source the past few days about a number of different things. they have some of the best customer service i have ever seen in the auto world and they are one of the reasons i decided to buy the car since i i knew i wouldn't be left out in the cold.

trying to figure out how much of the rocker/cam setup from the 1.9l head can be transferred over to the 2.4l head since the manifolds to run sidedrafts i have are not going to fit on the 1.9l head. in addition i am trying to figure out what options i have for running a bigger carb on the setup i have. if it isn't going to be an arm and a leg to prep the 2.4l head and i can find a shop to do it then that will be done this winter too.

on a side note i fixed a problem with the shifter on monday and now it is so much better to drive and shift, no more guessing what gear i am going into!

Car
    5KTQ

Sick pics

Car
    73 Opel GT, 540i Msport

thanks for taking them!

came home from class today and noticed one of the rear tires is flat... gonna fill it up but if it doesn't hold air i guess it is time to get a pair of 15x8 enkei 92s for the rear

Car
    Wood Motorboat |'15 Tahoe

So what would you guess the power is? ~150?

It sure is a neat car - my Dad owned an Opel when I was growing up and it is cool to see one still around.

Car
    73 Opel GT, 540i Msport

150 is a good estimate right now, i know based on talking with a few people and companies i think i can squeeze about 240 out of the motor when i swap heads and put some sidedrafts on. however i have been told that i might start breaking axles at that point and i don't know where i am going to get stronger ones. i am not in a rush to put more power down, it is still a really fun car as it sits. i found the cam specs and it is literally the biggest most aggressive cam that will fit in the head according to OGTS and i know i will be more then doubling the CFM of the intake stream when i swap on over, i am actually a little scared at how fast it could end up being hehe but that is for another day

i have the address of the guy who built up the car but i am waiting to see if i can get his email because he is one of the most knowledgable people about this car on the planet and i am hoping he will be willing/able to give me some advice on where to go and what to do. but if i don't get a hold of him i think i should be ok with the help of OGTS.

Car
    E39t, tj, postal, buell

This car is amazing. I'd rock the shit outta it too. Thats awesome that motor has the ability to get over 200hp na. I moved into a newer efi motor for my 02 to have that capability. These old cars, just old cars in general, are so fun. My friends up here in Duluth are also getting a lot more into them. Lots of fun to be had.

Car
    Audi 200 quattro Avant

By far the cleanest example I've seen around here. Nice work!

Car
    lolvo

Quote Originally Posted by Majend View Post
    i have the address of the guy who built up the car but i am waiting to see if i can get his email because he is one of the most knowledgable people about this car on the planet and i am hoping he will be willing/able to give me some advice on where to go and what to do. but if i don't get a hold of him i think i should be ok with the help of OGTS.
    Get on MNautoX.com and send a PM to 73GT, his name is Lee Frisvold and he's very knowledgeable in general too but he is the one that built this car and I'd bet he still knows all the specs off the top of his head.

Love this car and I'm excited to see where you take it
    Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    Let me guess, profuse masturbating?

Car
    97' Volvo 960

I love this car, especially the trick headlights!
    That's it, give him the finger.

Car
    73 Opel GT, 540i Msport

Quote Originally Posted by EWAustin View Post
    Get on MNautoX.com and send a PM to 73GT, his name is Lee Frisvold and he's very knowledgeable in general too but he is the one that built this car and I'd bet he still knows all the specs off the top of his head.

Love this car and I'm excited to see where you take it
    you are the MAN thank you so much!!!!!

Saw this car down by the u of m beautiful and sounds rediclious !! Good buy back in the day my dad owned one of these and swapped a v6 out of a mustang into it haha.