Car
    the toilet

Default Battery cables on wrong terminals... what did it fry?

Ok... I didn't do this... my brother-in-law's fiance did...

My bro in law has an Audi 90 coupe quattro... It needed a new battery. His fiance went to change the battery and accidentally put the battery cables on the opposite terminals. Fry. Some of the electrics work for the engine (power is going to it). But lights, wipers, windows, etc do not work. Does anyone know where we should start lookin to see what fried? Electrics scare me I'm tryin to help him out though. He completes Marine basic training in December, he's getting married when he gets back, and has a baby. They don't have alot to get it fixed... so it me and my dad-in-law (and I'm retarded ). Any words of wisdom?

Car
    72 911T, '12 Jetta, Tahoe

yikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by OptimusGlen View Post
    I'll be a happy little school girl

Car
    the toilet

Yeah... it sucks because I love that car... I was the one that convinced him to buy it. They haven't really taken good care of it though.

Car
    VRIANT | MB W204

fuses and relays would be first on the list. Harnesses should be fine, but things like ECUs might not make it...

Car
    lolvo

I'd start by checking all the fuses and relays. If that doesn't help I'd look into fusible links.

Failing that you're looking at an ECU...
    Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    Let me guess, profuse masturbating?

Car
    Audi A4

I hate electrical stuff!!!!! Just tonight i fried some fuses and posibly even the ecu....we'll see.

Car
    E39/E91/LRDII

Oh no, sounds like he let the magic smoke out of the car...

I let a friend borrow a battery of mine and he did that to my car when he put it back in.

Places I found damage were grounds, starter, and alternator. The problem with the alternator was the voltage regulator went out, it was rebuilt for cheap, not totally ruined. The starter was fried, I probably had a few bad relays from the ordeal too.

I know I kept finding bad grounds where either the insulation or the entire wire had melted or became badly corroded.

Hopefully the damage is not too extensive! It seems to be hit and miss when people make this mistake.

Car
    the toilet

Thanks yall. I will take a look at the fuses and relays first. It's a good thing she didn't try to start it. I hope it's an easy fix.

Car
    986 Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by EWAustin View Post
    I'd start by checking all the fuses and relays. If that doesn't help I'd look into fusible links.

Failing that you're looking at an ECU...

Many moons ago I did the same thing on a Maxima. The only thing I had to replace was the fusible link. I'm not an expert but it appeared to be just a large 100 amp fuse. After I replaced it I did not have any other electrical troubles. Good luck.

Car
    w124

A guy did this to an SL500 vert that my dad ended up working on, he had to replace virtually every relay, module and elec motor in the car. I think it cost the guy nearly the value of the car to fix (incl labor). Ouch. Hope you fair better!

Car
    the toilet

me too... otherwise I'll be putting the car up for sale for him.

Car
    03 Jetta Wagon

Japanese cars have been using large fusable links for quite a while. VW really only started on the mk3 and not sure about Audi's.

Boy at that point, they would have powered the entire unibody, so I could see anywhere a self tapping screw or a stud attaches ground there being issues. I also think this would have made one heck of a spark putting the cables on.

Good thing, upull usually has a 90 or two in the yard.