1983 Volvo/lolvo 240 Turbo
- 221k on the odo, but it has allegedly been broken at one point or another in it's life
- was an arizona car for the first 20 or so years of it's life, before coming to MN
- 4 speed + OD, 3.73 final drive rear
- shittily resprayed at some point in it's life, paint on horizontal surfaces is completely dead. err, I mean, it has perfect patina.
It's kinda broken, in a few ways. mainly some sort of electrical problem, or combination of electrical problems though. It died two days ago, idling in the turn lane. No spark, no power to the primary side of the coil. So some wiring is screwed up in between the ignition switch and the coil. I haven't really looked at it since then, been super busy and trying to get my Amazon back on the road. I might look at it in the next few days, but my schedule for the next few weeks is crazy busy, so who knows.
I loved this car, and it's probably been the best first car I could have gotten. I haven't drove it easily, but I haven't done *really* stupid stuff with it. It has had it's fair share of hard launches and hooning about in rain, gravel, and snow, but I have kept up on oil level, changed the oil with synthetic every 3-4k, and haven't brutally abused it. I've had LOADS of fun with this thing, everyone loves it, and I really wish I could keep it. but I can't. I need a reliable car that I don't have to wrench on and don't have to think about, while I go to college.
I could list tons of stuff on this car, both good and bad, but it would take hours. This car is really rough around the edges, but it still runs and drives pretty awesome when the wiring isn't acting up.
what it needs, the main stuff:
- fixing of wiring issues (new or good used wiring harness would be awesome, but if I mess with it I might just run new wiring to the cars basic running functions. we'll see.)
- new or rebuilt right rear brake caliper, and new rear rotors
- could for sure use a brake bleeding, and a general checking out of the brakes. it brakes fine in normal driving, but it locks up way too early under hard braking.
shiny and/or cool bits that make you want to buy it:
- it has a turbo, it goes whoosh.
- it has a 3" turboback exhaust that sounds pretty awesome.
- it has a ludicrous speed switch that adds boost.
- it's rwd. it is fun in the winter, in the rain, or on gravel roads
- it is a lolvo
- it is the pinnacle of aerodynamic design
- it has a comfy and clean blue interior that will make the babes swoon
- the seats fully recline
- it has a pretty decent stereo, with a little 10" sub in the back... may or may not come with it.
- it has a sunroof/mobile shower/hairdryer
- it looks cool from 100 feet away.
- it actually has a pretty neutral handling balance for what it is.
- it's a brick that can fly (kind of)
- it has a beefy, overbuilt B21FT engine that is pretty much bombproof, and can take loads of boost due to its 7.5:1 compression ratio, forged rods, and forged crank. I would recommend a rebuild before taking it to higher levels of tune though, it could probably use rings at least.
- overdrive in the transmission works awesome, which is rare in these cars.
- clean title
- new clutch and timing belt/water pump about 15k ago
- it is a tank of a car.
the not so great things, but not terminal issues:
- it burns oil. the rate it burns at always seems to change, but it definitely burns some oil.
- the transmission makes some noise; might be low on fluid, and might need a fluid change
- it doesn't always like to idle well, and the idle only really "catches" after the rpm's drop quite a bit under idle
- power steering fluid is leaking, haven't had the motivation to find/fix the leak
- windshield has a crack
- I believe the left side ball-joint is quite worn, and could use replacing.
- the roll pin connecting the shift lever to the transmission decided to back out somehow and leave the car for a new life on the road. I needed a quick fix, so there is a bolt and locknut in place of it right now.
- left trunk "buttcheek" is completely disintegrated, best bet would be to weld in new metal. right one has holes, but not as bad.
- I am sure I'm forgetting some things. It is a 30 year old car.
Things I could include for extra money, but would like to keep if possible:
- my new Kenwood deck (I would throw a decent AIWA deck or audiovox tape deck in to replace it)
- Innovate LC-1 wideband o2 sensor, controller, and gauge
- Hella 500 driving lights
- VDO boost gauge
- steelies with General Altimax snow tires, 2 winters on them
I also have a ton of extra parts, if the buyer is interested. swaybars/B21F intake manifold/90+ turbo manifold/CBV's/etc etc.
This thing is not a creampuff. This car would make a decent ghetto hoopty or parts car, but don't even think about making this thing into a project car. Unless you just want to make a really ratty sleeper or something.
video of it cruising around taken just a week ago, before it died:
pictures (all taken sometime within about the past year):
wow, that was long. sorry.
anyways, for now, come tow this thing away for $500? make an offer? trades? I want to get rid of it as soon as possible, I want a miata.