PDA

View Full Version : Part Out: 1983 VW Rabbit GTI

dan
01-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Hey guys and gals,
I've got a mostly complete 1983 VW Rabbit GTI that I smashed up in December of 07. I desperately tried to fix the front end damage on it this past summer, but gave up when i realized that it just wasn't going to work out on my budget.

I'm selling EVERYTHING on the car, with the exception of the interior. Being that it's somewhat rare, I will not sell it unless you take it all, and I want a lot for it since I happen to like the color (baby blue).

Some of the good stuff:
-brand new tail lights (being sold separately currently, but if you want them, post up)
- 1.8 8v JH engine in good running condition, approximately 200k miles, I have a mildly port and polished 1.8 jh head that I was waiting to put on, never got around to it.
- all glass is good, minus the "vent windows" they suck.
-2 snowflakes are in relatively good shape, just need to be cleaned.

There are some things that I do not have/stuff you don't really want off the car:
-front end sheet metal (fenders, grille, core support, headlights and related items, etc)
-the hatch is very rusty.
-2 snowflakes are very curb rashed and they could be salvaged and look nice with some effort.

If you want something, I am located in Milwaukee, WI. So, it will need to be shipped unless you are in the area. Please take that into account when inquiring about an item. I am more than willing to ship large items, but you will have to cover the cost in full prior to me shipping the item.

Pics prior to accident:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/danthemanohhyea/Venom%20Motorsports/picture-tag/IMG_7516.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/danthemanohhyea/Venom%20Motorsports/picture-tag/CRW_7441s.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/danthemanohhyea/Venom%20Motorsports/picture-tag/IMG_7437.jpg

Post accident:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/danthemanohhyea/rabbit%20crash/IMG_7790_1.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/danthemanohhyea/rabbit%20crash/img_8211.jpg

I guess I would sell the car as is for $850. It might seem like a lot, but I do have everything to fix this car, minus the fenders. I have a round-headlight core support with passenger side frame rail attached. You'd just have to straighten the passenger side fender wall and weld the core support + frame rail on, throw some fenders on and you'd be good to go.

Let me know!

Digital K
01-18-2009, 04:55 PM
interested in lower tie bar, pm me.

dan
01-24-2009, 10:18 AM
bump.

Digital K
01-24-2009, 12:43 PM
tax return season will see your ad pick up

justrave
01-24-2009, 12:53 PM
how much for the interiurhrs?

Digital K
01-24-2009, 12:56 PM
dont sell the interior dan! save it! that dash is work bank!

dan
01-24-2009, 04:26 PM
how much for the interiurhrs?
The interior is not for sale, but if I had to put a price on it, I'd say $750. (that's just so that the likely hood of someone buying it being close to zero!)

urgti
01-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Baby blue interior, brown exterior.......hmmm

dan
01-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Baby blue interior, brown exterior.......hmmm

Yes, very nice!

urgti
01-25-2009, 06:35 PM
I have the back half of the car that interior came out of in my yard.

Digital K
01-25-2009, 06:39 PM
lazy bitch. start welding.

urgti
01-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Can I use the studio space? I will bring my welder over there if it has 220.

Digital K
01-25-2009, 07:17 PM
askin the wrong guy about that.

dan
01-26-2009, 08:57 AM
lazy bitch. start welding.

Can I use the studio space? I will bring my welder over there if it has 220.

askin the wrong guy about that.

Please keep outside discussion out of my thread. I like to keep things somewhat topic related!

Digital K
01-26-2009, 03:48 PM
pfff :P

urgti
01-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Consider it free bumping.
Pics of the baby blue, you know you want to share:beer:

yerigga
01-26-2009, 10:50 PM
interior pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

dan
01-27-2009, 12:48 PM
ha. it's currently in a mess. the front seats are just tossed in there and not even facing the right way..
this is the only photo that I have of the interior:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/danthemanohhyea/IMG_6669.jpg?t=1233081854

Since that photo I acquired baby blue front seat belts, still have RED buckles though. Also, I never had rear seatbelts. :(

One thing that always bugged me about that dash is that it never seated properly under the windshield and the kneebar wasn't really functional (it'd probably come off in a serious crash!) It also has a pretty obvious crack next to the VIN plaque (probably repairable, just looks icky). :(

One other note on the interior, the drivers side lower left "bolster" has developed a pretty decent crack in the vinyl. :(

Oh, I also acquired a baby-blue cloth/carpeted dash cover to go over the dash to help protect it from further sun damage!

yerigga
01-27-2009, 07:27 PM
so how much cash are you looking for for the whole interior? also what car(s) did this interior come in?

dan
01-27-2009, 08:29 PM
so how much cash are you looking for for the whole interior? also what car(s) did this interior come in?

Well, this is a rare interior. I have no idea what car it came from, as it was in the car when I bought it.

I don't really want to sell it, because I do actually like it. And am likely to transplant it into another rabbit if I get one that's suitable.

That being said, I would rather you offer me an amount instead of me listing one. That way I'm not scaring anyone off with an impossibly high dollar amount.
Let's just say it would have to be a substantial amount of cash to get me to sell it. Not to mention shipping to MN would be several hundred dollars.

yerigga
01-28-2009, 10:57 PM
dang your in Milwaukee. and i honestly have no idea what to even offer

dan
02-04-2009, 10:19 PM
BUMP!

Someone must want something for their rabbit..

I'm pretty reasonable on prices, so I can guarantee a good deal.
All you have to do is cover shipping 100%, I'm sick of losing out by under-quoting people.. It's ridiculous how much shipping prices have gone up.

Tim Chunks
02-05-2009, 09:11 PM
need rear side marker lights
driver side window crank

dan
02-06-2009, 06:59 AM
need rear side marker lights
driver side window crank

Rear marker: $10+shipping (can prolly send it via flat rate so it'd be like $6 shipping)
Driver side window crank: baby blue so not for sale.

igene
02-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if you still had the cover plates on the inside of the hatch behind the wiper motor and next to it.
I need them for my 1983 GTi.
please let me know.
Thanks,
Gene

dan
02-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Bumpty Dumpty had a great fall, so I bumped him back up!

Washburn
02-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Sorry...do you know if parts will fit on a 92 Cabby? Need windshield, suspension parts.

EWAustin
02-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Sorry...do you know if parts will fit on a 92 Cabby? Need windshield, suspension parts.

Windshield is the same, Suspension should be mostly the same, the springs/swaybars may be different though.

dan
02-17-2009, 10:29 PM
What sort of suspension parts are you looking for? They would be a direct fit to a cabby.
As far as the windshield goes, it is a bonded/glued in windshield, so I don't know how I'd get it out. Not only that but it was brand new OEM about a year ago, so I'd want a little more than "usual" for it, if I were able to remove it without breaking it.

EWAustin
02-17-2009, 10:31 PM
They're not too hard to get out, if you're interested PM me and I'll do a little mini writeup for you.

Washburn
02-18-2009, 06:31 PM
What sort of suspension parts are you looking for? They would be a direct fit to a cabby.
As far as the windshield goes, it is a bonded/glued in windshield, so I don't know how I'd get it out. Not only that but it was brand new OEM about a year ago, so I'd want a little more than "usual" for it, if I were able to remove it without breaking it.

It's got a broken front spring on the drivers side. It could probably use new shocks anyway, so I was thinking of just swapping out the entire strut assembly if the shocks are decent on yours. Would be quicker and easier that way too. If the shocks are not too old, maybe look at the rears too.

New or old windshield, I guess I don't care, they're worth the same to me...as long as it isn't broken! Eric will probably give yo ua greta write up. Basically remove trim, get a guitar string through somewhere, you and a helper pull it around cutting the urethane. That's the basic idea anyway.

dan
02-18-2009, 10:14 PM
I have had a few people drive my car before I smashed it and they told me the suspension seemed a bit tired. I wouldn't sell the shocks as anything but "AS IS" due to it. Mind you, they're not blown out, but I never replaced them and neither did any of the previous owners that I know of.

As for the windshield, I only mention that it's brand new OEM because at the time it was the 2nd or 3rd last OEM one left in VWOA inventory.

Also, how would one propose I ship a windshield without risk of breakage?

OptimusGlen
02-19-2009, 10:15 AM
I wouldn't ship a windshield. But if you really really wanted to, go ask a glass install company for a box that might fit, and make sure you have lots of stuffing material.

Washburn
02-19-2009, 12:56 PM
I autocross in Milwaukee a lot. I could pick it up. I have an E34 wagon...that's what they are for, right? :) Still may be interested in the strut assemblies. GTI's proabably had a littel more spring rate than the Cabby's. I could take my time and replace the cartridge, then swap them out in a couple hours. Let me know what you would want.

PM is evo160ax -at- yahoo -dot- com

I have had a few people drive my car before I smashed it and they told me the suspension seemed a bit tired. I wouldn't sell the shocks as anything but "AS IS" due to it. Mind you, they're not blown out, but I never replaced them and neither did any of the previous owners that I know of.

As for the windshield, I only mention that it's brand new OEM because at the time it was the 2nd or 3rd last OEM one left in VWOA inventory.

Also, how would one propose I ship a windshield without risk of breakage?

dan
02-19-2009, 01:25 PM
washburn, email sent!

Digital K
02-19-2009, 10:23 PM
i need the front triangle quarter window glass and side window glass. Might as well take the door roll up and down glass too

dan
02-20-2009, 08:18 AM
i need the front triangle quarter window glass and side window glass. Might as well take the door roll up and down glass too
The vent windows? They're pretty crappy and leak, but if you want them, ok.

You want me to ship or come pick up?

Washburn
02-23-2009, 04:54 PM
washburn, email sent!

Never saw one. Try plw -at- charter.net

mpls_a2_gti
02-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Dan, quote me on the transmission. Thanks.

dan
02-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Dan, quote me on the transmission. Thanks.
Well it isn't perfect, I promise you that. It's a 4k with the typical 2nd gear grind when it's cold. Once it warms up it's fine though. Unknown mileage, but can't be that high (less than 200k).

You'd also have to come get it in Milwaukee, because I'm NOT shipping it.

I paid $100 for it, so.. $80 picked up?

dan
02-25-2009, 11:25 AM
washburn, email sent (again!)