Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Car

Man 46mpg would be so nice right now. I was lucky to see 300 miles in one tank with my GTI.

What kind of numbers does a setup like this normally make?

Car
    '03 S10 ZR2,'14 Jetta 5M

Quote Originally Posted by sprstu View Post
    Cool write-up. I too am looking to do the 17/22 swap but I think Ill run Malone tuning as Ive heard very good things about them.
    Thanks! I think that you are running my intake manifold. I was part of Matthew's intake marry-go-round last fall.
    JFettig will be happy to hear you say that you will be running Malone . I have heard good things about him too. Each tuner is a little different but both do a good job. I will admit that having the capability to load tunes myself would be nice for small future hardware changes or upgrades.

Just for comparison: the stock turbo is a Garrett GT1749V (VNT15) with a 44mm compressor. Stock it ran about 13-15 psi. It was a turd! The replacement turbo is a Garrett 1752 Hybrid (VNT17/22) It has a 52mm compressor. With the RC4 tune it runs to about 26psi.

@SLK: Another tdiclub member has a very similar setup and he dynoed at 150hp and 267 lb-ft. It is an improvement over stock, but not enough
    Last edited by isonic; 05-11-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Car
    MKIV BORA TDI

isonic,

How's the wheel hop since you now have the 17/22 and RC4 ?

Car
    B5 Passat TDI, 951

Paul, I think its about time you update this thread :p

Car
    04' s60r 6mt

i agree!!

Car
    '03 S10 ZR2,'14 Jetta 5M

Quote Originally Posted by methylester View Post
    isonic,

How's the wheel hop since you now have the 17/22 and RC4 ?
    There isn't really any. Maybe if I really dumped it it might hop some but it is not uncontrollable. When I auto crossed this summer with the car I had some good launches there and I never noticed any excessive wheel hop.

I have almost 20K on the turbo now. Everything seems to be running well. I haven't had any issues driving it every day. I have installed a 1.8t pancake pipe. I will post up some pics of that later.

I did tow my atv up north last weekend and it dropped my mileage down to about 38 mpg. Otherwise I have been sustaining 700+ mile tanks of fuel.

Car
    '03 S10 ZR2,'14 Jetta 5M

Here are some pics of the 1.8t pancake pipe install along with a JFettig custom boost hose adapter.
    We started with this:

and Jon turned it into this:

By doing a little of this:

And this:

When put together it looks like this:

It is a pretty tight fit but it works well:

The reason for the adaptor is that the turbo outlet is 1.75" dia. and the pancake pipe is 2". The turbo is louder now, which I like. You can definitely hear it between 2-3K rpm.
    Last edited by isonic; 12-05-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Car
    mk4 TDI, TDI Ranger

Lookin good Paul!

I always felt like Chris's car needed a little more fuel, either PP764's or an 11mm pump. Boraparts has a sale on Bosch rebuilt 11mm's for ~$900 right now! Of course he has a FMIC and full exhaust so you might be just right. Any haze at WOT? Where do you have your IQ set?

Car
    GSW TDI 6spd, 74 Scout II

Beautiful part. is that a one off thing or does he make them regularly?
    Go Green with Diesel.

Car
    B5 Passat TDI, 951

Nick - I almost had him convinced to buy one off tdiclub for ~500 shipped. Its not the cost of the pump to be worried about, the cam, egt/boost gauges, intercooler, intake, injectors... it all adds up quick but would make a nice 200whp. I'll keep trying to convince him.

sprstu: I didn't document anything on this part, its a custom one-off but I could make another at some point. I'd likely need the car and all the parts to custom fit it and the silicone pieces.

Car
    '03 S10 ZR2,'14 Jetta 5M

The only real smoke I get is off boost, right when I punch it. It seems to clear up to the point where I can't see it any more as i go through the RPM range. Jon says that it does smoke all the time when I am on the throttle but it is only noticeable to the people outside of my car Of course when I heat soak (like I am sure I was at the DCTC autox this summer) it probably smokes like a banshee.

Nick, I will have to plug VCDS in to see what the IQ is set at. I am not sure what Jeff put it at.

I bought this:

DieselGeek panzer skid plate along with the full metal side shields. Last winter I drove around with nothing covering my bottom end. This year I have a shiny new turbo I would like to keep the salt off of. Not to mention the myriad of hard ass objects I demolished with my oil pan last year.
    Jon talked me into spraying them with a rubberized under coating. I think that he thought I was going to do the inside of the pans to help nock down some of the Diesel clatter, but I am not really interested in doing that so I did the outsides of the pans.

Here is how they turned out:

I sprayed three coats of the bumper coating on it.

This is a little pop out they added to access the drain plug:

Car
    T-IDI - M-TDI - TDI

Very nice! I've been wanting to pick up the panzer plate with side skirts as well. Relatively easy install?

Car
    '03 S10 ZR2,'14 Jetta 5M

Quote Originally Posted by Rhetoric View Post
    Very nice! I've been wanting to pick up the panzer plate with side skirts as well. Relatively easy install?
    It wasn't terrible. None of the steps are hard but there are a lot of them. Definitely have to pay attention to the instructions if you have never done one before.

Today I was driving down the road and I saw an ice chunk that fell off of a car, so I centered my car over it and the skid plate demolished it like it was nothing. Made a nice thud too. I just wanted to test the plate out and make sure every thing was working.

Car
    02 4motion Jetta VRT

Quote Originally Posted by isonic View Post
    It wasn't terrible. None of the steps are hard but there are a lot of them. Definitely have to pay attention to the instructions if you have never done one before.

Today I was driving down the road and I saw an ice chunk that fell off of a car, so I centered my car over it and the skid plate demolished it like it was nothing. Made a nice thud too. I just wanted to test the plate out and make sure every thing was working.
    Awesome work!

Car
    '03 S10 ZR2,'14 Jetta 5M

Looks like my IQ is set at about 5.6. Not sure if that is good or not but it seems to work. If I talk to Rocketchip anytime soon I'll ask about it.

Jon did point out one thing that the tune did, it added a temperature based idle adjustment. Normally the car idles in the low 900 rpm range(904 maybe?). As the starting temp gets colder and colder the idle is adjusted up until the car comes up to temperature. This morning when I fired it up she ran close to 1000 rpm for a while. After I started driving it the idle went back to normal. I thought it is cool, wasn't something I was expecting from the tune.