Car
    Anaslex

Default Volvo V70 misfire. Have any ideas?

Ok so a friend of mine just picked up a 2000 V70 non turbo for very cheap. I looked at it for a couple minutes on his way home and like the dealer stated, it does have a miss. blah blah. I ran my scanner and (didn't write it down, going off memory) it had 5 codes.. Two random misfires, a couple for the evap or something.. think one was a no voltage, and one was a no flow or something along the lines of that, will have him rescan it today, one that just said Vovlo + 5v?????

I am going to help guide him get this thing going good, and thought I would ask for your help.

I am fairly certain it is vacuum leaks etc. or a faulty valve in there. any more ideas would be appreciated.

thanks.

Car
    2001 allroad 6MT

If there was an evap no flow code, the vaccum line from the evap solenoid to the manifold could be shot. I'd start by checking all the vacuum lines, replacing anything suspect. I'd throw new plugs in there too since you don't know when they were done last.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Ernest Hemingway

Car
    Anaslex

We did do new plugs and coil packs with no success, vacuum lines is what I am hoping as he is just a high school kid that can't afford to be dumping a bunch of money into it. I hate how they route these damn things though. gotta pull the intake manifold off to get to the solenoid... boo (I have a feeling if I ever have to work on my wifes T6 I will be wishing it was this V70 haha

Car
    Anaslex

this here is what I suspect

Crankcase Ventilation System Failure (PCV/Flame trap)
    All 1993-2000 850, S70, C70 and V70 models (as well as most 2001 2007 S60, S80, V70 and XC 90 models) use a complicated crankcase vent system to prevent the build u of pressure inside the engine. Since the mid 70’s Volvo owners have had problems with this system clogging up with oil deposits. Once the system plugs up, crankcase pressure builds high enough to cause oil to be forced past engine seals resulting in oil leaks around the engine. Another problem with this system is the many small vacuum lines used become brittle and crack, rendering the system inoperable as well as causing idle and drivability issues. Since the lines are buried under the intake manifold, it’s difficult to diagnose. To keep the system operating properly it’s a good idea to visually inspect the lines every other oil change and completely replace all the associated components every 80-100,000 miles. We’ve put together handy kits that make it easy to order the correct parts.

Car
    2001 allroad 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRob View Post
    (I have a feeling if I ever have to work on my wifes T6 I will be wishing it was this V70 haha
    This. The T6 kind of sucks to work on. if you have to do something with the turbos

It's worth grabbing a piece of vaccum line, and with the engine idling, put one end in your ear and probe around the bay with the other. I'd concentrate on the front of the engine, especially under the intake manifold, as well as on the drivers side of the bay, as that's where the EVAP lines are.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Ernest Hemingway

Car
    02 GTI 1.8t, 12 Golf Tdi

Check compression on the misfire cylinder. Bet it's low

Car
    Anaslex

Quote Originally Posted by veedubmechanic View Post
    Check compression on the misfire cylinder. Bet it's low
    That was the original plan, but when he went to start it last friday and drive it over, the battery is dead.. I guess that will be this Fridays plan now.

Car
    Anaslex

OK so after some more research, thinking maybe ETM?!? http://vexedvolvo.org/

anyone know who (besides a dealer) I could have him bring his car to so he can get the ecu updated?

Car
    2001 allroad 6MT

ETM causes all sorts of other issues, not just a misfire.

Did you check for vacuum leaks?

Car
    Anaslex

That will be the first thing I do is take your advice and check for vaccum leaks, but I won't have access to the car until Friday afternoon. (the kid lives in north branch). I am really only doing this as I love taking on projects, and I get to help out a good kid.

Car
    02 GTI 1.8t, 12 Golf Tdi

throttle position sensor wont cause a single cylinder misfire.
    random mis yea, but not a single cylinder.

Also older 5cyl have lots of issues with the coil pack harness' cracking and causing misfires. But they probably would have crumbled when you replaced the coils.
    you're looking up used handguns at school? welcomed to the flagged student list
    Your cock blocking like half the people on eurowerks with that statement.

Car
    Anaslex

Very good to know. one more day until I get to check it out. I will try the tube in the ear trick, or was thinking of smoke testing it. (good old fog machine) but putting tube in my ear and listening around is quicker. Would a stethoscope work you think? I am an amateur gynecologist so I have doctor toys.

Car
    02 GTI 1.8t, 12 Golf Tdi

light a ciggarette, take the evap hose off, blow smoke in, find leak
    you're looking up used handguns at school? welcomed to the flagged student list
    Your cock blocking like half the people on eurowerks with that statement.

Car
    Anaslex

Quote Originally Posted by veedubmechanic View Post
    light a ciggarette, take the evap hose off, blow smoke in, find leak
    Damn, looks like I have to start smoking again.. well its an excuse to buy a pack of cigs anyways haha