Car
    '91 Audi 200 20v Avant

Default 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Stalling issue

My wife's car has been giving her some problems recently... a few harmless stalls... But today it stalled in an intersection and that's enough for me...

It seems as though the majority of the times it stalls (it's only been a handful) it's from coming to a stop after driving.

3 times while parking... once while coming to a stop turning right at a red light.

At least 1 or 2 of the times I can tell you the tachometer stopped responding briefly, then it stalled... Does that point to the CPS?

Anybody have any other ideas? I'm going to run it for codes but it's tough because she needs it to commute to work

Thanks in advance
    -Drew

Car
    Obscure Vehicles Inc.

scan it, ODBII is a fandangled thing

Car
    '91 Audi 200 20v Avant

yep... will do (mentioned that in the OP) but she works long hours and just figured i'd toss this out there as a hail-mary (maybe someone has dealt with the exact symptoms)?

Car
    91 E30 Alpinweiß II

I have a 2001 gtp and never heard of this problem. Does the cel come on? I vote scan it to, see what it says. Maybe the fuel pump is going bad?

Car
    '91 Audi 200 20v Avant

Unfortunately the CEL is burned out! It has had a harmless emissions code since highschool. Haha. (she's 24 now) But I'll figure out more (hopefully tomorrow) when I scan it.

Car
    2001 allroad 6MT

if I get my vagcom cable back this week I can scan it for you.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Ernest Hemingway

Car
    B6A4 Avant, '90 CQ, Tahoe

Coming to a stall after driving immediately makes me think that the torque converter is not releasing like it should be when you're coasting to a stop.

Car
    Obscure Vehicles Inc.

if it were a grand am and not a grand prix i could give a whole list of things that could be haywire. however since the 3.8 is a superior engine over the 3.4 i have no clue past electronics issues (i know there were several electronics issues pontiac suffered from between 2000-2004 that involved tach signals dropping along with dash power and engine stalls). check some recall sites, i know my mrs grand am in the past went in for a couple and if they extended to the grand prix there may be a free fix waiting at the dealership.

Car
    2001 allroad 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Dwalmop View Post
    Coming to a stall after driving immediately makes me think that the torque converter is not releasing like it should be when you're coasting to a stop.
    I had a cutlass that did this. It was a pretty violent stall, and the TC would not release unless parked for at least 15 minutes. Drove it around like that for 6 months until the neutral drops finally killed it.

1990 Cutlass Calais. 345k miles.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Ernest Hemingway

Car
    02 GTI 1.8t, 12 Golf Tdi

pull the engine cover off and pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and see if there is fuel in the vacuum line.
    you're looking up used handguns at school? welcomed to the flagged student list
    Your cock blocking like half the people on eurowerks with that statement.

Car
    jetta

your post doesnt say anything about the engine size, so i will throw out a few things....

if its the 3100 or 3400, check the Fuel Press Reg as mentioned above. it is also possible that the lower intake gasket is toast and is causing a vac leak. your MAF sensor also may be shot.

if you have the 3100, you have the 4t60e transmission and therefore, it is vacum regulated. it is POSSIBLE, but unlikely, that the vac modulator on the front of the tranny is toast. more than likely, if the problem was the tranny, it wouldnt die, but the trans would have some SUPER hard shifting or no shifts at all.

i dont think your trans or Torque Conv is the issue.

if its the 3800 (non SC), my guess is MAF or if you have the plastc upper intake, its possible that the heat from the EGR location has cracked/warped the upper intake causing a vac leak.