OK, I know what you are thinking. "Oh look another project thread by SLK that will never progress into anything at all." You are probably right. But good news everyone, this isn't really much of a project thread. So go fuck yourselves. Everyone. Right now.
WARNING, SOB STORY AHEAD!!:So it all started back in June. My parents moved to Salt Lake City, Utah. Then several weeks later my mom emails me a link to a classifieds ad in Salt Lake City she came across when she was car shopping. It was a 1981 VW Caddy with a 1.6TD swap. I convince my parents to go take a look at it for me. I tell them all the usual spots to look for rust and what not. My mom has owned several rabbits back in the 80's so she is still somewhat familiar with the car. They tell me everything checks out and that it drives fine but it is slow (as to be expected). After talking with the PO some on the phone I buy it. Fast forward to August. I fly out to SLC to visit my parents. The next day I go and pick up my truck. As soon as I drive it I realized something was wrong. My 8v Cabby had twice the get up and go this truck has. So I talked with the PO before leaving, he tells me "oh it will get up to 75-80 MPH no problem." The drive back to my parents house is 20ish miles. The entire drive I never break 65MPH. I am pissed but at this point I have already owned the truck for 2 months. I am not one for bitching about purchases like this and asking for money back. Well the original plan was to drive it home from Utah. But I knew the mountain passes leaving SLC and going through Wyoming would be killer, so my dad and I towed it home. I am much happier we did that because it would have sucked doing 60mph the entire way home.
My plans at this point are pretty minimal. I just want to take care of the current issues it has and daily drive it. I live paycheck to paycheck so modifications will be few and far between for a long time.
Here is a list of everything I need to do in the not so distant future:
- Figure why it's down on power/replace any parts needed to get it running right
- Install tach, boost and EGT gauge
- Get new seats; the stock ones are trashed and not comfy at all
- Replace the blower motor; heater core is just fine though
- Fix saggy headliner; it is pretty annoying to feel the headliner touch your head while driving
- Take care of rust spots; Though I really don't want to mess with the look of the truck, I think the stripes are awesome!
- Fix driver side door lock
- Install stereo and maybe just some cheap small speakers to replace the tiny one in the dash
- Snow setup for winter; stock tires have plenty of life left in them but this thing will definitely need snow tires
And here it is in all of it's glory.
Front fender that will eventually need to be replaced
Original dealer (Also the one who applied the stripes)
The worst of the rust, this is just under the driver's side door
Check out the sweeeeeeet WRX intercooler (will be changed as soon as funds allow)
But at least the strut towers are minty fresh
The sad hole in the dash in which I currently put my GPS in...
Alright so since this is a project thread, there must only be positive reinforcement posted. Any negative shit and I will kick you in the nuts.
Let the nut swinging begin.